The Humor of 9-11

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nbcrusader

Blue Crack Addict
See, Fly, Die

Stadsschouwburg theatre launched its “great gala of terrorism” under the slogan “See, Fly, Die” -- a play on the “See, Fly, Buy” slogan for duty-free shopping at Amsterdam’s Schiphol airport. The “Y” depicted a diving plane.

I guess poor relations with Europe is Bush's fault......

Well it sure got people's attention which is what marketing is all about I guess. Not that I necessarily agree with it, but I won't exactly use sleep over it either.

The theatre said it aimed to provoke a serious discussion on terrorism, adding this was especially important after the Russian school hostage crisis last week and the bombing of Australia’s embassy in Indonesia on Thursday.

though personally I do think it's rather tasteless it isn't meant to be humour either as suggested in the title of this thread

DrTeeth said:
but I won't exactly use sleep over it either.

That would be 'lose' any sleep over it. :wink:

Maybe something was lost in translation by the phrase "great gala of terrorism".

The website of the Stadsschouwburg speaks of a theme night where the effects of terrorism are discussed by intelligence experts, terrorism experts, historians, criminal law experts etc. So it certainly doesn't look like they're making a mockery out of terrorism or 9-11. They probably just thought the title was a nice way to draw attention to it because of its counterpart.

Well is it much of a surprise? When 9/11 happened, one thing we really didn't see on the news was people in other parts of the world rejoicing about our tragedy. Tasteless yes, but you have to wonder how and why it has gotten to the point where Americans are viewed at the way we are.

AcrobatMan said:
humor about 9/11 :down:

making movie or documentary about 9/11 for monetory purposes :down:

where is moore ?

because using NYC as a backdrop for the RNC is so much better.

eh, let them have their humor. I see people standing in front of the Trade Center site everyday taking pictures in front of the hole smiling as if the place is Disneyland. That's more offensive to me than a Dutch play.

sharky said:
eh, let them have their humor. I see people standing in front of the Trade Center site everyday taking pictures in front of the hole smiling as if the place is Disneyland. That's more offensive to me than a Dutch play.

I would suggest they are taking pictures like they would at any other memorial - without the cutsie slogans.

A bit off topic maybe, but still related: I'm interested in everybody's opinion on black humor. It's a very touchy subject for many people. Some consider it tasteless, but I think that it can be a way of dealing with things (or running away from dealing with them).
Sometimes when you live in a reality so horrible, black humor is a legit way of dealing with it. Laughing about the terrible things you're going trough can help. The important thing is, though, the company you have around you when black humor pups up. Not everybody reacts well to it.

A reality of terror attacks here in Israel brought "prosperity" to black humor. Just among friends, in stand up comedy and at times even on prime time TV.
A more taboo area of black humor concerns the holocaust. There is a huge amount of holocaust jocks around, but maybe the word 'underground' describes its status the best. And there are a few jocks I've heard on 9/11 as well, but in no way rejoicing this things happened. It's just there, this black humor thing. We've gotten used to having it around.

Maybe there's an insensitivity that grows the more and more you're exposed to this kind of reality. I think that a lot of people here have developed it as a sort of a mental shield against the reality their living in.

sarit said:
A bit off topic maybe, but still related: I'm interested in everybody's opinion on black humor. It's a very touchy subject for many people. Some consider it tasteless, but I think that it can be a way of dealing with things (or running away from dealing with them).
Sometimes when you live in a reality so horrible, black humor is a legit way of dealing with it. Laughing about the terrible things you're going trough can help. The important thing is, though, the company you have around you when black humor pups up. Not everybody reacts well to it.

A reality of terror attacks here in Israel brought "prosperity" to black humor. Just among friends, in stand up comedy and at times even on prime time TV.
A more taboo area of black humor concerns the holocaust. There is a huge amount of holocaust jocks around, but maybe the word 'underground' describes its status the best. And there are a few jocks I've heard on 9/11 as well, but in no way rejoicing this things happened. It's just there, this black humor thing. We've gotten used to having it around.

Maybe there's an insensitivity that grows the more and more you're exposed to this kind of reality. I think that a lot of people here have developed it as a sort of a mental shield against the reality their living in.

Excellent post. Humour is one of the best shields against relentless pain and fear, and it is found in most truly horrid situations. On a much smaller scale than what your post addresses, sarit, I found myself overcome by a case of the giggles many many times in the week after my mom's death. I'm sure the funeral director thought my sister and I were bonkers as we guffawed our way through planning mom's "services" (apparently it's completely unheard of in the area to want a memorial service where people just wanter around and talk to each other -- no speakers! oh my!). It's simply a release valve.

As for this "gala," I think it was done to draw attention to it, and it has done that. The play/discussion itself sounds interesting and perhaps informative.

it depends, if a mother loses her 3-4 sons shot in a war i don't think humour might bring them back, i think humour has nothing to do with death, i really can't connect these two things together

humor can be a way to protect, to react.
Anyway I think it's very important to keep on demostrating respects for all the living and the dead.

This morning I woke with a strange feeling. I didn't know what was the right thing to do during this day.
I switched on the radio and u2's New York was there. all of a sudden I realise it's not about all the things that came after what happened on 9/11, it's just that we should pray and remember what happened.

I'm not a fan of Jimmy Buffet, but I always liked the line "If we couldn't laugh, we'd all go insane." Sums it up for me.

sarit said:
Sometimes when you live in a reality so horrible, black humor is a legit way of dealing with it. Laughing about the terrible things you're going trough can help.

The Urban Legends site, Snopes.com, does touch on that subject in a couple of links:
http://www.snopes.com/rumors/adultery.htm
http://www.snopes.com/rumors/onejew.htm

People in certain professions (morgue workers, executioners, etc.) do tend to develop a "gallows humor" about their jobs as a sanity-saver. Those outside the job cannot understand it.

Back
Top Bottom