The Hoohaa Monologues - Page 9 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2007, 02:40 PM   #121
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:06 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem
I think there's a big difference between being uncomfortable with basic body parts and simply feeling that something might not be appropriate to be on a marquee.

I don't agree that it's inappropriate, but I understand why some people feel it is. That doesn't automatically mean they won't talk about sex with their kids, or that they'll call body parts by a silly name, it just means they don't think it's appropriate to have "Vagina Monologues" or "Puppetry of the Penis," or "Ernest XII: Ernest Has a Big Butt" splashed across a marquee.

Now, if they're going to raise a holy stink about it or pressure someone into changing it, I think that's silly. But I understand why some people just might not think it's the greatest thing in the world.

My parents, for instance, made sure I knew about sex, and used proper terms. But I think they fall into the group that feels these types of things are inappropriate. I don't think that makes them sad, and there certainly isn't anything wrong with them. I think that view is a little old-fashioned, and that's okay. I don't think the same way, but it's okay.

I just feel like this thread is turning into a little bit of "let's point at 80sU2isbest and his ilk and laugh at them! Look at how sad and afraid of sex and the female body they are!"

Sorry if I've misinterpreted.
Thank you so much for understanding that and defending me. It means a lot to me - a whole lot.

Old 02-11-2007, 02:57 PM   #122
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

I just feel like this thread is turning into a little bit of "let's point at 80sU2isbest and his ilk and laugh at them! Look at how sad and afraid of sex and the female body they are!"
Well that's certainly not my intent at all, like I said I understand his view even though I don't agree-and I respect it even though I don't agree. But as a female I do still feel that it is shaming to women, and I feel that Bono's Saint brought up some valid issues about male vs female sexuality. And maybe I am also viewing it from my personal perspective-my parents didn't use the words and they certainly didn't speak to me honestly and directly about sex and related issues. That is the sad fact. As I recall my mother just said something to the effect that if I had any questions blah blah.. Avoidance was the way they handled it. Somehow I developed my own personal views based upon my own moral views (which were influenced somewhat by them) and how I educated myself. In many ways I am who I am in spite of my parents, not because of them. But it doesn't always work that way.

It's the name of the play, it's not any sort of titillating and/or gratuitous display of the word vagina for senseless purposes. It just seems to me that having an issue with that is sort of the point of the play. I haven't seen it, maybe someone here has and can comment on that. No one has to attend the play, so ultimately why is it really any sort of important issue to have that word on a marquee? Kids will be exposed to harm on a much worse level just by watching the news, if you let them do that. Just in day to day contact in school, which a parent has no control over. It's the word for a body part, it's not a dirty or offensive word. If someone thinks it is, I just don't see them being able to have any sort of true communication about sex with their kids.

Old 02-11-2007, 03:11 PM   #123
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen

No one has to attend the play, so ultimately why is it really any sort of important issue to have that word on a marquee?
Well that's exactly the point of the thread, not what 80s believes or what anyone else would teach their children. Rather, why would people object to seeing this word on a theatre marquee, particularly in light of the fact the child in question was 12 years old.

80s is the one who made this thread about 4 year olds running around yelling the word, and about class and modesty. That's not the central question - rather it is, why is it that in this day and age, people feel it is their business to want to remove words like this from public places when their context is one of artistic expression and not of vulgarity.
Old 02-11-2007, 03:12 PM   #124
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:06 PM
Quote:
'Monologues' in, 'Hoohah' out from marquee

By ROGER BULL
The Times-Union

The Vagina Monologues will open next week in Atlantic Beach, name and sign intact. But it's been an interesting journey to 'Hoohaa' and back again.

--------------------------------------------------

When the play's name went up on the marquee at Atlantic Theatres, one woman let the theater know she was offended. So the theater changed the marquee to read The Hoohaa Monologues.

"We only had one complaint," said Tom Fallon, the theater's general manager. "But we decided to have some fun with it. We are a comedy club. It was just a kind of joke. But then we found out the people putting it on are not legally allowed to change the name. So we changed it back for them."

The play, in which women talk about their vaginas, is being put on by students and faculty at Florida Coastal School of Law. It runs Thursday, Friday and Saturday with proceeds donated to anti-violence charities.

He said he's had no complaints since The Vagina Monologues went back on the marquee Thursday. But word of the change had already gone global.

It was on CNN and quickly spread over the Internet. One British Web site ran the story with this headline: "No vaginas please, we're Floridian."

And the theater has been swamped with e-mails, most of them upset with the original change.

Is this a tempest in a tea cup?

One person complained?

Because her niece asked what vagina meant?

I guess she told her it was a "hoohaa".
Old 02-11-2007, 03:16 PM   #125
Blue Crack Distributor

I like that the theater changed the name to be funny, not to cave to a protestor. That's kind of funny in itself.
Old 02-11-2007, 03:20 PM   #126
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:36 PM
I think they should no longer refer to male chickens as cocks. And people named Richard can no longer be referred to as Dick.

Also, spotted dick and head cheese should be renamed along with pussy cat and pussy willow. Also, from now on the planet Uranus shall be called Urbumbum.
Old 02-11-2007, 03:22 PM   #127
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:06 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

Well that's exactly the point of the thread, not what 80s believes or what anyone else would teach their children. Rather, why would people object to seeing this word on a theatre marquee, particularly in light of the fact the child in question was 12 years old.

80s is the one who made this thread about 4 year olds running around yelling the word, and about class and modesty. That's not the central question - rather it is, why is it that in this day and age, people feel it is their business to want to remove words like this from public places when their context is one of artistic expression and not of vulgarity.
Old 02-11-2007, 03:25 PM   #128
Blue Crack Distributor

I agree about the point of the thread, and like I said, sorry if I misinterpreted anyone's posts. I just felt like some people were piling on, and felt that maybe some of it was due to misunderstanding.

But anyway. Carry on.
Old 02-11-2007, 03:26 PM   #129
The Male

Not to go too far off-topic, but there was this TV show for kids 6-10 that used to be on called PB&J Otter: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PB&J_Otter

The place where they live is called Lake Hoohaw.

I don't think I can even look at that show anymore with a straight face.

Now.
Old 02-11-2007, 03:28 PM   #130
Blue Crack Distributor

I think my favorite silly name for vagina is "bajingo," which I heard on Scrubs.

Old 02-11-2007, 03:36 PM   #131
The Male

Quote:
I think my favorite silly name for vagina is "bajingo," which I heard on Scrubs.

Where do people come up with these names? A vagina doesn't look like a hoohaa or a bajingo.
Old 02-11-2007, 03:38 PM   #132
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:36 PM
Pink Taco anyone? She must have made the phone call.

http://www.comedycentral.com/motherl...&is_large=true

What's a four letter word for snatch?

Grab!

Oooh, get your mind out of the gutter!!
Old 02-11-2007, 03:40 PM   #133
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by trevster2k
head cheese
There's just no use for head cheese anyway.
Old 02-11-2007, 03:57 PM   #134
The Male

Quote:
Originally posted by trevster2k
Pink Taco anyone? She must have made the phone call.

http://www.comedycentral.com/motherl...&is_large=true
Old 02-11-2007, 04:16 PM   #135
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
I agree about the point of the thread, and like I said, sorry if I misinterpreted anyone's posts. I just felt like some people were piling on, and felt that maybe some of it was due to misunderstanding.

But anyway. Carry on.
You didn't misinterpret anyone's posts. Many people who have dfirected a post to me did indeed make the assumption that just because I don't think it's appropriate to have the word on a theatre marquee, that I'm afraid of the the body part words and that I wouldn't talk to my kids about female body parts or sex. They made that assumption based on absolutely nothing that I said, even though I have repeatedly stated otherwise. You were right to take them to task for this mischaracterization of me, and I thank you for that.