The Hoohaa Monologues - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2007, 06:50 PM   #106
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:22 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha

No. It's pointless discussing anything with you.
That's how I feel about people who clearly say something and continue to deny it even when I lay it right out in front of their eyes.

Old 02-10-2007, 07:51 PM   #107
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

I gurantee you that not most, but every single one of you, is more liberal than me. Geoge Bush is more liberal than me. Believe me, though, that most of the people I know are also very conservative, and everyone of them would be uncomfortable with these things.
I don't have a problem with the word. I just don't think it's appropriate for public display unless it serves some sort of health or medical purpose. But you're right, that if I were to have kids (I'd probably have to adopt ), it would be very difficult for me to discuss sex with them.

I can't believe that George Bush is more liberal than you are. There's nothing wrong with that, to be sure, but I have to use my imagination to figure out what your phiilosophy is, since I'm, uh, a few shades more liberal. I understand where you're coming from with public display, but I don't agree with it. As an artist myself, I don't do explicit stuff in my work--for starters, I suck as a figure drawer and it takes a really good figure drawer to do explicit stuff. I wouldn't be comfortable doing it if I were a good figure drawer. But hell, Ingres did nudes, and he was a really conservative guy. But as a practicing Catholic myself there are certain things I wouldn't be comfortable drawing.

Old 02-10-2007, 08:10 PM   #108
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:22 AM
this thread is funny.
Old 02-10-2007, 10:04 PM   #109
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:22 AM
"The Vagalog"
Old 02-11-2007, 02:33 AM   #110
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
this thread is funny.
...and sad at the same time.

I think people who are afraid for the word vagina,..are afraid for their own sexuality and project it on the children.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:44 AM   #111
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Rono
...and sad at the same time.

I think people who are afraid for the word vagina,..are afraid for their own sexuality and project it on the children.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:46 AM   #112
Cin
Blue Crack Addict

Location: in the gutter, looking at the stars. . .and smiling
Local Time: 09:22 PM
At primary school we always called it your "baby hole". The front part was called your "fanny". This always caused lots of laughs when watching American TV. We thought they were so rude and didn't realise they were only talking about yo;ur bum.
Old 02-11-2007, 03:35 AM   #113
The Male

Quote:
this thread is funny.
vaginavaginavaginavaginavaginavagina

I'm a dirty pervert.

Seriously, there's nothing wrong with the word itself, it's WHY and HOW it's used. I doubt anyone who sees the name of a sexual organ on a marquee will automatically want to start shagging.
Old 02-11-2007, 04:03 AM   #114
Refugee

Location: The city of blinding lights and amazing coffee - Melbourne.
Local Time: 10:22 PM
I think society has sexualised everything to the point where everything on the body is shamesful and needs to be covered up - we have stupid names for body parts that are there for a reason and people get all funny when talking about it.
I don't understand the fear of sex/sexuality etc. We were made to have sex, truly back in ye olde days thats all they bloody did - nothing else to do! Its an instinct - natural - and EVERYONE has done it so why the hang ups?
Do we think if a boy knows what a vagina is, he will turn into a dirty perv? Or a girl will become promiscious if she knows the word penis?

I agree that parents should have the final say in raising their children, but when it comes to the most basic things, you are fucking your children up. Making them ashamed, or confusing them, or even just not regarding anything about sex (AND sexuality) is like denying their very existance. And i just don't understand why?
Old 02-11-2007, 04:13 AM   #115
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

I was talking about this story to a friend of mine tonight and he reminded me of a guy we went to high school with...

To say this guy was sheltered would be an understatement, I felt sorry for this guy, his parents were constantly writing excuse letters anytime we had a sex talk or body part talk in school. The boy was 17 and still refering to his penis as his "sacred part".

At our 10 year reunion the guy was divorced twice with 2 children with 2 diffierent wives... He had no clue about birth control, he married to have sex, and still can't talk about any of it.
Old 02-11-2007, 04:17 AM   #116
The Male

Quote:
I was talking about this story to a friend of mine tonight and he reminded me of a guy we went to high school with...

To say this guy was sheltered would be an understatement, I felt sorry for this guy, his parents were constantly writing excuse letters anytime we had a sex talk or body part talk in school. The boy was 17 and still refering to his penis as his "sacred part".

At our 10 year reunion the guy was divorced twice with 2 children with 2 diffierent wives... He had no clue about birth control, he married to have sex, and still can't talk about any of it.
Damn, that's sad.

I've always been very sheltered. I don't know if I've ever heard my parents use the word vagina before (they never used a replacement word for it, it just never really came up ) but my parents (mostly my dad...my mom is definitely the conservative type) have always been open about sex, masturbation, etc. It's awkward sometimes, but after reading that, I'm pretty grateful.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:46 AM   #117
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:22 AM
I respect everyone's views about sexuality and how they want their children to be taught, their potential children-whatever. And I try by best not to make judgments about those views. But basically I don't believe that you can separate it from self-esteem issues in kids/teens and healthy views about sexuality and relationships. As some people have alluded to here, sometimes the more you try to avoid and conceal and protect, the more the whole issue becomes a problem.

I think the tendency might be for some to believe that the more "open" some people might be about sex, the more permissive they might be or the more "wild" or whatever terms you might use. And that really isn't fair or true in many cases. I just think that communication with kids is tied in with this whole issue and it's one of the biggest jobs of a parent to create and encourage healthy self images for kids and not shame. And to have your child feel comfortable enough to come to you about anything and everything. When they can do that they won't need to go elsewhere. And honestly I just don't see how that is possible when someone gets that upset and that uncomfortable over the word vagina being on a marquee.
Old 02-11-2007, 12:19 PM   #118
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:22 AM
I think the more you use euphemisms the more you make something sound dirty and taboo and, ironically, increase the interest in it. And realistically, that taboo is mostly put upon on women. There is no empowering sense of bonding like teaching your son to pee in the snow--a kind of a celebration. For women, it's don't say it, don't show it, make sure you cover up its odor. Okay, there is the obligatory "Now you're a woman speech", but that's about it.

And Mrs. S. is right. Somehow, sometimes the message gets ingrained that it is something shameful or dirty.

You'll even see the difference in discussion between male and female masturbation. Age old fear of women's sexuality? I don't know.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:33 PM   #119
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:22 AM
Alot of this is really sad. People who aren't comfortable with basic body parts have something wrong with them. If you feel like you have to keep something hidden you've got problems with life.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:13 PM   #120
Blue Crack Distributor

I think there's a big difference between being uncomfortable with basic body parts and simply feeling that something might not be appropriate to be on a marquee.

I don't agree that it's inappropriate, but I understand why some people feel it is. That doesn't automatically mean they won't talk about sex with their kids, or that they'll call body parts by a silly name, it just means they don't think it's appropriate to have "Vagina Monologues" or "Puppetry of the Penis," or "Ernest XII: Ernest Has a Big Butt" splashed across a marquee.

Now, if they're going to raise a holy stink about it or pressure someone into changing it, I think that's silly. But I understand why some people just might not think it's the greatest thing in the world.

My parents, for instance, made sure I knew about sex, and used proper terms. But I think they fall into the group that feels these types of things are inappropriate. I don't think that makes them sad, and there certainly isn't anything wrong with them. I think that view is a little old-fashioned, and that's okay. I don't think the same way, but it's okay.

I just feel like this thread is turning into a little bit of "let's point at 80sU2isbest and his ilk and laugh at them! Look at how sad and afraid of sex and the female body they are!"

Sorry if I've misinterpreted.