The Hoohaa Monologues - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2007, 11:07 AM   #91
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 10:28 PM
Hey, I finally had something productive to say in FYM!

Old 02-10-2007, 11:09 AM   #92
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:28 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem, corrected by U2Man
Why does having to explain what a "vagina" is mean that you would have to have the big Sex Discussion? Couldn't you just say "it's the most important part of a woman's body"?

Old 02-10-2007, 11:10 AM   #93
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:28 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by indra

Do you really believe that all of the rest of us in this thread have no modesty, class and decorum because we can say the word vagina and not feel it's inappropriate?
I'm not saying you have no class, modesty or decorum. And I'm not talking about "saying the word". But if were at a party, and someone starting talking about that, I would think it was classless and showed no decorum.

Quote:

I've also been wondering something else -- a while back there was a thread on asexuality and you commented that according to the website on asexuality mentioned in the initial post you would be asexual. Do you think your lack of interest in sex is part of the reason you are uncomfortable with this play and the word vagina? Do you think that this lack of interest in sex makes you more uncomfortable with the possibility of discussing sex with your child? I don't mean to be rude, but wouldn't you discussing sex be a bit like a priest discussing marriage so that would be why you don't feel comfortable doing it?
Jiminy Cricket, I can't believe you remember that. You have a good memory. To be honest, you're probably right to an extent. But the "class, modesty, and decorum" is still part of the reason, also. I guess it's a combination of all of it.

Quote:
I ask this in all seriousness. I mean you've commented several times that you are of a generation that values "modesty, class and decorum" but in this thread are several of us within that same generation and although most of us are more liberal than you,
I gurantee you that not most, but every single one of you, is more liberal than me. Geoge Bush is more liberal than me. Believe me, though, that most of the people I know are also very conservative, and everyone of them would be uncomfortable with these things.

Quote:
I suspect none of us are major swingers or kink-meisters (well maybe just a little ), and we certainly don't seem to have the same problem with the word or with the prospect of discussing sex with children.
I don't have a problem with the word. I just don't think it's appropriate for public display unless it serves some sort of health or medical purpose. But you're right, that if I were to have kids (I'd probably have to adopt ), it would be very difficult for me to discuss sex with them.
Old 02-10-2007, 11:14 AM   #94
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem, corrected by U2Man
Why does having to explain what a "vagina" is mean that you would have to have the big Sex Discussion? Couldn't you just say "it's the most important part of a woman's body"?
I'm sorry, no. My brain is the most important part of my body, thanks very much.

Old 02-10-2007, 11:15 AM   #95
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem
Hey, I finally had something productive to say in FYM!

Sure you did, it was a great point, and you delivered it in a nice polite way. People are more likely to take stock of what you're saying when it's delivered in your style, rather than the childish, provoking style of a couple of other posters.
Old 02-10-2007, 11:21 AM   #96
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

I'm sorry, no. My brain is the most important part of my body, thanks very much.

thats not what they taught me in school.
Old 02-10-2007, 11:24 AM   #97
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Man

thats not what they taught me in school.
Well, if that's what they're teaching in school, no wonder there are still too many people who think that way.

And thanks, 80sU2.
Old 02-10-2007, 11:30 AM   #98
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest
it would be very difficult for me to discuss sex with them.
And this is why I have to do it in school and why many people who find it "difficult" don't sign the permission slip.

And why we still have a high teen pregnancy rate in the US.
Old 02-10-2007, 11:49 AM   #99
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by martha

And this is why I have to do it in school and why many people who find it "difficult" don't sign the permission slip.

And why we still have a high teen pregnancy rate in the US.
Martha, good grief, did you read my earlier post in which I said that I would talk to my kids about it? Are you hung up on the fact that it would be "difficult" for me? I've got news for you, Martha, it's difficult for many parents, but they still know they need to, so they do.

Still, I do find humor in the fact that you are blaming me for the high teen pregnancy rate, specially considering that Hollywood constantly bombards our kids with movies, tv shows and advertisements that promote sex as if it were "no big deal".
Old 02-10-2007, 12:03 PM   #100
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:

Well, if that's what they're teaching in school, no wonder there are still too many people who think that way.

And thanks, 80sU2.
It's just Denmark. It's just some five to six million.

Quote:

Still, I do find humor in the fact that you are blaming me for the high teen pregnancy rate, specially considering that Hollywood constantly bombards our kids with movies, tv shows and advertisements that promote sex as if it were "no big deal".
Yes, that's crazy indeed.
There is nearly no movie that doesn't have a sex scene.
And so often you just ask yourself: "How does that fit into the context of this movie?"
Old 02-10-2007, 01:06 PM   #101
She's the One

Quote:

To paraphrase you, go back and reread what I said. I didn't say you were responsible for the high teen preganancy rate. I was blaming reluctant, uptight parents in general. If you feel that shoe fits you, go ahead and wear it proudly.
Old 02-10-2007, 01:22 PM   #102
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

To paraphrase you, go back and reread what I said. I didn't say you were responsible for the high teen preganancy rate. I was blaming reluctant, uptight parents in general. If you feel that shoe fits you, go ahead and wear it proudly.
No, you blamed me and others.

You responded to something that I said about myself. I said "It would be difficult for me to discuss sex with my kids", and you said "That is why I have to do it in school" and "and why we still have a high teen pregnancy rate in the US".

How is that not blaming me?
Old 02-10-2007, 02:46 PM   #103
She's the One

I give up. Be as repressed and "classy" as you want. There's still nothing wrong with children knowing the proper words for body parts. There's nothing wrong with tastefully done art that respectfully uses the correct terms for actual body parts.
Old 02-10-2007, 04:06 PM   #104
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
I give up.
Which means that you realize that the way you worded what you wrote does indeed look like you were blaming me?

Quote:
Be as repressed and "classy" as you want. (1) There's still nothing wrong with children knowing the proper words for body parts. There's nothing wrong with tastefully done art that respectfully uses the correct terms for actual body parts.
(1) Never said there was anything wrong with that. I don't know how anyone could take anything that I said and make it out to be me saying that children shouldn't know the correct terms for body parts.

(2) Never said there was anything wrong with that, either. I just said that there are certain things that are inappropriate in certain places.
Old 02-10-2007, 04:10 PM   #105
She's the One

Quote:
Which means that you realize that the way you worded what you wrote does indeed look like you were blaming me?
No. It's pointless discussing anything with you.