The Hoohaa Monologues - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2007, 01:14 PM   #61
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:35 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

But there is still no connection between what you said and I what said about class, because of this: just because a parent doesn't want his/her child to see that word in public doesn't mean that parent is going to tell lies about body parts or make up words for it.
Then what are they worried about? Your definition of class says it's not alright, while other's definition of class says they are proud to be a woman and that they indeed have a vagina and there isn't anything to hide or be ashamed of.

Old 02-09-2007, 01:22 PM   #62
Rock n' Roll Doggie

BTW, I don´t think class has anything to do with selective ignorance.

Old 02-09-2007, 01:43 PM   #63
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:35 AM
Well I was raised to put stock in modesty, class, and decorum- and I highly value all three. And by parents who come from a more traditional and conservative generation. But I still feel the way I do about that marquee and about how I feel it is somehow shaming to women to have an issue with it-and that you should be honest and straightforward with kids about their bodies and sex and sexuality.That is the optimum way as I see it to work towards open and honest communication, self respect, and respect for their bodies and their sexuality. In an age appropriate way, and in a way that's appropriate for the individuality of your child.

There's nothing wrong with my values, and I say that in all modesty In fact I think they're pretty damn good.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:48 PM   #64
Blue Crack Addict

I understand the point behind modesty, yadda yadda, but this is a play! This is art. Since when do we expect art to be so innocent and modest? Not to mention, this play has been around for a while, this isn't anything new.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:51 PM   #65
Blue Crack Distributor

what ammuses me the most is that this theatre company probably picked the silliest name for vagina they could think of and are pretty much just mocking the people who complained about the play's title and these parents are just too stupid to realize it.

perhaps sarcasm isn't dead yet
Old 02-09-2007, 01:55 PM   #66
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by BrownEyedBoy
BTW, I don´t think class has anything to do with selective ignorance.
This should be good; please show me in anything that I have written about this any evidence that I am choosing to be ignorant about anything.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:00 PM   #67
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Over at salon.com there was this letter in the comments section about this incident which I found interesting.

Quote:
Don't get your panties in a bunch. "Hoohaa" is an obvious publicity gimmick by the local theater.

The author and licensing agency are not so dumb that they didn't foresee objections to public displays of the word "Vagina," whether from members of local communities or local advertising venues.

The authorized alternate title, under which "The Vagina Monologues" has been advertised countless times, is "The V Monologues," with an artfully stylized V (think pubis and use your imagination) provided by the licensing company.

Old 02-09-2007, 02:04 PM   #68
Blue Crack Addict

So whenever that play is advertised anywhere they don't even use the word vagina? Isn't that contrary to the whole point of the play?
Old 02-09-2007, 02:28 PM   #69
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:35 AM
Isn't the word vagina nicer than a stylized V?
Old 02-09-2007, 02:44 PM   #70
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I'm not saying I prefer it one way or the other. I just think it is interesting that the owners chose NOT to use the option already available to them.

Old 02-09-2007, 03:45 PM   #71
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

I'm sure people would have still raised a stink about V as well.
Old 02-09-2007, 04:59 PM   #72
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 05:35 AM
Always amazing to me when people are offended by the proper name for something. Not as amazing though as when grownups use childish terms for them in all seriousness. I never quite take the grownup seriously after that. I may use the vulgarisms, but I don't use the silly shit.

I was taught all the proper words very young. My parents would have thought it was ridiculous to teach me something different. Apparently though I was the first kid to know in school and I got in trouble from the other kids' parents for passing on how the babies get made, lol. Don't think it traumitized me any. Although apparently it traumatized the other kids.

Guess which kids got knocked up later?
Old 02-09-2007, 08:00 PM   #73
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:05 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

most people of my generation and previous will have different values and beliefs concerning this than more recent generations.
Please speak for yourself, I am two years younger than you and none of my peers consider this to be a problem.

We think it is bible-thumpers afraid of the devil's work again.

Flee, flee child of the devil!!

I think they ought to ban women riding white horses across the beach discussing freshness and absorbancy too. God forbid a kid asks a question about the commercial. But then again, some people would tell them some odd story instead of the truth leading to phone calls to Sex with Sue Johannsan by 16 year old girls asking if you stand on your head after sex will it stop you from getting pregnant or can you get pregnant from kissing.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:56 PM   #74
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by trevster2k

We think it is bible-thumpers afraid of the devil's work again.

Flee, flee child of the devil!!
I see that you graduated from Juvenile Behavior 101 along with Browneyed Boy. Who were your professors - Beavis and Butthead?

Quote:
Originally posted by trevster2k
I think they ought to ban women riding white horses across the beach discussing freshness and absorbancy too. God forbid a kid asks a question about the commercial. But then again, some people would tell them some odd story instead of the truth leading to phone calls to Sex with Sue Johannsan by 16 year old girls asking if you stand on your head after sex will it stop you from getting pregnant or can you get pregnant from kissing.
You're using the same faulty logic that others have: you assume that just because some people consider certain things inappropriate for public display, that those same people wouldn't have honest and frank discussions with their kids about sex and the human body. There is no correlation.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:25 PM   #75
Blue Crack Addict

So I ask again, if they are having these honest and frank discussions, why would they care if their child saw the word vagina on a theatre marquee? Presumably, these honest and frank discussions would have concluded in the parent informing their "four year old" that it's not acceptable to go around saying vagina "all the time."