The Hoohaa Monologues - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2007, 04:48 PM   #31
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:11 PM
I still want to know what 4 year old was reading this theatre billboard?

Old 02-08-2007, 05:47 PM   #32
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:11 AM
I think a 4-year old wouldn't run around yelling 'vagina.' They'd find 'butt' much more amusing.

Old 02-08-2007, 06:41 PM   #33
Jesus Online

Local Time: 04:11 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by blueeyedgirl

Did you?
This is the whole point, isn't it. There's nothing offensive about a vagina. And it seems no one can name any child who has ever had this word get out of hand from overuse and reactionary taunting, as 4 year olds do love to do.

I respect 80s view where it's better to take precaution and avoid difficult situations with kids who are too young to understand, but I do think it is unrealistic and more an issue with the parent and onlookers who get into a flap than it is with a child.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:47 PM   #34
Refugee

Location: The city of blinding lights and amazing coffee - Melbourne.
People are so over the top about the smallest things now adays. Do you think this inadvertatly leads to what the parent is really scared of?

Like a parent of a child i used to babysit used to tell him his penis was yucky and naughty and if he touched it bad things would happen to him. He was also told that it was used for dirty despicable things you only do with someone you love (hows that for a headfuck saying?) He was so terrified he would wet himself rather then touch it to go to the toilet. Later on he realised (like a lot of teenagers that was to piss off their parents) that being rather upfront and graphic about sex and masturbation pissed his mum off, so he would sleep around and i was always hearing stories about him getting caught having a wank at school. Anyway he's now 14 and has a child with one girl and got another girl pregnant. I mean this is just one story, but looking at it, the message his mum gave him, instead of warning him off anything sexual just made him go in the other direction... its interesting.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:47 PM   #35
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
I respect 80s view where it's better to take precaution and avoid difficult situations with kids who are too young to understand
But driving by a theater marquee?

When does the "won't somebody think of the children" attitude end, and the "let's live our lives like regular people" begin?
Old 02-08-2007, 07:07 PM   #36
The Male

Quote:
Originally posted by dazzlingamy
People are so over the top about the smallest things now adays. Do you think this inadvertatly leads to what the parent is really scared of?

Like a parent of a child i used to babysit used to tell him his penis was yucky and naughty and if he touched it bad things would happen to him. He was also told that it was used for dirty despicable things you only do with someone you love (hows that for a headfuck saying?) He was so terrified he would wet himself rather then touch it to go to the toilet. Later on he realised (like a lot of teenagers that was to piss off their parents) that being rather upfront and graphic about sex and masturbation pissed his mum off, so he would sleep around and i was always hearing stories about him getting caught having a wank at school. Anyway he's now 14 and has a child with one girl and got another girl pregnant. I mean this is just one story, but looking at it, the message his mum gave him, instead of warning him off anything sexual just made him go in the other direction... its interesting.
Wow...I think that says it all.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:08 PM   #37
Babyface

Local Time: 05:11 PM
lol, why do i sense that this is being billed as just another commonplace issue..
Old 02-08-2007, 08:17 PM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:41 PM
http://www.nearlygood.com/audio/vaginasong.html

They should be playing this on loudspeakers outside the theatre!!
Old 02-08-2007, 09:12 PM   #39
Jesus Online

Quote:
Originally posted by martha

But driving by a theater marquee?

When does the "won't somebody think of the children" attitude end, and the "let's live our lives like regular people" begin?
I agree with you. I am also lazy, though, as some might know I have a 4 year old (and I thought this 4* yo angle was only a generic example anyway?) and she only knows letters and basic words. As for her saying vagina, it's not a dirty word and I dont actually care. I get irritated when she repeats any word incessantly, and this would be the same. She is most certainly going to learn what a vagina is in a few years, along with penis and sex and homosexuality and fallopian tubes. If she asked what was on a billboard and happened to ask, I'd tell her anyway.

Upshot is if people want to get concerned over it, that is their right. I'm not going to, nor ever make a fuss for the sake of someone else. If someone has a massive problem then they can get all tired over the effort of it. "wont someone think of the children" is a funny one. I only have my own child as experience but given my open attitutude with things and the relative free rein she has to learn about whatever she wants, she's still 4 and still has narrow vision. Her main interests in life are painting, these 2 little friends of hers, stealing her sisters' care bear, what's for dinner, and making words from letter magnets. She can know what a vagina is, but it wont alter her reason for living which is a pink and a green care bear.

*edit: had originally written 40 year old, lol
Old 02-08-2007, 09:25 PM   #40
She's the One

Old 02-08-2007, 11:25 PM   #41
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

My cousin's 3 year old asked "mommy where's your penis, did it fall off?" Instead of making up some story, she explained to him that mommies have vaginas and don't have penises. The child never went around repeating the word or asking everyone about it. Children are curious, that's the nature of childhood. Be honest with them...
good post!

i think ESP if the parent etc just says it as a matter-of-fact......
.....then kids don't pick up the or Vibes that MIGHT INDUCE them to GO running around repeating the word/s................ to get attention or a reaction out of grownups.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:30 PM   #42
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by martha

Get over it, 80s. It's not a swear word. Although some of the people you vote for might think it is.

RTG martha!

Sorry 80's-- I was when i was a young to mid-teen really one of those "prissy" [hope that IS one of the words i'm thinking of....or maybe priggish? No Thesaurous at the Net cafe ]....
...and I'm so glad i thought myself away from that type of thinking over time.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:36 PM   #43
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by CTU2fan
^ Exactly. It's just a body part, jeez.

The theatre should have changed "vagina" to "pussy", the concerned citizens would have been begging them to change it back before the paint was even dry.
OMG!!!!!!

THAT"ll teach 'em!

Old 02-08-2007, 11:42 PM   #44
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by dazzlingamy

Jeezzzzz...............
THAT is SO sad! for everyone invovled

Do you know that during the ......... the Clinton era..... .abortions DECREASED because at least in SOME places MORE real sex ed was being taught!
Old 02-09-2007, 01:20 AM   #45
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:11 AM
So, that trend has continued under Bush.