The Hoohaa Monologues - Page 11 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2007, 01:45 AM   #151
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:47 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem

Ah, I misunderstood. Apologies.
There's no apologies necessary. I could have worded it better.

Old 02-12-2007, 03:26 AM   #152
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:47 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by dazzledbylight

Uh, no it HASN'T....the rate of abortions has climbed up again.
So said the Democrats last election cycle citing a report that was later superceeded by one by the Alan Guttmacher Institute which came to a different conclusion. The rate of decrease does seem to have dropped though.

Old 02-12-2007, 09:06 AM   #153
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

You said "as a female I do still feel that it is shaming to women". What would have been a more accurate statement would have been "as a female looking at the issue form a certain standpoint", because not all women agree with you. For instance, my best female friend thinks it's inappropriate. She has no "hangups" about female body parts. She has no "hangups" about sex.
I hardly expect or believe that all or any women agree with me, I'm hardly that pompous. I said "as a female" because I am one. That's all I meant by it.

And the fact is that men are not shamed about their bodies and their sexuality the way women are- even still in 2007. That doesn't mean that I want to throw all modesty out the window, because I certainly don't. That's quite a leap in logic for anyone to make
Old 02-12-2007, 12:45 PM   #154
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen

I hardly expect or believe that all or any women agree with me, I'm hardly that pompous. I said "as a female" because I am one. That's all I meant by it.
And I just wanted to let you know that not everyone did agree with your view point. The reason I wanted to make that clear is that while you aren't that pompous, and have even been so gracious as to say that you can understand my view point, several people in this thread have implied or outright stated that there's something wrong with people like me who don't agree with them on this issue.

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
And the fact is that men are not shamed about their bodies and their sexuality the way women are- even still in 2007. That doesn't mean that I want to throw all modesty out the window, because I certainly don't. That's quite a leap in logic for anyone to make
Who made that leap of logic? Not me. I wouldn't think that of you.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:18 PM   #155
Refugee

Ahhh... just another thread of intolerance toward a conservative point of view.

Sorry 80s.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:20 PM   #156
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:47 PM
Oh you're such victims.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:25 PM   #157
Refugee

lol
Old 02-12-2007, 08:26 PM   #158
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

I know isn't it funny?
Old 02-12-2007, 08:32 PM   #159
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
Oh you're such victims.
Look, BVS, someone who agrees with you on this issue even called people to task for what they were doing. Are you going to stay that corianderstem was wrong, that people weren't making rash judgments about me based on absolutely no evidence at all?

I'm not saying I'm a victim; I'm just pointing out the obvious truth.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:34 PM   #160
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Look, BVS, someone who agrees with you on this issue even called people to task for what they were doing. Are you going to stay that corianderstem was wrong, that people weren't making rash judgments about me based on absolutely no evidence at all?
Honestly this sounds like grade 3 and a kid yelling "The teacher TOLD you so! Nyah-nyah!"

This thread is something else.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:35 PM   #161
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

I'm not saying I'm a victim; I'm just pointing out the obvious truth.
There were some leaps of logic yes, not huge, but leaps none the less.

But "just another thread of intolerance toward a conservative point of view", give me a break!
Old 02-12-2007, 08:49 PM   #162
Refugee

Quote:
I know isn't it funny?
Oh yeah, I forgot, which thread in FYM didn't completely rail on anything 80's had to say?

Hmmm....

Yeah, hilarious. Deep breath dude.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:50 PM   #163
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Interesting thread. . .I have to say 80's has a weathered a lot in stating an unpopular opinion and standing by it. He's also been very open about his own "issues" and "hangups" which takes a lot of courage to do, particularly in such an unsympathetic environment. I'd also point out that if not for him, there essentially wouldn't be any discussion on this issue, and I do think that the discussion is valuable. Just that one person raising a dissenting point of view forces us (hopefully) to really examine and articulate our own point of view.

I understand (though I don't agree) 80's belief that putting the word "vagina" up in public places is "inappropriate." However I'd challenge him to consider whether this assumption of "inappropriateness" not be rooted in an underlying belief that there is something somehow "wrong" with the word itself. Perhaps you could articulate why exactly the word is inappropriate? Is it because it is genitalia? Or perhaps it's because you believe that sex is a private (which is not the same as "bad") thing, and there for the terms for sexual organs should not be in a public place. I think I could actually go with an argument like that. Perhaps it's the equivalent of "chewing with your mouth open." Chewing itself, being nothing to be ashamed of, and a natural function of the human body, but letting everyone see you do it, is perhaps inappropriate and lacking in class?

In general, I agree that vagina is not an inappropriate word for a child to see or know, but I'm trying to see things from 80's perspective.

By the way, I do believe that there are some things that are okay for adults but inappropriate for children. I do believe that children shouldn't be exposed to graphic violence or sexuality. It is for this same reason that I wouldn't introduce certain movies or parts of the Bible to my children.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:53 PM   #164
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

Honestly this sounds like grade 3 and a kid yelling "The teacher TOLD you so! Nyah-nyah!"

This thread is something else.
What it sounds like to me is certain people who normally preach tolerance for viewpoints insulting and making judgments about someone who disagrees with them.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:53 PM   #165
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by MadelynIris

Oh yeah, I forgot, which thread in FYM didn't completely rail on anything 80's had to say?

Hmmm....

Yeah, hilarious. Deep breath dude.
And when was the last time you brought something productive to a thread rather than cry victim?

80's is brave enough to try.