The Hillary Thread: news, comments, discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LyricalDrug

Rock n' Roll Doggie
She's gonna be the next President of the United States and the most powerful woman in the history of the world. Discuss!

----

USA Today/Gallup: After This Weekend, Clinton Lead Even Wider

New poll: Hillary's margin of victory in Dem primary nearly doubles from 11 to 19

* Poll was in the field through Sunday

Hillary Clinton has significantly widened her lead in the Democratic primary from 11 points to 19, according to a new USA Today/Gallup poll released today. The poll was conducted at the same time that other candidates have launched announcement tours and received increased media attention.

Specifically the new poll shows:

* Hillary's leads over her nearest Democratic rival has jumped to 19 points (40-21), from 11 last month (29-18).
* Hillary's share of the Democratic primary vote ballooned to 40% from 29% last month.
* Sixty percent of voters from either party say Hillary would be a good president if elected.
* Among all those polled, Hillary leads John McCain by a 52-46 margin and Rudy Giuliani 49-48.
* Hillary's favorable/unfavorable is now 58/40, her highest rating since becoming a senator (up from 53/42 in November).

"As other candidates are getting more and more attention, Hillary is getting more and more support," said Clinton chief strategist and pollster Mark Penn. "This poll confirms that Hillary not only can win but actually is today winning."

Today's poll comes on the heels of a Newsweek poll showing Hillary leading every Democratic and Republican contender she was matched up against, and a Fox News poll showing voters believe Hillary would be the toughest on terrorism of any presidential candidate from either party.

CLINTON BLASTS BUSH

2-14-07

On the Senate floor today, Hillary said that President Bush will not be allowed to use force against Iran without the explicit authorization of Congress. With Bush shunning diplomacy and engaging in reckless posturing, she said, it is time for Congress to step up and take a strong oversight role.

Here is what Hillary said:

"President Bush must not be allowed to act without the authority and oversight of Congress. It would be a mistake of historical proportion if the Administration thought that the 2002 resolution authorizing force against Iraq was a blank check for the use of force against Iran without further Congressional authorization. Nor should the President think that the 2001 resolution authorizing force after the terrorist attacks of 9/11, in any way, authorizes force against Iran. If the Administration believes that any, any use of force against Iran is necessary, the President must come to Congress to seek that authority."

For six years, the Republican Congress failed in its duty to provide genuine, vigorous oversight of Bush's actions. The result has been a disaster in Iraq: incompetent execution, military contracting abuses, inadequate supplies of body armor and armored vehicles, and a loss of confidence among our allies and the American people.

"We cannot and must not allow recent history to repeat itself," Hillary said. "We continue to experience the consequences of unchecked presidential action."

Iran does pose a threat to our allies and interests in the Middle East, she said, and we must be prepared to use all our assets -- diplomatic, military, economic, and cultural -- to deal with that threat. But Congress must use its oversight to restore America's role as a respected leader in the world.

I think there are alot more people who will vote for her than we think. I think this country needs someone who actually learns from mistakes and wants to bring us all together again. Sure she's politically hungry, what politician isn't? I hope she teams up with Barak.

MissMoo said:
I think there are alot more people who will vote for her than we think.

It really only ever comes down to the Democratic candidate

or the Republican candidate

sure one can vote their conscious for a Ralph Nader or write in a person they support the most

but, what is the point,
it seems silly to me to say I wrote in the Dali Lama, I knew he would not win
but my conscious is clear
we end up in an undeclared war
and people are being burned alive
that very well would not have been
if a few more voted for the lesser evil

Here's the deal with Hillary, and it's not even really a knock against her, but if she gets elected that guarantees 24, and most likely 28, consecutive years that the US has been run by only 2 families.

That just doesn't seem right, are these families so correct in their thinking that we feel like they should be running the show that long--just passing the torch back and forth between each other?

I think some new blood is badly needed.

It will be interesting. She's leading the polls now, yeah, but I wonder how many voters will get into that booth, and that insidious inner sexist "can we really elect a woman President" voice will start chirping, and next thing you know they're pulling Giuliani.

I can tell you 100% that I won't be one of those at least :)

Chris Martin said:
Yep, Hillary, then Jeb Bush next :rockon:

While he's not running, I'd be very,very surprised if Jeb Bush is not the Republican VP candidate in 08. Why?

He can deliver Florida and a conservative would balance out a ticket headed either by McCain or Rudy.

Indy don't you worry that a Bush on the ticket would sway some moderate swing-type voters toward the Dems, simply because the country seems so down on W now? I'm not necessarily sure that would happen, but I think it's a concern for whoever the Rep candidate ends up being.

But you're right, he would deliver Florida, Jeb is very popular down here. Could be key for Giuliani especially, since he's a New Yorker. Rudy will need to pick a Southern VP candidate for sure.

Last edited:
CTU2fan said:
Indy don't you worry that a Bush on the ticket would sway some moderate swing-type voters toward the Dems, simply because the country seems so down on W now? I'm not necessarily sure that would happen, but I think it's a concern for whoever the Rep candidate ends up being.

But you're right, he would deliver Florida, Jeb is very popular down here. Could be key for Giuliani especially, since he's a New Yorker. Rudy will need to pick a Southern VP candidate for sure.

I'm sure Republicans would poll and fly trial balloons to see if Jeb is tainted by association in the eyes of independents. But I'm not sure Democrats would dare make "names" a campaign issue should they find themselves running a Clinton or a candidate with the middle name of Hussein.:wink:

Chizip said:
Here's the deal with Hillary, and it's not even really a knock against her, but if she gets elected that guarantees 24, and most likely 28, consecutive years that the US has been run by only 2 families.

That just doesn't seem right, are these families so correct in their thinking that we feel like they should be running the show that long--just passing the torch back and forth between each other?

Soundin a bit like a monarchy there:wink:

Chizip said:

Did I read it in here or somewhere else that the Clintons just do not lose elections? I'm sure I heard it, on the tv or radio, but it might have been on the equally ever-reliable internet that their family has no lost a single election they have ever ran in.

You lot sure have an interesting race up ahead, though.

Angela Harlem said:

Did I read it in here or somewhere else that the Clintons just do not lose elections? I'm sure I heard it, on the tv or radio, but it might have been on the equally ever-reliable internet that their family has no lost a single election they have ever ran in.

You lot sure have an interesting race up ahead, though.

That was probably me. :wink:

Bill Clinton actually lost his first election, in '74, when he was running for office in Arkansas, but since then he's never lost. Hillary has won the only 2 elections she's run in.

But my point is basically that the Clintons are AMAZING political strategists. Getting elected is basically a game. I know that makes people cynical when they hear that, but it's true. Getting elected is one big chess match. And the Clinton team (they have their close-knit group of advisers that's been working with them for years) plays it better than anyone else in the Democratic party.

I think it was Larry King who interviewed Bill Clinton a couple years ago, and he asked him, "If you could run again, would you?" Bill Clinton laughed, and then said, "If I could, I'd run again, and I'd beat them again."

If you're ever in the video store and want to geek out on politics, rent "The War Room." It's a behind the scenes documentary of the 1992 presidential campaign, and has all kinds of awesome, candid footage of the strategy sessions.

Last edited:
Before I cast a vote for Hillary, I want to know her exact plan for universal healthcare. She has to completely flesh it out and not be vague in her responses. Who's going to pay for it? Will it really have an impact? Is it government run? Single payer system with no competition (the worst possible system)? How will it effect physicians? That's one issue that will go a long way to deciding who gets my vote.

JCOSTER said:
Sure not voting for her.... sorry.:tsk:
QFT - she's turned into quite the anti-video game Nazi as of late. Any politician who can't educate herself a little bit more on an issue is someone who I don't want running our country. She's been like Jack Thompson Jr. lately.

Canadiens1160 said:
QFT - she's turned into quite the anti-video game Nazi as of late. Any politician who can't educate herself a little bit more on an issue is someone who I don't want running our country. She's been like Jack Thompson Jr. lately.

This is a classic Clinton maneuver. It's designed to woo middle-of-the-road conservative soccer moms and parents, and other suburbanites. It's purely a gimmick. Bill did it in '92, when he chastised Sistah Souljah for her "hateful" rap lyrics. It never actually translates into any legislation. Worst comes to worst, some "warning: violence" sticker gets slapped on a video game.

Canadiens1160 said:
Not to mention the flag burning issue, why is it that politicians are anti-freedom bastards by default?

A_Wanderer said:
Not to mention the flag burning issue, why is it that politicians are anti-freedom bastards by default?

because many conservatives, or self-described conservatives, actually hate freedom. they want to control what you say, think, drink, wear, eat, and put in or take out of your body, because things that are different or new or uncomfortable are to be feared.

the Clinton's know this. they know that many people like to be reassured that Main Street, apple pie, mothers, baseball, and the American flag hold a special place in every non-communist American's heart.

Is that attitude any less anti-freedom than leftists (I refuse to call them liberal) who want hate speech laws? Who wan't to outright ban enjoyable substances that can harm us?

The race to the bottom of authoritarianism is common ground for both sides.

CTU2fan said:

What a Republican ticket......Giuliani and Bush.

LyricalDrug said:

This is a classic Clinton maneuver. It's designed to woo middle-of-the-road conservative soccer moms and parents, and other suburbanites. It's purely a gimmick. Bill did it in '92, when he chastised Sistah Souljah for her "hateful" rap lyrics. It never actually translates into any legislation. Worst comes to worst, some "warning: violence" sticker gets slapped on a video game.

So wasting time and taxpayer dollars on a gimmick to get yourself elected is supposed to be a good thing?

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Bush did the same thing with abortion and to a point gay marriage.

Ok, and Bush has been a crappy president, I thought the goal was to elect someone better...

I'd rather see a good leader in the White House than a good politician.

Chizip said:

Ok, and Bush has been a crappy president, I thought the goal was to elect someone better...

I'd rather see a good leader in the White House than a good politician.

I agree, I think it's a shit move. Unfortunately the Democrats have to woo the middle, and the Republicans have to woo the ultra right. It sucks that you can't win without it...

It is a shame that we have a system in place where the politicians, people who put themselves, their career, and electability first have a distinct advantage over true leaders who put their country and their convictions first.

Back
Top Bottom