The Hillary Thread: news, comments, discussion - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2007, 07:04 PM   #16
Jesus Online

Local Time: 09:43 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Chizip
Here's the deal with Hillary, and it's not even really a knock against her, but if she gets elected that guarantees 24, and most likely 28, consecutive years that the US has been run by only 2 families.

That just doesn't seem right, are these families so correct in their thinking that we feel like they should be running the show that long--just passing the torch back and forth between each other?

I think some new blood is badly needed.
Did I read it in here or somewhere else that the Clintons just do not lose elections? I'm sure I heard it, on the tv or radio, but it might have been on the equally ever-reliable internet that their family has no lost a single election they have ever ran in.

You lot sure have an interesting race up ahead, though.

Old 02-15-2007, 07:15 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem

Did I read it in here or somewhere else that the Clintons just do not lose elections? I'm sure I heard it, on the tv or radio, but it might have been on the equally ever-reliable internet that their family has no lost a single election they have ever ran in.

You lot sure have an interesting race up ahead, though.
That was probably me.

Bill Clinton actually lost his first election, in '74, when he was running for office in Arkansas, but since then he's never lost. Hillary has won the only 2 elections she's run in.

But my point is basically that the Clintons are AMAZING political strategists. Getting elected is basically a game. I know that makes people cynical when they hear that, but it's true. Getting elected is one big chess match. And the Clinton team (they have their close-knit group of advisers that's been working with them for years) plays it better than anyone else in the Democratic party.

I think it was Larry King who interviewed Bill Clinton a couple years ago, and he asked him, "If you could run again, would you?" Bill Clinton laughed, and then said, "If I could, I'd run again, and I'd beat them again."

If you're ever in the video store and want to geek out on politics, rent "The War Room." It's a behind the scenes documentary of the 1992 presidential campaign, and has all kinds of awesome, candid footage of the strategy sessions.

Old 02-15-2007, 07:20 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 05:43 PM
Before I cast a vote for Hillary, I want to know her exact plan for universal healthcare. She has to completely flesh it out and not be vague in her responses. Who's going to pay for it? Will it really have an impact? Is it government run? Single payer system with no competition (the worst possible system)? How will it effect physicians? That's one issue that will go a long way to deciding who gets my vote.
Old 02-15-2007, 07:27 PM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:43 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by JCOSTER
Sure not voting for her.... sorry.
QFT - she's turned into quite the anti-video game Nazi as of late. Any politician who can't educate herself a little bit more on an issue is someone who I don't want running our country. She's been like Jack Thompson Jr. lately.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:36 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Canadiens1160
QFT - she's turned into quite the anti-video game Nazi as of late. Any politician who can't educate herself a little bit more on an issue is someone who I don't want running our country. She's been like Jack Thompson Jr. lately.
This is a classic Clinton maneuver. It's designed to woo middle-of-the-road conservative soccer moms and parents, and other suburbanites. It's purely a gimmick. Bill did it in '92, when he chastised Sistah Souljah for her "hateful" rap lyrics. It never actually translates into any legislation. Worst comes to worst, some "warning: violence" sticker gets slapped on a video game.
Old 02-16-2007, 05:30 PM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:43 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Canadiens1160
Not to mention the flag burning issue, why is it that politicians are anti-freedom bastards by default?
Old 02-16-2007, 05:36 PM   #22
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
Not to mention the flag burning issue, why is it that politicians are anti-freedom bastards by default?

because many conservatives, or self-described conservatives, actually hate freedom. they want to control what you say, think, drink, wear, eat, and put in or take out of your body, because things that are different or new or uncomfortable are to be feared.

the Clinton's know this. they know that many people like to be reassured that Main Street, apple pie, mothers, baseball, and the American flag hold a special place in every non-communist American's heart.
Old 02-16-2007, 05:45 PM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:43 AM
Is that attitude any less anti-freedom than leftists (I refuse to call them liberal) who want hate speech laws? Who wan't to outright ban enjoyable substances that can harm us?

The race to the bottom of authoritarianism is common ground for both sides.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:12 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:43 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by CTU2fan
But you're right, he would deliver Florida, Jeb is very popular down here. Could be key for Giuliani especially, since he's a New Yorker. Rudy will need to pick a Southern VP candidate for sure.
What a Republican ticket......Giuliani and Bush.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:27 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by LyricalDrug

This is a classic Clinton maneuver. It's designed to woo middle-of-the-road conservative soccer moms and parents, and other suburbanites. It's purely a gimmick. Bill did it in '92, when he chastised Sistah Souljah for her "hateful" rap lyrics. It never actually translates into any legislation. Worst comes to worst, some "warning: violence" sticker gets slapped on a video game.
So wasting time and taxpayer dollars on a gimmick to get yourself elected is supposed to be a good thing?
Old 02-16-2007, 08:29 PM   #26
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:43 PM
Quote:

So wasting time and taxpayer dollars on a gimmick to get yourself elected is supposed to be a good thing?
Bush did the same thing with abortion and to a point gay marriage.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:34 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Bush did the same thing with abortion and to a point gay marriage.
Ok, and Bush has been a crappy president, I thought the goal was to elect someone better...

I'd rather see a good leader in the White House than a good politician.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:36 PM   #28
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Ok, and Bush has been a crappy president, I thought the goal was to elect someone better...

I'd rather see a good leader in the White House than a good politician.
I agree, I think it's a shit move. Unfortunately the Democrats have to woo the middle, and the Republicans have to woo the ultra right. It sucks that you can't win without it...
Old 02-16-2007, 08:49 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

It is a shame that we have a system in place where the politicians, people who put themselves, their career, and electability first have a distinct advantage over true leaders who put their country and their convictions first.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:51 PM   #30
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

I couldn't agree more...