The GUN thread - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2004, 11:35 AM   #46
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 07:03 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BluberryPoptart
Another thing, who needs a gun if you want to kill somebody? Those people in FL were beaten with baseball bats and stabbed.
Exactly. Are we going to ban those, too, since some people have used them to kill people?

Banning things doesn't work, people. It just doesn't. Alcohol was banned back in the 20s because some people felt it was a danger to others and stuff, and we all know how well that idea worked out. If guns were banned and somebody really, honest to god wanted one, they'd still find a way to obtain it.

Quote:
I cannot see the logic in this. I'm sorry, if the fucker coming to rob me has a gun, I want one too. If I was the fucker coming to rob, I'd be much less likely to carry out the crime if I thought the guy in the house or the store had a gun too. But mostly I think guns are needed for protection, such as women traveling alone in cars at night, or staying home alone at night. The option should still be there.
Yep. I can fully understand somebody having a gun around to protect themselves from an intruder. I agree with those who say that having an arsenal of weapons isn't necessary, but I can understand keeping a simple handgun around.

Also, since hunting was brought up in this thread, my thoughts on it are this: Hunting for food purposes, fine and dandy. Hunting so you can put some animal's head on your wall, that I will never understand.

Angela

Old 08-11-2004, 01:18 PM   #47
War Child

Local Time: 01:03 PM
wink

Quote:
Originally posted by STING2

Dublin has its share of crime, especially with the recent surge in growth,
surge in growth have anything to do with several U2 fans from interference moving to Dublin?

Old 08-11-2004, 01:48 PM   #48
War Child

Guns are for killing, and I hope to never set eyes on one, let alone have one in my home. The second amendment made sense hundreds of years ago, but now just makes it easy for folks to kill each other and call it their constitutional right. There are non-lethal ways to enforce the law. Nets, tasers (sp?), etc.- all workable, just not as easy as shooting someone.
Old 08-11-2004, 02:00 PM   #49
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:03 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by najeena
The second amendment made sense hundreds of years ago, but now just makes it easy for folks to kill each other and call it their constitutional right.
No one claims a constitutional right to kill another (except for abortion).

There are principles behind the 2nd amendment that are not outdated.
Old 08-11-2004, 02:01 PM   #50
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:03 PM
Quote:
I cannot see the logic in this. I'm sorry, if the fucker coming to rob me has a gun, I want one too.
Why? So you can run to your closet, nightdesk (sp?) or wherever you've stored it when the criminal is holding you at gun point. Do you have kids? If so, would you feel comfortable keeping the bullets with (in) the gun? If they you keep them separated, how much time does it take you to load it? How good do you shoot? Are you prepared for the blow? How well are your shooting skills, can you take the criminal out with one shot, so he doesn't shoot back?

Quote:
If I was the fucker coming to rob, I'd be much less likely to carry out the crime if I thought the guy in the house or the store had a gun too.
If they make any kind of trouble, I'll shoot them. Then they can't grab a gun at least. Maybe I shoot them right away, why take the risk?

Quote:
But mostly I think guns are needed for protection, such as women traveling alone in cars at night, or staying home alone at night. The option should still be there.
Here I can again pose the questions regarding shooting skills (and of course the safety when carrying a loaded gun with you). Additionally, what is wrong it pepper-spray or a stunner then? Or lessons in self-defense?

Just wondering...

Marty
Old 08-11-2004, 02:03 PM   #51
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:03 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BostonAnne

I think hunting in history was a necessity. Now, it seems like a cruel sport if it is done for the thrill. I guess some hunters may be doing it to keep a tradition or re-live what it was like in the past. That's a gray area for me since I don't believe hunters in the past were wrong to hunt for their survival. The problem is that we are so populated now that it can be dangereous to hunt.

A few things....

1) The people I know don't hunt for thrill. My grandpa hunts b/c he has heart problems and can only eat meat w/ little or no fat. Venison is extremely lean and just as juicy and tastey as steak. My dad hunts b/c it costs like $15 for a doe license which means he can get a deer that will feed us meat three times a week for months and months. Meat from the grocery store is expensive. Many people I know who kill more than what they eat give the rest to soup kitchens and shelters.

2) As for overpopulation, there are VERY strict regulations on where you can hunt. You can't just go shooting deer 10 yards from a kids park or someone's backyard. Also, overpopulationa nd urban sprawl does not mean the hunters should have to suffer. There was a bit of controversy in our family b/c my aunt and uncle moved out to some huge suburban gated community. Then my uncle started complaining that they could hear gunshots during deer season. Everyone was like "Back off, yo! The people hunting on their land have lived out there on their family farm for hundreds of years. Who the hell are you to build a huge resource sucking mansion in the middle of nowhere and then expect everyone else's life to stop b/c you have more money and think your way of life is better?!"

3) Where I live I believe you can kill a max. of three deer (2 bucks and a doe or maybe the other way around). You can only hunt at certain times of the year (so the young fawns are not left alone to die). You have to obtain special, more expensive permits to shoot a doe. Even with these limits, there deer population is still growing.

Hunting is not cruel. I'll tell you what is cruel - invading the natural environment of the deer to build strip malls, huge homes, etc, etc. If anything, hunting is a good thing b/c hunters own large sections of land that are left alone and passed on down through the generations, away from the threat of sub-urban sprawl.
Old 08-11-2004, 02:07 PM   #52
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:03 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Popmartijn

Here I can again pose the questions regarding shooting skills (and of course the safety when carrying a loaded gun with you). Additionally, what is wrong it pepper-spray or a stunner then? Or lessons in self-defense?

Just wondering...

Marty
I agree, Marty. I'm a women that travels alone at night. I've never had a car so I walk or bike. I'd never even consider owning a gun, mainly for fear that I'd actually have to use it and then spend the rest of my life wallowing in guilt. Pepper spray is good enough for me any day.
Old 08-11-2004, 02:39 PM   #53
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:03 AM
True enough. I have pepper spray myself and have considered getting a stunner. I'm just not convinced that an outright ban on all guns is the way to go.

Join Amnesty.
Old 08-11-2004, 03:49 PM   #54
you are what you is

Local Time: 02:03 PM
if you really want someone with a gun to shoot you
then grab your own gun yourself

I don't doubt he/she won't hesitate
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 08-11-2004, 05:40 PM   #55
Blue Crack Addict

I don't want to ban guns, but I think caution needs to exercised in the sale of guns. Personally, I would never want to own a gun. Just the thought of it scares me.
Old 08-11-2004, 08:50 PM   #56
War Child

I am not defending it but I don't think some people in other countries really totally understand our culture and way of life people have been used to for years. It's not just the number of people, it's the people themselves.
Old 08-12-2004, 04:56 AM   #57
Jesus Online

Local Time: 12:03 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by paxetaurora
True enough. I have pepper spray myself and have considered getting a stunner. I'm just not convinced that an outright ban on all guns is the way to go.
Do YOU have training in handling a gun? And I'm not talking a few hours down the rifle range. In the instances some of the replies in here have described, in cases of self defence in the home - Who here has had the type of training the police for example have? Where you are learned on how to cope with a volatile and unpredicable situation from your intruder, where you are dealing with a complete unknown, which is an unknown (to you) human with a GUN? The answer to this is to put a second weapon in the picture, with an ignoramus who doesn't know how to deal with the gun itself OR the ramifications of the situation?

Is this why America has a problem with deaths from guns? Because the concensus is you are more than able to handle this? If you think you are, and you have no where near enough training, then you are wrong.

Guns belong on farms, the military, and the police force. Not on civilians to police themselves, to hunt fellow humans, or to defend against an uprising form your own government.