"The Guardian" should be ashamed of themselves!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
They have a political message board thread that says this:

[Q] Politics talk Europe and the world
Is it time to assasinate George Dubya Bush? [/Q]

Now seriously!!!!!! Give me a :censored: break. I am staring to understand some of the articles people use to cite to make their cases here in FYM. Shame on the Guardian for not monitoring their own website!http://politicstalk.guardian.co.uk/WebX?50@225.qQeGbeJsHXV.0@.685ea08b

Yup--word. (I should add here, though, that it'd be nice if my own beloved nation...and I say that without blush or sarcasm...would knock off discussion off assassination of other political leaders. Though it does beat all out war, I guess....)

Anyway,
Cheryl

Dreadsox said:
They have a political message board thread that says this:

[Q] Politics talk Europe and the world
Is it time to assasinate George Dubya Bush? [/Q]

Now seriously!!!!!! Give me a :censored: break. I am staring to understand some of the articles people use to cite to make their cases here in FYM. Shame on the Guardian for not monitoring their own website!http://politicstalk.guardian.co.uk/WebX?50@225.qQeGbeJsHXV.0@.685ea08b

Isn't this just a message board? The guardian itself didn't post this did they? Yes they should monitor it a little better, but a lot of message boards out there go unmonitored. I've seen worse. By no means do I back this type of language though.

But I'm not surprised. The man is hated and considered to be very dangerous.

Last edited:
It's a message board. I do not approve of this idea, to put it mildly. But it's not like the newspaper itself is calling for an assassination. I do not think GWB would win a popularity contest in the U.K, particularly on the political Left. They hate the guy so much it's scary. I do not support him, but honestly, this is madness.

it is their name at the top. they are responsible for monitoring it.

Dreadsox said:

Yes but where is the line of free speech? I mean he didn't call upon for the assasination, he asks if it's time.

Dreadsox said:
I am not dignifying that with a response.

I'm just playing devil's advocate here. I think it crossed the line. But many would argue that cyberspace has different rules than other forms of media.

It is just a message board.

Here is the opening post for discussion.
You need to sign in to post messages. |
Started by SimonF at 08:42am Oct 15, 2003 BST

He is perhaps the most dangerous man currently to inhabit the earth. A hypocritical lunatic, his family have been sponsoring terrorism around the globe for decades - first he was cosy with Saddam and then he was'nt, then he was cosy with Bin Laden and then he changed his mind. His motivations are greed and he cares little for the sanctity of human life, and will support any state, no matter how brutal their administration, as long as they are compliant with US companies.

I am not surprised by this. These are the perceptions many have based on his actions.

The Gaurdian can be ashamed for allowing a message board.

This Bush Administration has done many things that are shameful.

deep said:

I disapprove of most of Bush's policies. I also disapprove of any plan or suggestion that he should be assassinated. I am against political assassinations. I think they are barbaric. We have a better way. It's called democracy.

Pure rubbish, but what does one expect from a publication like that?

deep said:
It is just a message board.

I am not surprised by this. These are the perceptions many have based on his actions.

The Gaurdian can be ashamed for allowing a message board.

The actions suggested are wrong, but it is in line with the 76% of the world thinking GWB is the most dangerous man in the world.

Osama and Sadaam are quite a bit below him because of money and weapons available.

If he is elected again , I can't imagine the anomositiy the US will receive.

edited to add:

Why can't anyone seem to think outside the box? What happened to compassion and seeing yourself as the other.

I hate how divided we have become in the US and globally. I want to cry and lament the togetherness we were achieving.

Last edited:
And 71% of people in Baghdad support Bush's actions there.

As far as anomosity, why do so many people around the world continue to support the USA in its actions and continue to buy its goods to the toon of over 1 Trillion dollars a year? 32 countries are currently involved and supporting US operations in Iraq. The UN is about to approve another US authored UN resolution.

Please, 32 countries? It's so easy for a little country say they agree in order to continue their aid. Give me a :censored: break.

Just like Turkey finally coerced their electoriate because of $. And we fucked our northern Kurds afterall.

Last edited:
Scarletwine,

"Please, 32 countries? It's so easy for a little country say they agree in order to continue their aid. Give me a break."

The fact is they are helping, just like many of them did 12 years ago.

"Just like Turkey finally coerced their electoriate because of $. And we fucked our northern Kurds afterall."

Turkish troops will not be serving anywhere near Kurdish area's. I have been a bit skepitical myself though about Turkish troops in Iraq despite the fact, but the fact is, they can do a good job in non-Kurdish area's. The Turkish contingent should number around 10,000-15,000. This is what the opposition to the President has been complaining about was missing, significant numbers of troops from countries in the region. Now Bush has achieved that, so lets be objective and acknowledge the fact that this a positive thing and give credit where credit is due.

It's not the size of the nation that matters or is it? LOL

As far as anomosity, why do so many people around the world continue to support the USA in its actions and continue to buy its goods to the toon of over 1 Trillion dollars a year?

How many countries were in the "coalition of the willing" and how many were not?

And what does buying of goods justify? We buy goods from countries we don't exactly agree with.

It would matter not if GW *was* the most dangerous man on the planet, calling (whether rhetorically or not) for his assassination is abhorant.
And the argument that a message board on the internet has more allowance for free speech is preposperous. The rules of play on here (the net) should be no different to anywhere else. If sometig can't be said in mixed company, then don't say it at all.

It absolutely shits me how people use the internet to hide behind hate filled extreme ideas. Such weakness.

Dreadsox said:

Actually, legally speaking, probably not. If they do censor certain content on the board, then, yes, they are responsible for the content. If they leave it uncensored, then, no, they are not responsible for it.

But if you want to talk about "irresponsible" message boards, try one on American soil: the Yahoo! message boards.

Melon

But also let me give you an update. If you click on that link, it's gone.

So now don't all you righties need to apologize to the Guardian? :sexywink:

Melon

This is hilarious. Some individual posts a message on the Guardian's website and suddenly it's suggested that the Guardian supports assassination.

Presumably if some fool were to post a similar message on Interference.com you'd all be queuing up to condemn Elvis and all the mods for advocating the assassination of politicians.

:yawn:

Actually, Fizz, the Mods here do an extremely good job at monitoring threads and eliminating anything that would be written like this. I can think of something that was posted within the past year that was not wise to have been posted and was elimintated.

As for the Guardian, I never anywhere said they supported assassination I criticized them for not monitoring their own board. The thread was there for a while. It grew and grew, and it was filled with hate.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom