The Goodest David and that woman from Nigeria

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cass

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
A few days ago, I was wondering what had become of a young mother in Nigeria. She had been sentenced to stoning to death for having a child out of wedlock. The sentence was held-off until she weaned her baby.
Some of you may recall I have a list, "The Good Davids" as I call them. David Attenborough, David Suzuki, David Evans:), David Bowie...to name a few. I had been looking forward all week to a TV documentary about David Attenborough called"Life On Film".
I turned on telly a bit before it started( warming up the kero telly, as you do) and just saw the last part of an interview with the young Nigerian mother I had been wondering about. Her daughter has grown beautifully, and the mother is so accepting of her lot. She said friends will be with her and will pray for her to be saved.Some information came up on the screen about her at the end of the show, but it was so brief and my TV is so small I couldn't read it. I did see the date 2004.

Anyway, I mainly wanted to say. I think David Attenborough is very special and his deep love of the natural world is an example to us all.

here's one more thing i found from their action center:

http://takeaction.amnestyusa.org/action/index.asp?step=2&item=1807&ms=71

Amina Lawal is currently on trial. Don't take any actions until further notice

Amina Lawal, the 30 year-old Muslim woman who was sentenced to stoning to death in Nigeria for having a child while divorced, is currently on trial. Amnesty International recommends not taking any actions during this crucial time. It seems that by keeping the lid on the case, Amina Lawal will have more chances to be successful in her bid to be freed. Our campaign will slow down until such a time when the court passes its verdict.

AI hopes that the verdict will comply with the respect for the rule of law in Nigeria, which includes respect for the right to life and prohibition on torture and cruel, inhuman and degrading treatment and punishment. If the verdict is not in line with these international human rights standards, AI will continue its campaign on the Federal Authorities to ensure Amina Lawal?s constitutional right to appeal against the sentence to a higher court.

23 January 2003

that's weird. :crack:

i had taken part in the action alert months ago and never heard what the outcome was. thanks for the reminder cass! :)

On March 18, 2003, the House unanimously approved H.Con.Res. 26, to condemn the use of stoning as a punishment and to all upon the international community to recognize stoning as a violation of human rights. The legislation also requests that the President communicate the resolution to governments that practice stoning and urge those countries to suspend the execution of those condemned to stoning.

HORRAY!!!!
I just heard the morning radio news.
She has been aquitted of the charge
:applaud:
:applaud:
:)
the letters and the prayers helped...commonsense and compassion prevailed...this time. The laws that condemned her are still in place.
Good news eh?
Can someone post her pic here please? that would be nice I think.

Hooray:)

It is great news!

capt.svz10509250952.nigeria_death_by_stoning_svz105.jpg

Back
Top Bottom