The Golden Compass, and killing God - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2007, 11:33 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:52 PM
I don't pay attention to boycotts or anything like that. I read, and liked, "The DaVinci Code". I wanted to see "The Last Temptation of Christ" but it wasn't shown here. If you don't want to go see a movie, don't go see it. Give others the chance to see it.

Old 12-05-2007, 05:38 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:52 PM
Honestly, can't we focus on more important things in today's global society, such as issues which actually might have an impact and not shitty movies or shitty conservative Christian groups with nothing better to do who dislike said shitty movies.

There are more important things to life.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:57 PM   #18
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by kellyahern
All I know is that Daniel Craig is in it, and Daniel Craig is hot, therefore I will go see the movie.

I'll leave now
Man, if he's Lucifer, send me on to Hell!

Regarding Mr. Pullmans "deep and bitter" hatred for the Narnia books, I do believe that's what Mr. Lit Crit Harold Bloom called "the anxiety of influence."
Old 12-05-2007, 09:07 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 11:52 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Canadiens1160
Honestly, can't we focus on more important things in today's global society, such as issues which actually might have an impact and not shitty movies or shitty conservative Christian groups with nothing better to do who dislike said shitty movies.
Would be nice, wouldn't it? Guess people just feel this is something they may actually have some control over. You can't always say that with the important global issues.

But you are right, there are way more serious issues that people could (and should) be upset over.

Angela
Old 12-05-2007, 09:07 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I'm not so sure if I want to see it. I like fantasy/sci-fi movies. I heard this one is not overtly atheistic, so maybe I'll see it. But then again, even if it is all about bashing God, I'll still see it and decide for myself.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:05 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:52 PM
I just read Rolling Stone said this movie "Blows."

That's enough for me not to see it.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:23 PM   #22
Refugee

Local Time: 09:52 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by coemgen
I just read Rolling Stone said this movie "Blows."

That's enough for me not to see it.
http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/...golden_compass

I think I'll save my money for when "Prince Caspian " starts in theatres next May.
Old 12-08-2007, 09:18 AM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:52 AM
There is nothing wrong with voluntary boycotts. The movie has every right to be made, and people have every right to see it or avoid it.

I generally follow the reviews at rottentomatoes.com. This one isn't doing too well on thier ratings meter (collection of reviews).

At the end of the day - the movie industry is about money. Without knowing the story, this movie seems targeted at kids and families - that is what I can tell by the commercials. However, if the reviews are right, the movie is simply too dark, serious...and boring. Usually, not the best combo for targetting families during the Holiday Season.

Like all of the anti-Iraq-war movies - this one will tank at the box office.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:18 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Sue DeNym

http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/...golden_compass

I think I'll save my money for when "Prince Caspian " starts in theatres next May.
Me, too.
Old 12-09-2007, 05:05 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie

This is interesting:

'Compass' box-office win is far from golden

By Thomas K. Arnold, Special for USA TODAY

The Golden Compass pointed south this weekend, opening with an estimated $26.1 million, significantly less than the $30 million to $40 million New Line Cinema had predicted.
The film had been widely criticized by church groups, particularly Catholic organizations, for its supposed anti-religious message, and New Line worldwide distribution and marketing president Rolf Mittweg concedes that might have had an impact.

"How do you measure it? That is hard to say," he says. "Historically, that tends to be ineffective; look at The Da Vinci Code. No one was supposed to see that, either. But since we haven't looked at results on a regional basis, I cannot speak to that at this moment."

He notes that internationally, the film did a lot better, grossing $55 million in 25 territories, led by the United Kingdom, where it took in $18 million. Outside the United States, Mittweg says, movies are "not at all" affected by religious controversies.

Compass, a fantasy with Nicole Kidman in a villainous role, was aimed at families and compared with Disney's The Chronicles of Narnia. But many of the same church groups that loved Narnia slammed Compass as anti-religious. The film is based on a series of children's books by British author Philip Pullman, an outspoken atheist, and is the first in the trilogy His Dark Materials.

In the original book, a Catholic Church-like entity known as The Magisterium is depicted as a bastion of evil. Director Chris Weitz has excised most of the story's religious references, which the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops acknowledged in an overall positive review, but Catholic lay leaders have slammed the film nonetheless, with Bill Donohue, president of the 350,000-member Catholic League, calling it "atheism for kids." Catholic schools also have come out against the film, with many sending out fliers or e-mail blasts urging parents not to let their children see the film.

Elsewhere on the big screen, Disney's Enchanted held up well, taking in $10.7 million, a drop of just 35%, according to box office trackers Nielsen EDI. The film slipped to No. 2 after two weeks at No. 1. It has accumulated $83.9 million.

The holidays ruled Nos. 3 and 4, with This Christmas ($5 million) and Fred Claus ($4.7 million).

Rounding out the top five: Beowulf, with $4.4 million.

Final figures are due Monday.
Old 12-09-2007, 05:10 PM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Conference of Catholic Bishops acknowledged in an overall positive review, but Catholic lay leaders have slammed the film nonetheless, with Bill Donohue, president of the 350,000-member Catholic League, calling it "atheism for kids." Catholic schools also have come out against the film, with many sending out fliers or e-mail blasts urging parents not to let their children see the film.
oooooh, horrors! We certainly don't want to indoctrinate the little darlings.
Old 12-09-2007, 05:26 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

What's humorous to me is that Pullman has been very critical of Lewis because of Lewis' dogmatism, yet Pullman is Lewis' mirror image in that regard.

I think both series are overly simplistic philosophical discussions by authors who are far more interested in getting their point across than writing an engaging story.
Old 12-09-2007, 05:27 PM   #28
Blue Crack Supplier

There was a column in our Church newsletter today "warning" parents not to allow their kids to see this film.
Old 12-09-2007, 05:31 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26
There was a column in our Church newsletter today "warning" parents not to allow their kids to see this film.

As they should. Parents should not take their children to see shitty movies.
Old 12-09-2007, 05:34 PM   #30
Blue Crack Supplier

Why couldn't they have warned me about the others then?