The Godly Woman 101 - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2007, 07:38 AM   #31
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:11 PM
I can't imagine why this would be at a university - are they accredited? These schools are places of higher learning to engage students in critical thinking, not to have them sew buttons and mop floors. But then again, I'd never attend such an institution even at the threat of death, so to each his own.

Old 10-23-2007, 08:21 AM   #32
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:11 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by yolland
According to their website, this is a 21-hour concentration within a 129-hour Humanities BA program (Southwestern is, of course, a seminary school, not a regular college or university, so it only offers BAs in Humanities and Music to begin with--you don't go there to study math, political science, electrical engineering, pre-law etc.).

While I don't really see the point in having credit-carrying college courses in home meal preparation, home clothesmaking, and home design (the courses in child development, nutrition and Biblical models of family make more sense), it's not like women students are required to take these courses, or for that matter to attend this particular school at all. Frankly, the article seems more mean-spirited than anything else to me.

Where do I sign up?

Old 10-23-2007, 08:26 AM   #33
Jesus Online

Local Time: 09:11 AM
Why, oh why, can't women have it all? If I can do it, anyone can!
Old 10-23-2007, 08:37 AM   #34
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:11 PM
This article kind of reminds me of a couple of my older cousins who went to college just for their "MRS degree". It seems odd to me to have some of these courses offered in a college setting (they seem more appropriate for finishing or vocational school), but college is where many people meet their future spouses, so I guess I can see the logic there.

I wouldn't take the concentration or any of the courses, but if others want to, it's ok with me.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:44 AM   #35
ONE
love, blood, life

Remember, guys, if the Bible "says so," it's "God's will." If the Koran "says so," well, then we must send an army to "liberate them" and demand that they "modernize."
Old 10-23-2007, 08:52 AM   #36
Blue Crack Addict

Well I think when people are talking about the "glorious inequalities of life" and that women were created to be helpers, it implies some sort of inferiority. If they said and taught the same things about men there'd be an equality there. From my viewpoint inequality isn't glorious or ordered by God.

"We must fit into this role. It's so much more important than our own personal happiness."

When the men start saying things like that it will be fine.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:11 AM   #37
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:11 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by maycocksean

No. I really don't think he did.
You don't think there's a fear that this type of thinking leads to inequality? This "role assignment" has been abused for centuries, and still is often today. To me his answer, though may be very true, wasn't exactly where the poster he quoted was going. That was my whole point. I just think he conveinently avoided addressing some of the pitfalls of this type of thinking by giving the nice neat "love all" answer.

Which I think is the right answer, but it's similar to the hate the sin, love the sinner answer we often get.

I guess I want someone who still believes in these gender roles to explain how they use these roles in their own lives and if they find them to be truly equal. And then to see how literal do they take them, can the roles be reversed, can they be divided?
Old 10-23-2007, 01:45 PM   #38
Blue Crack Addict

Well I think he did, but I await his answer before I reach that definite conclusion. Personally I don't think saying "we're all here to serve each other" is a justification for any mentality that women are here for the purpose of serving men, and certainly not that singular purpose.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:53 PM   #39
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 11:11 PM
I guess for me what it comes down to is that (unlike what was the case "for centuries") these women have real alternatives available to them. They do not have to be homemakers, they do not have to follow an interpretation of the Bible that says married women may not work outside the home, they don't even have to leave their own denomination over this, because there's a diversity of opinions within it on this issue. I think they have to be seen as accountable for their own happiness or unhappiness as a result of the view of marriage they've committed to.

As far as what these women's husbands, future husbands, and fellow seminary students not enrolled in this concentration think about men's roles and responsibilities within a marriage, none of us are really in a position to comment, because none of us know anything about what they think and say, or about what's being taught in the Christian life courses all the undergrads take. It could be anything from 'Submit to each other as the Bible says; in return for her running the household you should always put her goals and wishes for it and the children first' to 'You are the Lord and Master and should always tell your servant what to do, not ask her.' My guess is something along the former lines is far more likely, but we really don't know.

I also think any married person will tell you that whatever nominal ideology about marriage you both subscribe to, the reality is that personality, 'attitude,' inherited sensibilities and household labor arrangements peculiar to your own family of birth, and other such 'intangibles' exert a huge if not decisive influence, too. And homemaking, to a large extent, simply is what it is where perceived 'inequality' potential is concerned--if you're a homemaker, then no matter what your gender or reasons for making that choice, the reality is you won't be the one with a paycheck to show for your efforts, you won't get the same kind of specific public-sphere recognition and validation your spouse does for the work you do, and you'll probably be more vulnerable if something happens to your spouse (or they walk out on you) than you would've been if you'd both held paying jobs. That's just the way it is. At least the model of marriage these women are committing to is unambiguous about who's going to be doing most of the childcare and housework--as opposed to the all-too-common situation where both spouses start out saying 'Oh we're gonna do everything fifty-fifty, a woman can do whatever she wants in life, blah blah blah' and then once the actual crying infant is in the house, guess who feels the most pressure to scale back their work responsibilities, even though that wasn't the original (nominal) shared expectation. While I don't personally subscribe to the idea that what follows from this is that women should always be the homemakers (or that there needs to be a stay-at-home parent at all), I don't see choosing to commit oneself to this particular alternative as a "bad" way to go. What matters is that the woman chose it, she believes in it, and she can therefore meaningfully be said to be accountable for its consequences.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 10-23-2007, 08:31 PM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
Well I think when people are talking about the "glorious inequalities of life" and that women were created to be helpers, it implies some sort of inferiority. If they said and taught the same things about men there'd be an equality there. From my viewpoint inequality isn't glorious or ordered by God.
I don't see how anyone could utter the phrase "glorious inequalities" with a straight face. It's downright Orwelian. It creeped me out just reading it.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:17 AM   #41
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

You don't think there's a fear that this type of thinking leads to inequality?

The type of thinking that says we're all to serve one another? No. The type of thinking that says and emphasizes "wives submit to your husbands", yes.

Quote:

This "role assignment" has been abused for centuries, and still is often today. To me his answer, though may be very true, wasn't exactly where the poster he quoted was going. That was my whole point. I just think he conveinently avoided addressing some of the pitfalls of this type of thinking by giving the nice neat "love all" answer.

Yes, I went back and reread both what Mrs. S wrote and what nathan1977 replied and I see what you mean. I confess, perhaps I was being a bit snarky (and if I was I apologize) but I think I was responding to the larger overall dialogue and how his weighing in was treated. As far as I could tell from his larger post, nathan1977 was agreeing that this school's take on women's "roles" is pretty whack and yet, I felt he was attacked anyway (that "why is it you religious people. . ." comment really stuck in my craw because I'm what you might call a religious person and I don't subscribe to ANY of the views held by this school). I felt like he was being criticized based on who he is and his known reputation for taking conservative positions and so it was assumed that deep down he must really agree with the views of this school in Texas. Which I felt was really unfair.

But perhaps I was assuming too much, and that wasn't wise on my part, I admitt. After all, we all know what assuming makes out of you and me . . .

Quote:

Which I think is the right answer, but it's similar to the hate the sin, love the sinner answer we often get.

Yeah, I've grown increasingly uncomfortable with the actual application of this idea myself.

Quote:

I guess I want someone who still believes in these gender roles to explain how they use these roles in their own lives and if they find them to be truly equal. And then to see how literal do they take them, can the roles be reversed, can they be divided?
Well, I'm not that someone. But like you, I'd like to hear the answers to these questions too. Unfortunately, I'm not sure there's anyone on this thread (yet) who's willing to cop to believing in rigid old-school gender roles.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:10 AM   #42
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 11:11 PM
I'm also wondering what people imagine a "truly equal" marriage in which the woman is a homemaker should look like, and how they imagine that to clearly differ from what an "old-school gender roles" marriage looks like.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 10-24-2007, 01:14 AM   #43
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by yolland
I'm also wondering what people imagine a "truly equal" marriage in which the woman is a homemaker should look like, and how they imagine that to clearly differ from what an "old-school gender roles" marriage looks like.
Ooooh. Good question.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:43 AM   #44
She's the One

Local Time: 02:11 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by maycocksean
Unfortunately, I'm not sure there's anyone on this thread (yet) who's willing to cop to believing in rigid old-school gender roles.
They post here in FYM, I'm sure; but like you, I doubt they'd admit it in a post.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:45 AM   #45
Blue Crack Addict

Yep-we've seen evidence of it plenty of times