The Generation who watched our African brothers and sisters get put on the trains? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2003, 11:10 PM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 03:55 AM
The Generation who watched our African brothers and sisters get put on the trains?

http://www.christianitytoday.com/mus...bono-1202.html

In response to those opening statements, ChristianityToday.com asked Bono to elaborate on the spiritual ramifications relating to the AIDS epidemic in Africa, specifically seeking his views on how the church should step in. "There's a lot at stake here, obviously lives of people," he responded. "I think Judeo Christian culture is at stake. If the church doesn't respond to this, the church will be made irrelevant. It would [be] like the way you heard stories of people watching the Jews get put on the trains during the Holocaust. We will be that generation who watched our African brothers and sisters get put on the trains."

I am interested in your opinions to this article and Bono's reference to "being the generation who watched our African brothers and sisters get put on the trains." Is he going overboard? The few times I actually talk to people about helping Africa, their response is that America has enough of it's own problems (poverty,etc.) and we should solve them first before helping Africa.

I believe that Bono is doing the right thing and get frustrated that it is taking so long to get results from our government. The demand for these results come from the people and it seems that the people aren't saying much yet. Why not?

Old 01-07-2003, 11:34 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:55 PM
Anne,

One of the many myths in American history is that Americans did not know what Hitler and Germany were doing in the 1930s. For the most part Americans either did not care what happened to the Jews in Europe, or worse even, many condoned it. Jewish leaders went to FDR and pleaded for intervention, he could not afford to be seen as catering to the Jews.

The isolationists had won the day, the interventionists were seen as unAmerican. It was said that America had too many of her own problems.
Compared to the 30s economy (The depression) we are indeed in a much better position to come to the aid of our brother and sisters in Africa today.

Bono is right.

Old 01-07-2003, 11:48 PM   #3
Refugee

I never realized how long it took America to assist the Jews in Europe. How sad.
Old 01-08-2003, 09:29 AM   #4
New Yorker

Right. It took us being attacked on our own "turf" to get involved! *sigh* My how things have changed. I think Bono's exactly right (because he's right, not because he's Bono.)

Deep, great to see you on this thread. I hope you've sent your letter? Check out the link in my sig and the African Well Fund (link on the site in my sig) to get involved!

SD
Old 01-08-2003, 09:37 AM   #5
Refugee

Local Time: 02:55 AM
It was not only not assisting - America actually turned away boatloads of Jewish refugees from Europe who had managed to escape, and sent them back. Our response in the war was not to the holocaust, it was to Japan attacking us on our own soil, and finally responding to fascist governments invading democratic countries. (self-interest)

We do have a lot of problems here - but problems elsewhere in the world certainly do affect America. If you doubt that, just think back to Sept 11, 2001. When Bono was in Nashville, he said something along the lines of terrorists recruiting by whispering wicked ideas into the ears of the poorest and most wretched. And it's true -- radical fundamentalism tends to get its start in the soup of oppression and poverty. As a nation, we already turned our backs on Africa once, during the Rwanda tragedy. For our national interest, we cannot afford to continue to do that. And as a people, we shouldn't.

Old 01-08-2003, 01:47 PM   #6
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by Sherry Darling
Right. It took us being attacked on our own "turf" to get involved! *sigh* My how things have changed. I think Bono's exactly right (because he's right, not because he's Bono.)

SD
Right, things haven't changed at all in Washington. The 3 billion we should contribute to the UN aids fund is a drop in the bucket of our Military budget (at least 369B) and should be taken out of there. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

I think the distinction Bono is trying to make about Africa, is that it is am emergency with 6500 dying daily and another 9500 being infected. They need help now, not in a few years.
Old 01-08-2003, 02:32 PM   #7
Refugee

Re: The Generation who watched our African brothers and sisters get put on the trains?

I am interested in your opinions to this article and Bono's reference to "being the generation who watched our African brothers and sisters get put on the trains." Is he going overboard? The few times I actually talk to people about helping Africa, their response is that America has enough of it's own problems (poverty,etc.) and we should solve them first before helping Africa.

Bono did say that in nashville, but I'm trying to remember who it was that actually said it. Bono asked permission of him to say that same phrase at his speech. I can't remember who it was but if someone does , please post it.
Old 01-08-2003, 02:35 PM   #8
Refugee

xx

xx
Old 01-08-2003, 02:38 PM   #9
Refugee

I found it , here it is.......

Bono revealed that he sought and received permission from Rep. Tom Lantos, (D-Calif.), a Holocaust survivor, to liken the plight of Africans dying of AIDS as the world turns a blind eye, to Jews being forced into death camp-bound trains, while the world did nothing.

and this...

"I met a Senator Lantos who was a prisoner at Auschwitz, and he said that if they were being put on the trains, he could see people who were watching them being put on the trains. He said, 'what are these people thinking?'. I kind of feel like we're the generation that's watching these people being put on the trains, and that's how Senator Lantos felt. "

"Are we not watching them being put on trains again?" Bono said. "I want to offer my services to at least just lay on the tracks."
Old 01-08-2003, 02:46 PM   #10
New Yorker

Scarletwine,

I sure hope you've let your leaders know how you feel! Feel free to use to sample letter on my site in my sig.

Amen!

SD
Old 01-08-2003, 04:05 PM   #11
New Yorker

I've sent letters, e-mails, ect. to the Pres and my senators/reps.
I was supprised to get a reply from DeWine, of course he voted against the 5 B package as did our new Senate majority leader.
Old 01-08-2003, 04:05 PM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:55 AM
good article anne.
bono has a way of reminding all of us to "do the right thing"..

he has enough clout to do this as his motives are genuine.
i think he feels even if we give w/all of our problems, things will still work themselves out.

love is endless and rejuninates itself automatically, its not like charity has a limit...

db9
Old 01-08-2003, 04:12 PM   #13
New Yorker

Scarletwine, I'll add you right away! Frist voted against it??? Wow.

SD
Old 01-08-2003, 04:25 PM   #14
Refugee

Thank you all for more education. I hope that people that read this thread will call/write the government if they haven't already.

Anne
Old 01-08-2003, 04:25 PM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by deep
Anne,

One of the many myths in American history is that Americans did not know what Hitler and Germany were doing in the 1930s. For the most part Americans either did not care what happened to the Jews in Europe, or worse even, many condoned it. Jewish leaders went to FDR and pleaded for intervention, he could not afford to be seen as catering to the Jews.

The isolationists had won the day, the interventionists were seen as unAmerican. It was said that America had too many of her own problems.
Compared to the 30s economy (The depression) we are indeed in a much better position to come to the aid of our brother and sisters in Africa today.

Bono is right.
This is an excellent post. Nice thread Anne. FDR wanted to get involved more in stopping Hitler, but he did not have the political grounds to stand on at the time. If Pearl Harbor had not happened, one might begin to wonder when the US would have become involved in the war in more than a covert manner.

As for the isolationists, President Kennedy's father, who was the Ambassador to Great Britain for FDR was outspoken in his support of the Isolationist policy. I also, and I may be overtating here, believe he had made statements in support of Hitler. It was politically damaging for him later on, and ruined his own political aspirations.

I am bringing my class to the Kennedy Museum in less than a month, and I will look for some information in the area.

I applaud all of you for your activism in this area. I think the World must work together to do something. I (as always) would love to look at some of the waste (ie Tobacco settlement $$) and channel it somewhere else rather than raise taxes.

Peace