The Gay Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kentucky's chief lawyer Jack Conway went against his governor and arguably the will of his constituents when he tearfully announced on Tuesday he wouldn't defend a Kentucky law banning recognition of out-of-state gay marriages.

Would we be applauding "pro-life" governors, lawyers and attorneys general if they were refusing to enforce Roe vs Wade's lifting of states abortion bans because of their personal beliefs?

Would we be applauding "pro-life" governors, lawyers and attorneys general if they were refusing to enforce Roe vs Wade's lifting of states abortion bans because of their personal beliefs?

Some would be.

But they would have SCOTUS rulings against them.

In 20 years, everyone will be saying how they would have been for SSM had they been around back then, in the way that you try to rewrite history so the GOP seems less blatantly racist.

pew-marriage1.png

The Marriage Equality End Game « The Dish

But when people resolve the struggle between theory and the human person – and it’s only resolved by embracing the whole person, including her sexual orientation – the denial of equality can seem increasingly outrageous. No straight person would ever acquiesce to the idea that he or she does not have a right to marry. Such a denial seems redolent only of slavery’s evil treatment of African-Americans. And who can really demand that another human being never experience love, commitment and intimacy? And so, over time, the country is sorting itself into two camps: most everyone in one camp, and older, white evangelicals – who have often never met a gay person – in the other. Which means a huge headache for the GOP.

Time is fast running out for the old guard. They can hold on as tightly as they want to their worldview, but those only a generation behind them don't share it. Anyone under the age of 30, regardless of their political beliefs, is far more likely to be for gay marriage than against it.

Last edited:
And so, over time, the country is sorting itself into two camps: most everyone in one camp, and older, white evangelicals – who have often never met a gay person – in the other.

Isn't SSM also unpopular with blacks and Muslims? But only a racist or Islamaphobe would mention that and this author is a good liberal preaching to the choir.

Wisdom may come with age, but also stubbornness and refusal to live in the present rather than the nostalgia filled past.

Younger people are far more open to change. And willing to accept things may not be the way they always thought they were.

I wouldn't want to lower myself to his level. And hey, if his God hates us so much, I'm SURE he'll save his life cause he's such an avid supporter, right?

say it ain't so. more unelected activist judges legislating from the bench imposing their agenda!

Judge recognizes gay marriages of 3 Tennessee couples

NASHVILLE — A federal judge here granted a preliminary injunction Friday against the state's ban on same-sex marriage in certain instances.

In October three same-sex couples filed a lawsuit asking the state to recognize their marriages that had been performed in states where gay marriage is legal. The four couples taking part in the suit were living and had been married in New York or California but had moved to Tennessee.

"At this point, all signs indicate that, in the eyes of the United States Constitution, the plaintiffs' marriages will be placed on an equal footing with those of heterosexual couples and that proscriptions against same-sex marriage will soon become a footnote in the annals of American history," Judge Aleta Trauger wrote in the order.

Friday's U.S. District Court ruling applies only to these three couples.

Nashville lawyer Abby Rubenfeld, who represents the couples, cheered the legal win and said it was a good first step toward total equality for all same-sex married couples in Tennessee.

The state bans same-sex marriage in both a state law passed in 1998 and a constitutional amendment passed in 2006.

"We are reviewing the decision and intend to take all necessary steps to defend the law," the state attorney general's office said in a statement.

The couples who filed suit hail from across Tennessee: Matthew Mansell and Johno Espejo of Franklin, about 20 miles south of Nashville; Drs. Valeria Tanco and Sophy Jesty of Knoxville; Ijpe DeKoe and Thomas Kostura of Memphis; and Kellie Miller and Vanessa DeVillez of Greenbrier, about 20 miles north of Nashville.

Mansell said he and his husband married Aug. 5, 2008, in California and made their home in the San Francisco Bay area. When the opportunity for a job transfer to Tennessee arose in 2012, they worried about their son and daughter, now 7 and 5, but decided to move so they could enjoy Williamson County schools.

"It was different in the fact that we had to be a little bit careful about how we presented ourselves, that we didn't have to scare the neighbors away, but they've been very, very supportive of us," he said.

Mansell and Espejo have been together for 19 years, and Mansell said he wants his marriage to be seen the same way as his parents, who were married for 56 years. His mother recently moved from Arizona to live with them.

"I would hope that the state does not appeal and that this can be a ruling on the merits of our suit and allow other people similarly situated or who want to get married in the state of Tennessee to do so," he said.

GOP state Sen. Mike Bell of Riceville, Tenn., said he was disappointed in the ruling.

"I am saddened that a federal judge has chosen to, at least in a narrow way, overturn the will of over 81% of the people of the state of Tennessee who devoted to define marriage as between a man and a woman." he said. "I am hoping the higher courts will overturn this activist judge's ruling."

Will any gay bakers be solicited to prepare several "god hates fags" cakes for the funeral repast?

Can they politely say no?

Because that's exactly what a wedding is like.

I'm sure lots of gays would gladly bake a cake when this awful person passes.

I wouldn't want to lower myself to his level. And hey, if his God hates us so much, I'm SURE he'll save his life cause he's such an avid supporter, right?

It's a miracle if he survives and it's his time if he goes.

You CAN'T win. The only thing you can do is ignore them.

Will any gay bakers be solicited to prepare several "god hates fags" cakes for the funeral repast?

Can they politely say no?
That's very hypothetical.
Surely none of the funeral guests would want to eat a cake prepared by a gay cake baker. Wouldn't they fear to get a bout of the gays themselves?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom