The Gay Thread - Page 59 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-28-2015, 02:41 AM   #871
Refugee
 
nbelcik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,456
Local Time: 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
So someone explain this Indiana bill to me. It basically works on the honor system, right? Is there anything stopping a, let's say, homophobic atheist from using Christianity as a front? I mean, there's no way this entire law can be based off of someone's word alone. But that's how it reads to me right now.

It also sounds like a legal nightmare, if that is the case.

It is based on someone's word, so there isn't anything to stop a homophobic atheist from using Christianity as a front. Anyone can say they have a deeply held religious belief that justifies their personal prejudices.


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
__________________

__________________
nbelcik is offline  
Old 03-28-2015, 03:05 AM   #872
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,813
Local Time: 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbelcik View Post
It is based on someone's word, so there isn't anything to stop a homophobic atheist from using Christianity as a front. Anyone can say they have a deeply held religious belief that justifies their personal prejudices.


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Well, shit.

And I'm sure victims of discrimination, in 2015, will be happy to stand there and take it when there's so physical proof that a business owner even has such a faith. What a fucking trainwreck.
__________________

__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is online now  
Old 03-28-2015, 09:34 AM   #873
The Fly
 
KoDVooDo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 52
Local Time: 04:40 PM
There are many things in this world I don't understand, but let's focus on those which pertain to this bullshit law. Excepting regulatory or legal requirements, shouldn't a business open to the public be required to be open to the entire public? I understand a person can have "deeply held" religious beliefs, but a business is separate from it's owner, isn't it? This would be a separate issue from Hobby Lobby not paying for health insurance because that's actually the owner spending his/her own money. Also separate from Chik-Fil-A, since they are closed to the entire public on Sundays not just those whom the owners consider immoral. Some may even argue that following their beliefs trumps the laws if man. Haven't been to church in years, but I seem to remember something about "render unto Caesar what is Ceasar's". The churches I went to generally accepted this to mean to live by the laws of the land even if the actions taken seemed at odds with religious teaching.

Just another reason I no longer have faith in religious establishments.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using U2 Interference mobile app
__________________
KoDVooDo is offline  
Old 03-28-2015, 09:49 AM   #874
Galeonbroad
 
Galeongirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Schoo Fishtank
Posts: 70,773
Local Time: 09:40 PM
I still find it striking that these intolerant homophobes still have such a strong voice. Here if someone utters something homophobic, it gets a small piece in the paper, everyone's duly outraged and then a day later nobody gives a damn anymore. They simply don't have a platform to shout their messages anymore.

Hopefully the US is gonna reach that point some day. There's a long way to go, but it's starting to go in the right direction.

It would be nice if everywhere around the world people would realise that religion and sexuality are private personal things, but yeah, I know that's pretty damn impossible to hope for.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceRyan View Post
And if U2 EVER did Hawkmoon live....and the version from the Lovetown Tour, my uterus would leave my body and fling itself at Bono - for realz.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline  
Old 03-28-2015, 11:13 AM   #875
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bono_212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 81,105
Local Time: 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoDVooDo View Post
Some may even argue that following their beliefs trumps the laws if man. Haven't been to church in years, but I seem to remember something about "render unto Caesar what is Ceasar's". The churches I went to generally accepted this to mean to live by the laws of the land even if the actions taken seemed at odds with religious teaching.
Basically.
__________________
bono_212 is offline  
Old 03-28-2015, 12:38 PM   #876
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,499
Local Time: 03:40 PM
The Gay Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbelcik View Post
It is based on someone's word, so there isn't anything to stop a homophobic atheist from using Christianity as a front. Anyone can say they have a deeply held religious belief that justifies their personal prejudices.


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference



But only against the gays. If I say i have a deeply rooted religious belief against baking macaroons for a Bar Mitzvah or seating blacks at my restaurant, I can't refuse to do so. Because that would be discrimination, the bad kind.

So long as it's "deeply held" and "religious" it's automatically about the gays. These are our new code words. Right?
__________________
Irvine511 is online now  
Old 03-28-2015, 12:42 PM   #877
Blue Crack Distributor
 
corianderstem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 63,731
Local Time: 12:40 PM
Well, we all know if there had been any gays at the wedding at Canaa, Jesus would have been all "GTFO" and not let them have any of his magic fishes or wine.
__________________
corianderstem is offline  
Old 03-28-2015, 12:43 PM   #878
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,499
Local Time: 03:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galeongirl View Post
I still find it striking that these intolerant homophobes still have such a strong voice. Here if someone utters something homophobic, it gets a small piece in the paper, everyone's duly outraged and then a day later nobody gives a damn anymore. They simply don't have a platform to shout their messages anymore.

Hopefully the US is gonna reach that point some day. There's a long way to go, but it's starting to go in the right direction.

It would be nice if everywhere around the world people would realise that religion and sexuality are private personal things, but yeah, I know that's pretty damn impossible to hope for.


There's a major rural/urban divide in the US. And it's a huge place. There's a reason why this passed in a place like Indiana.
__________________
Irvine511 is online now  
Old 03-28-2015, 01:06 PM   #879
Galeonbroad
 
Galeongirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Schoo Fishtank
Posts: 70,773
Local Time: 09:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
But only against the gays. If I say i have a deeply rooted religious belief against baking macaroons for a Bar Mitzvah or seating blacks at my restaurant, I can't refuse to do so. Because that would be discrimination, the bad kind.

So long as it's "deeply held" and "religious" it's automatically about the gays. These are our new code words. Right?
Yeah, cause gays apparently aren't equal to 'normal' people. While we have now learned that jews and blacks are.



Man in 50 years this will all sound as ridiculous as it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
There's a major rural/urban divide in the US. And it's a huge place. There's a reason why this passed in a place like Indiana.
Fraid I don't have much knowledge on the different states, asides from the usual cliches. I take it Indiana is a bit backwards?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceRyan View Post
And if U2 EVER did Hawkmoon live....and the version from the Lovetown Tour, my uterus would leave my body and fling itself at Bono - for realz.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline  
Old 03-28-2015, 02:10 PM   #880
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bono_212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 81,105
Local Time: 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
But only against the gays. If I say i have a deeply rooted religious belief against baking macaroons for a Bar Mitzvah or seating blacks at my restaurant, I can't refuse to do so. Because that would be discrimination, the bad kind.

So long as it's "deeply held" and "religious" it's automatically about the gays. These are our new code words. Right?
Which is why a law like this bothers me so much. Who's to stop anyone from doing the above?

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
Well, we all know if there had been any gays at the wedding at Canaa, Jesus would have been all "GTFO" and not let them have any of his magic fishes or wine.
Again, exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
There's a major rural/urban divide in the US. And it's a huge place. There's a reason why this passed in a place like Indiana.
Actually, Indiana is a lot more complex a state than people give it credit for, which is why this is a very difficult situation for many people who live there, and why my Facebook feed is more blown up with people against this law passing than for it. The entire northwestern portion of the state is completely different from the rest. Blue area, industrial-based, central time zone, etc. The loudest rep against this is from my home city. He's been in the Indiana government for most of my life and I worked a page for him for a day back in 8th grade. You've probably seen a lot of quotes from him in the last few days, he's the House Minority Leader.

There are so many other problems in Indiana right now that this is taking attention from, it's pathetic. The mills are about to have more lay-offs, there's an HIV scare down south, the education system is beyond broken (no thanks to Pence, or his predecessor), but the fact is, if it's not happening in Indianapolis, or the surrounding area, the rest of the state couldn't give two fucks.

I could write a novel the length of A Song of Ice and Fire about how effed up things are in Indiana, and have been for quite some time.
__________________
bono_212 is offline  
Old 03-28-2015, 02:13 PM   #881
Babyface
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 5
Local Time: 04:40 PM
What really bugs me about all this homophobia going on is that there is no reason to even believe that being gay is wrong. The Bible actually doesn't say a word about it being a sin. Just look here.
__________________
99ledzeppelins is offline  
Old 03-28-2015, 02:16 PM   #882
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bono_212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 81,105
Local Time: 12:40 PM
That website is a sin. Holy shit, what year is it?!
__________________
bono_212 is offline  
Old 03-28-2015, 02:32 PM   #883
Babyface
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 5
Local Time: 04:40 PM
What do you mean it's a sin? Sorry I might be misinterpreting something here, idk.
__________________
99ledzeppelins is offline  
Old 03-28-2015, 03:05 PM   #884
Galeonbroad
 
Galeongirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Schoo Fishtank
Posts: 70,773
Local Time: 09:40 PM
Wow that's old skool!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceRyan View Post
And if U2 EVER did Hawkmoon live....and the version from the Lovetown Tour, my uterus would leave my body and fling itself at Bono - for realz.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline  
Old 03-28-2015, 03:31 PM   #885
Babyface
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 5
Local Time: 04:40 PM
Oh, now I get it. God, I'm oblivious.
__________________

__________________
99ledzeppelins is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com