The Gay Thread - Page 53 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2015, 07:39 PM   #781
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbelcik View Post
There's a difference between a tshirt company or a baker not wanting to print a message that is offensive to them and not offering services because of their innate characteristics. If a baker refused to put a pro-gay slogan on a wedding cake then that would be okay.

What is not okay is not baking a simple, neutral wedding cake for a gay couple because they're gay. That would be discriminating against a person based on innate characteristics.

Another example, a grocery store or barbershop has no right to refuse service to a neo-Nazi if they're simply shopping at the store. But, a tshirt company can refuse to print neo-Nazi slogans on a tshirt.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
I completely agree that a barbershop or grocery store shouldn't be able to refuse their services, BUT I do believe the baker has the right to refuse a gay wedding if that is against their beliefs. As much as I disagree with their stance, in THEIR mind they are condoning something they don't believe in. Just like that baker has the right to refuse a KKK wedding, even if the cake they were asked to do has no message on it.

There is no such thing as a neo-nazi, gay, black, white, or Republican haircut(despite all stereotypes) so a barber's services are not condoning anything, nor is the selling of groceries. BUT t-shirts, cakes, catering, djing, sign making, etc. these businesses come with some condoning of a message, and I believe they have the right to refuse such condoning, as wrong as they might be.

Old 02-22-2015, 07:41 PM   #782
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
How does that extremely selective legislation get passed and vetted? Who gets to decide the exceptions and fine definitions within such a law?

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference
Exactly, this is the REAL slippery slope.

Old 02-22-2015, 08:13 PM   #783
Refugee

Local Time: 09:28 AM
Quote:
How does that extremely selective legislation get passed and vetted? Who gets to decide the exceptions and fine definitions within such a law?

In most states there already is legislation and the courts have already done a good job of interpreting the laws and defining exactly what they mean.

Old 02-22-2015, 09:50 PM   #784
Blue Crack Addict

Breaking Gay News: there is now a gay couple on the Walking Dead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-23-2015, 12:34 AM   #785
She's the One

A dead couple?

(I've never seen the show. Are there alive and dead couples on the show?)
Old 02-23-2015, 12:35 AM   #786
She's the One

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbelcik View Post
In most states there already is legislation and the courts have already done a good job of interpreting the laws and defining exactly what they mean.

Examples?
Old 02-23-2015, 01:40 AM   #787
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:28 PM
Quote:
A dead couple?

(I've never seen the show. Are there alive and dead couples on the show?)

The dead are fodder, and lifeless beings. They're neither gay nor straight.

They've already encountered the undead, prisoners, lunatics, lesbians, and cannibals. All who have been on the opposite side, trying to kill them. It will be interesting to see how they wage war with the homosexual agenda.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:40 AM   #788
Galeonbroad

Local Time: 06:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
I completely agree that a barbershop or grocery store shouldn't be able to refuse their services, BUT I do believe the baker has the right to refuse a gay wedding if that is against their beliefs. As much as I disagree with their stance, in THEIR mind they are condoning something they don't believe in. Just like that baker has the right to refuse a KKK wedding, even if the cake they were asked to do has no message on it.

There is no such thing as a neo-nazi, gay, black, white, or Republican haircut(despite all stereotypes) so a barber's services are not condoning anything, nor is the selling of groceries. BUT t-shirts, cakes, catering, djing, sign making, etc. these businesses come with some condoning of a message, and I believe they have the right to refuse such condoning, as wrong as they might be.
That was mostly my point as well.

I think the bad publicity is a much stronger weapon than forcing by law in this case.

If I had a child and the pediatrician had issues treating them because of my orientation, I wouldn't even want her to care for my child anymore. I'll go find a different person who cares for kids and humans the same way. Luckily I live in a country where this isn't an issue.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Old 02-24-2015, 10:45 AM   #789
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:

It doesn't. We stay in this middle ground of bullshit .

If you pass legislation based on not allowing refusal of service based on things that you are born with, but allowing people to refuse service based on ideology, it opens up the rights for businesses to refuse service due to religion.

Frankly, I think you let it go, and allow the free market to take care of it. Chick-fil-a may have increased business in the south, as was pointed out, but they were completely shut out of expansion plans in huge markets like New York and Boston due to their views.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:58 PM   #790
She's the One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post

Frankly, I think you let it go, and allow the free market to take care of it. Chick-fil-a may have increased business in the south, as was pointed out, but they were completely shut out of expansion plans in huge markets like New York and Boston due to their views.
Right now, this seems to be the solution.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:40 PM   #791
ONE
love, blood, life

It's getting uncomfortably libertarian in here guys.

Wouldn't want anyone to waste their vote on Gary Johnson...
Old 02-25-2015, 01:02 AM   #792
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 05:28 PM
The Gay Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
It's getting uncomfortably libertarian in here guys.

Wouldn't want anyone to waste their vote on Gary Johnson...

I'm not getting that vibe at all.
It's the free market essentially voting for companies and what the companies stand for with their dollar, it's just simple free market capitalism.
Nothing really Libertarian about it.

Old 02-25-2015, 05:08 AM   #793
Galeonbroad

I've no idea what libertarian even is so I don't know... but I do agree with Headache. Just let the shallow minded companies be known in public, and see what happens to their sales.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Old 02-25-2015, 08:53 AM   #794
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 05:28 PM
The Gay Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galeongirl View Post
I've no idea what libertarian even is so I don't know... but I do agree with Headache. Just let the shallow minded companies be known in public, and see what happens to their sales.

Libertarianism is basically the belief that the government needs to be reduced to funding the military, and that's it. Legalize everything and not allow the government to interfere with the private sector.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:02 AM   #795
Galeonbroad

Yeah, that sounds like a glorious idea lol. If we want our society and species to be wiped out in no time.

People are idiots. Whether we like it or not, they NEED someone to tell them what's right and wrong. So I'm far, far from Libertarianism then.