The FYM Republican Primary - Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Who will you vote for?

• Former Gov. Mike Huckabee

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Sen. John McCain

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Former Gov. Mitt Romney

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Former Mayor Rudy Giuliani

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rep. Ron Paul

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Former Sen. Fred D. Thompson

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Rep. Duncan Hunter

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Other (Indicate Choice via Post)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
You know, both of these polls need an "I don't support [party in question] but I want to see the results" option to select so that when you return to the thread, you don't have to click through to see how the polls are progressing.

And where are the old threads? I'd like to see how they turned out in the end.

Axver said:
You know, both of these polls need an "I don't support [party in question] but I want to see the results" option to select so that when you return to the thread, you don't have to click through to see how the polls are progressing.

I think that's a very good idea. Could the mods do this for both polls?

Are you sure you guys want that? Because it's going to mess up the percentages if we do.

That's true, though last time, didn't at least a few people vote (either "here's who I'd select if you put a gun to my head" or a selection of "other" meaning "no vote") just to see the results without clicking through? That messes with the percentages too.

It's a shame Interference polls don't have a separate "no vote" option that doesn't affect percentages like some other forums I visit do.

Huckabee FTW. Don't care for McCain at all, while Ron Paul's ideas are a bit too "out there" and unrealistic for my tastes, and Giuliani? Yeah right.

Wow, what a difference a few months can make. McCain only had 10% of the vote last time, now he has 58%!:wink:

Because many opinions have changed. She even wrote in the original thread that she planned to post the second ones around this time. The point of this is to gauge where FYM is leaning.

intedomine said:
If I was a Republican prat, I'd go Huckabee, cause he looks a wee like President Logan off 24.

:lmao:

I've thought that since the day I first saw Huckabee.

But isn't that a reason NOT to vote for Huckabee? :hmm:

If I was a Republican I'd vote Ron Paul. And to be honest I don't understand why a Republican/conservative wouldn't vote Ron Paul. Imagine if the election were Ron Paul/Dennis Kucinich and we could have some real Left vs. Right dialogue rather than the usual varying degrees of moderate that we're stuck choosing between.

CTU2fan said:
If I was a Republican I'd vote Ron Paul. And to be honest I don't understand why a Republican/conservative wouldn't vote Ron Paul. Imagine if the election were Ron Paul/Dennis Kucinich and we could have some real Left vs. Right dialogue rather than the usual varying degrees of moderate that we're stuck choosing between.

Yea that would be awesome, but unfortunately Americans are stupid and the media is biased against any sincere candidate who speaks the truth.

Yup, each and every one of us who doubts Ron Paul's "truth" is stupid and biased. :rolleyes:

phillyfan26 said:
Yup, each and every one of us who doubts Ron Paul's "truth" is stupid and biased. :rolleyes:

:blahblah:

Did I say that at all??? You are just putting words in my mouth.

First of all, I wasn't only talking about Ron Paul. I meant Dennis Kucinich also.

Second, I said the media is biased, not Americans, and this you and I agree with.

Third, I said Americans are stupid, yes, but I never said that they are stupid because they doubt Ron Paul's truth. Let me explain here. What I meant was that many Americans are stupid when they support a candidate purely because they: have a popular name, are good looking, are young, are a woman, are black, are an actor, are Christian, are the wife of Bill Clinton...without knowing much about the issues at all, and that is where the stupidity is.

Apparently there is a small movement of LDS supporters for Ron Paul:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zJxSDDGZFQo

This DVD was left on all of the conregation's windshields while we worshipped in church yesterday.

The Church frowns on this.

We never endorse any candidate, this is why some LDS support Harry Ried, have supported Morris Udall in the past- both prominent Democrats.

A lot of Right Wing extremists have been excommunicated from the Church along with Left Wing fanatics.

Ron Paul is a nusance.

dbs

Infinitum98 said:
:blahblah:

Did I say that at all??? You are just putting words in my mouth.

First of all, I wasn't only talking about Ron Paul. I meant Dennis Kucinich also.

Second, I said the media is biased, not Americans, and this you and I agree with.

Third, I said Americans are stupid, yes, but I never said that they are stupid because they doubt Ron Paul's truth. Let me explain here. What I meant was that many Americans are stupid when they support a candidate purely because they: have a popular name, are good looking, are young, are a woman, are black, are an actor, are Christian, are the wife of Bill Clinton...without knowing much about the issues at all, and that is where the stupidity is.

Actually, you did say that. Whether you meant it or not, you said Paul's not getting elected because Americans are stupid and the media is biased.

Second, it's stupid to claim that any politician "speaks the truth." I think there are politicians that are more honest than other, but it's pretty much impossible to be a politician and be truthful. It's not how the game is played. It's unfortunate, but it is the truth.

Now, what are your thoughts on Americans who have researched the issues and think Paul is full of shit or, at the very least, isn't a smart choice?

phillyfan26 said:

Actually, you did say that. Whether you meant it or not, you said Paul's not getting elected because Americans are stupid and the media is biased.

Second, it's stupid to claim that any politician "speaks the truth." I think there are politicians that are more honest than other, but it's pretty much impossible to be a politician and be truthful. It's not how the game is played. It's unfortunate, but it is the truth.

Now, what are your thoughts on Americans who have researched the issues and think Paul is full of shit or, at the very least, isn't a smart choice?

Actually, that is not what I said. But let me clarify: Many times Americans support candidates for the wrong reasons, as I listed in my earlier post, and that is stupid. This, along with the medias bias against people like Ron Paul or Dennis Kucinich is the reason that these candidates don't have higher support.

When I said speaks the truth, it wasn't stupid. I think its pretty stupid to take what I said literally. Of course there has never been anyone who speaks the truth 100%. But there are many candidates who speak such bullshit and are popular or get applauds when they say such things as "our soldiers are fighting hard, let them win" (something McCain would say).

On Americans who have researched the issue and still don't support Ron Paul or Dennis Kucinich, I have nothing against them. As long as they are not supporting a candidate for a stupid reason.

You act as if my point is to draw support for Ron Paul when I actually brought the issue up about candidates on both sides who don't get media attention and about Americans who vote for the wrong reason. It is sad that candidates such as Ron Paul, Dennis Kucinich, Mike Gravel get little or no attention from the media and Americans alike. I think i've made my point, and I won't debate further on the issue.

diamond said:
Apparently there is a small movement of LDS supporters for Ron Paul:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zJxSDDGZFQo

This DVD was left on all of the conregation's windshields while we worshipped in church yesterday.

The Church frowns on this.

We never endorse any candidate, this is why some LDS support Harry Ried, have supported Morris Udall in the past- both prominent Democrats.

A lot of Right Wing extremists have been excommunicated from the Church along with Left Wing fanatics.

Ron Paul is a nusance.

dbs

Apparently quite a few of the Mormon society are leaning towards Paul...

I have a few outspoken LDS fans on my music MySpace page that send out bulletins on quite a regular basis.

I found this one to be interesting(in a weird car wreck kind of way):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syDAa-doSLo

Last edited:
BonoVoxSupastar said:

Apparently quite a few of the Mormon society are leaning towards Paul...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syDAa-doSLo

not quite a few, in proportion to the Church population, but a small sliver or contingency.

there are also a contingency supporting Obama.

You need to understand that the Church has conservative members, liberal members and moderates and endorses no polictical philosophy or candidate.

Were it not so Morris Udall and Harry Reid would have never been elected.

The Church teaches a concept called free agency ( free will) and personal revelation where you make your own decisions peritent to your own lives, with the help of God's spirit.

dbs

Back
Top Bottom