The FYM Republican Primary

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which Republican Presidential candidate will you vote for?

• Rudy Giuliani former mayor of New York City

Votes: 14 25.5%
  • Mike Huckabee, former Governor of Arkansas

Votes: 7 12.7%
  • Representative Duncan Hunter

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Senator John McCain

Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Representative Ron Paul

Votes: 19 34.5%
  • Mitt Romney, former Governor of Massachusetts

Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Representative Tom Tancredo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fred Thompson, former Senator of Tennessee

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Other - Write In

Votes: 2 3.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

U2democrat

Blue Crack Addict
Try and take this poll seriously, I'd like to get an accurate read on how people are leaning here. Please stick to your party, and if you are Independent only vote once. Thanks :D

In 2 months I'll post another poll as it gets closer to the primaries and candidates will probably have dropped out.

If you write in, say who.

Last edited:
Kucinich vs. Paul would be ideal for me, but probably won't happen in a million years. I like Giuliani personally, but I'm not in complete agreement with his politics.

Well, since this is imaginary internet land, which is quite disconnected from reality; Ron Paul.

Rudy sucks...I still can't believe people label him as a "hero" for just doing his fuckin job on 9/11. He better not win. If I was voting republican (and believe me i'm NOT) I would vote for Huckabee or Thompson.

Harry Vest said:
Rudy sucks...I still can't believe people label him as a "hero" for just doing his fuckin job on 9/11. He better not win. If I was voting republican (and believe me i'm NOT) I would vote for Huckabee or Thompson.

that's the other thing -- Rudy looked so great (and, yes, was very strong in the face of a crisis), but that's because Bush was totally absent from the scene. for a day or two, Rudy performed in the manner that Bush should have performed.

I don't plan on voting Republican but I'm curious as to why Ron Paul is so popular among people my age in their 20's.. I know he voted against the Iraq war but what are some of the other possible reasons?

If I'm Republican, I'm scared to death this year. Weak crop of candidates.

Huckabee and Paul are the two best bets you have as far as somewhat reasonable candidates. Rudy scares me to death, Fred Thompson's a complete moron, and Mitt Romney is completely unimpressive.

Unfortunately, Rudy's a sure bet to get the nomination.

phillyfan26 said:

Unfortunately, Rudy's a sure bet to get the nomination.

That's not true at all. Mitt's got an equal chance. I'm ruling out McCain and Thompson, but I wouldnt be surprised if Huckabee won it.

:giggle: ok I my husband's mothers family is from Arkansas, so I can laugh about this and poke a little fun....but I can't believe the Govenor from Arkansas is actually named Huckabee.......gez.....how much more poe dunk can ya get?!

jk...sorry didn't mean to offend anyone. I picked Rudy too because...well I've always had a great deal of respect for him, even though I've never lived in NYC. But from everything I've learned about him, I like him.

Kiki said:
:giggle: ok I my husband's mothers family is from Arkansas, so I can laugh about this and poke a little fun....but I can't believe the Govenor from Arkansas is actually named Huckabee.......gez.....how much more poe dunk can ya get?!

Sorry, but I'm lacking the background knowledge, so could you explain it to me?

'Podunk' is slang (borrowed from an Algonquin Indian word) for an insignificant and undistinguished place, a 'backwater.' I guess the idea would be that "Huckabee" sounds sort of like "hick," or reminds you of Huck Finn, or something like that. It's just an ordinary English surname, not common, not rare either.

yolland said:
'Podunk' is slang (borrowed from an Algonquin Indian word) for an insignificant and undistinguished place, a 'backwater.' I guess the idea would be that "Huckabee" sounds sort of like "hick," or reminds you of Huck Finn, or something like that. It's just an ordinary English surname, not common, not rare either.

Ok, that explains a bit, thank you.

Well, Schroeder is a common surname in Germany.

I just came to think that Huckabee was close to hug a bee.

AngelofHarlem01 said:
I don't plan on voting Republican but I'm curious as to why Ron Paul is so popular among people my age in their 20's.. I know he voted against the Iraq war but what are some of the other possible reasons?

Well there are a few reasons:

1) You're right about the war in Iraq. He was one of the very few REPUBLICAN Senators or Congressmen that voted against the war in the beginning and have always kept that position.

2) He is the only person running for President who has the guts to say, and is right by the way, that the reason al-Qaeda attacked us was because we have been in the Muslim holy land and have continuously interfered with the Middle East. (Not that 9/11 was justified)

3) He doesn't believe in spending trillions of hard earned dollars on fighting wars with countries that have no capability of attacking us.

4) He believes in a much more subtle foreign policy, which consists of trade and friendship.

5) He has NEVER voted for a Congressional pay increase.

6) He believes in ultra low taxes for ALL people (not just the rich).

7) He believes in ultra low spending.

8) So pretty much, he is a Classic Republican and not neo-con like the ones who have hijacked my beloved Republican party.

Okay, lets be honest. The one HUGE edge that the Democratic nominee will have on the Republican nominee is the War in Iraq. Neo-cons can whine all they want but most of the country is sick and tired of the war. If Ron Paul was actually nominated, Hillary would NOT BE ABLE TO ATTACK HIM ABOUT HIS VIEWS ON IRAQ, as she would be able to for Giuliani, Thompson, Mitt, or any other Republican.

In fact, Ron Paul will be able to attack Hillary on Iraq because she actually voted for the war.

Right now Ron Paul is not a popular name like Giuliani or Fred, but if people come to their senses and actually nominate him, I believe we can destroy the Democrats in '08.

Kiki said:

jk...sorry didn't mean to offend anyone. I picked Rudy too because...well I've always had a great deal of respect for him, even though I've never lived in NYC. But from everything I've learned about him, I like him.

lol, as an Arkansan I agree. :) Just wait until he pulls up with a double wide next to the white house if he wins, just like he did next to the governor's mansion.

As for me, my vote's on Ron Paul

LemonMelon said:
Kucinich vs. Paul would be ideal for me, but probably won't happen in a million years. I like Giuliani personally, but I'm not in complete agreement with his politics.

Me too. I don't agree with Giulliani's politics. He's also got about a million skeletons in his closet.

Back
Top Bottom