The FYM Republican Primary - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Which Republican Presidential candidate will you vote for?
Rudy Giuliani former mayor of New York City 14 25.45%
Mike Huckabee, former Governor of Arkansas 7 12.73%
Representative Duncan Hunter 0 0%
Senator John McCain 6 10.91%
Representative Ron Paul 19 34.55%
Mitt Romney, former Governor of Massachusetts 6 10.91%
Representative Tom Tancredo 0 0%
Fred Thompson, former Senator of Tennessee 1 1.82%
Other - Write In 2 3.64%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-30-2007, 01:55 PM   #31
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:27 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by intedomine
Yuk, Mitt Romney
I don't like him either.

Old 12-05-2007, 04:37 PM   #32
Refugee

Local Time: 04:27 PM
Who the fuck supports Giuliani? This is a guy who is willing to NUKE IRAN. Do you people not get it?????

Old 12-09-2007, 12:34 PM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:27 PM
GOP candidates seek Hispanic allies
Appeals go out to Cuban-Americans
By Michael Levenson
Globe Staff / December 9, 2007

MIAMI - The hard-line immigration stances taken by the GOP Republican presidential candidates this year have stoked so much anger among Hispanic voters that the candidates are focusing their appeals almost exclusively on the reliably Republican Cuban-American community.

more stories like thisThe narrowing appeal to Cuban-Americans underscores how polarizing the immigration debate has become and how difficult it has been for the candidates to make the sort of inroads with other Latinos, who were key to President Bush's victory in 2004, when he won about 40 percent of the Hispanic vote, the most for a Republican presidential candidate in nearly three decades.

A survey released Thursday by the Pew Hispanic Center showed a widespread exodus by Hispanic voters from the Republican Party, with 57 percent saying they are Democrats or favor the Democratic Party and 23 percent saying they are Republicans or favor the GOP. That 34 percentage point gap was just 21 percent in July 2006.

Facing that growing deficit, the Republican candidates have lavished most of their attention on Cuban-Americans - who make up 4 percent of the nation's estimated 46 million Hispanics but who register and vote at the highest rates among Latinos - and have paid relatively little attention to other Hispanic communities.

"The outreach hasn't been there to other Latino communities; I don't think it's been even as aggressive to Cubans," said Maria de los Angeles Torres, a scholar of Cuban-American politics who directs the Latin American and Latino studies program at the University of Illinois at Chicago. "I think that they think the Latino vote doesn't really count unless it's a very close election, and that the cost of going after this vote is going to cost them more than it gives them, because they're calculating that there are more anti-immigrant feelings out there than pro-immigrant feelings."

The Republican candidates will address the broader Hispanic community tonight in a debate in suburban Miami sponsored by Univision, the first Spanish-language forum of the GOP campaign. The lone no-show will be Tom Tancredo, the Colorado congressman whose presidential bid is based on an anti-immigration stance and who has said he won't attend a Spanish-language debate.

In the Pew survey, Rudy Giuliani led among Hispanic Republicans, followed by Fred Thompson, John McCain, and Mitt Romney.

Despite the growing influence of Hispanic voters in the South and Midwest, most of the Spanish-language advertising in the campaign has targeted South Florida, home to the largest Cuban-American community. And most of it has come from Romney, the former Massachusetts governor, who began airing a new Spanish-language radio ad in Florida on Friday and previously aired one featuring his son Craig"

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/ar...allies/?page=1
Old 12-11-2007, 12:28 PM   #34
Blue Crack Addict

I think it's crummy that Tancredo won't participate in a Spanish-language debate. There goes the Cuban vote.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:27 AM   #35
Refugee

Whoa! I just checked Ron Paul's website and I think he's raised about $500,000 over the last 24 hours. He's at $11.3 million for the quarter!

Ron Paul

Fuck the neo-cons!

Old 12-12-2007, 11:16 AM   #36
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:27 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Infinitum98
Whoa! I just checked Ron Paul's website and I think he's raised about $500,000 over the last 24 hours. He's at $11.3 million for the quarter!

Ron Paul

Fuck the neo-cons!

Good luck there, buddy.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:50 PM   #37
Blue Crack Supplier

Why the roll of the eyes? Do you not think Ron Paul is a legitimate candidate? (not talking about his shot - it's long, we know)
Old 12-12-2007, 03:23 PM   #38
Refugee

Local Time: 05:27 PM
Nice to see there are Ron Paul supporters out there.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:10 PM   #39
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Apperently he doesn't have too many fans at Fox either:

Old 12-12-2007, 07:18 PM   #40
Refugee

I kind of get the feeling that the Republican Party is doing everything in their power to keep Ron Paul out of the lime light because they see him as a threat to their party - raising almost 12 million, having the momentum right now, leading in poll victories and head-to-head debates. I wonder if the party is uneasy with the success of Ron Paul so far.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:26 PM   #41
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Oh absolutely. The party doesn't want him. There's another youtube video out there where they have a phone poll that listed all the names on the Rep ticket except Paul and then if anyone pressed 'other' they were dropped.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:03 PM   #42
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Fan101
I kind of get the feeling that the Republican Party is doing everything in their power to keep Ron Paul out of the lime light because they see him as a threat to their party - raising almost 12 million, having the momentum right now, leading in poll victories and head-to-head debates. I wonder if the party is uneasy with the success of Ron Paul so far.
Well, he does not have more than 5% in any poll, so he is no more of threat than Dennis Kucinich for the Democrats. A candidate that acts like the year is 1807 and not 2007 when it comes to US foreign policy is not going to win the nomination in either party.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:13 PM   #43
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Strongbow

Well, he does not have more than 5% in any poll, so he is no more of threat than Dennis Kucinich for the Democrats. A candidate that acts like the year is 1807 and not 2007 when it comes to US foreign policy is not going to win the nomination in either party.
Well the GOP kinda lives in 1807 on many issues, so why not this one.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:49 AM   #44
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Best post of the week.
Old 12-13-2007, 01:25 AM   #45
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Strongbow

A candidate that acts like the year is 1807 and not 2007 when it comes to US foreign policy is not going to win the nomination in either party.
Tell me, what do you mean by that, exactly? His foreign policy is simple: Mind your own business and you won't get hurt. What is so 1807 about that?

Nearly every other country follows this "1807" principle and they are all fine. So the joke is on neo-cons not on the rest of us.

When is the last time you saw Switzerland get attacked by al-Qaeda? Or Chile? Or Canada?