The FYM GOOD reading list... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2005, 06:56 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:48 AM
The FYM GOOD reading list...

Have we done this in here before? I was thinking about starting this thread the other day, but have now been further inspired by the thread on the kids book. There's a lot of hysterical rubbish out there, so I thought we should get an 'FYM Recommended Reading' list started. Your favourite books on topics that are somehow relevent to topics we come across in here. Maybe it is opinionated, maybe it's just an excellent reference, maybe it is an inspirational fictional story.

I'll start with what I'm currently reading - The World Is Flat, by Thomas Friedman. It's not anything you don't know already, but it's a really well written and thought out summary of the globalized world as it is right now. How we got here, where we are at and where we will likely go. I haven't read any of his other books (eg The Lexus & The Olive Tree) but probably will, I like his style. I would recommend this to you whether you have an advanced economics degree or whether you know absolutely zero about what the word 'globalization' even really means.

Old 09-26-2005, 07:04 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:48 PM
i don't read enough books

but I will be sure to add this to the list of books I would like to have read.

Old 09-26-2005, 07:28 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:18 PM
This is a good idea for a thread but I just hope everyone promises not to sidetrack the thread with arguments about the books liberalism or conservatism or religious fervor or lack thereof.

I recommend The End of Poverty: Economic Possibilities for Our Time by Jeffrey Sachs.

And Can We Be Good Without God by Robert Buckman.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:04 PM   #4
Jesus Online

Local Time: 10:48 AM
Mao's Last Dancer by Li Cunxin. It's his biography, and is fascinating if you have an interest in either communism, China or ballet.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:27 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:48 PM
"Dark Star Safari: Overland from Cairo to Cape Town" by Paul Thereux.

Thereux is a travel writer, he's written some wonderful stuff and a really interesting book about China as well (called "Riding the Iron Rooster").

Dark Star Safari is, as the title suggests, a journey beginning in Cairo and ending in Cape Town, in which the author repeatedly reads Conrad's Heart of Darkness. It's interesting because he lived in Africa in the 60s (I believe in Uganda, but can't remember), and he returns some 40 years later and finds it a terribly dark and miserable place.

He is also extremely critical of the western charity and aid organizations, and this is brought up in the Bono: In Conversation book. I think it's an intersting read for people interested in the African situation because it gives you a different perspective and especially on the entire aid issue. He not only gives commentary but speaks to the Africans on the ground.

It's an illuminating, beautiful book.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:30 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:48 PM
the diary of anne frank, my favourite book

jeffrey stackhouse - out of poverty, for a unique and empowering look at grassroots development strategies in asia and africa
Old 09-26-2005, 10:25 PM   #7
New Yorker

Local Time: 07:48 PM
Globalization and Its Discontents by Joseph Stigletz-- a great beginners crash course on the IMF, World Bank, debt, trade, structural adjustment and so on--it breaks things down with out watering them down

Amy Chua's World on Fire is also excellent on in its discussion of some of the contradictions and dangers of US foreign policy when it comes to exporting free-market democracy (ie, does it really get us the prosperity and security we want?)

I've been flipping through Simone DeBouvier's The Second Sex, too and I love it
Old 09-26-2005, 11:07 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:48 PM
Biko

Author:
Donald Woods.

Black Like Me

Author:
John Howard Griffin

Embraced By The Light
Author:
Betty Eadie
Old 09-26-2005, 11:59 PM   #9
Refugee

Local Time: 11:48 PM
I remember there was a "banned books" thread awhile ago. Can anyone with search capabilities point me to it. I think there were A LOT of good books in there.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:24 AM   #10
New Yorker

The Discovery of Heaven - Harry Mulisch. It's huge, goes on interminably, and yet manages to remain interesting throughout. A story of chance, fate, and philosophy.

The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy, a novel based on her own experience of growing up in Kerala. It's very well written and contains some glorious imagery.

Polly Samson's Lying In Bed. It's not the most accomplished book, but it does consist of some interesting short stories. I think Samson can write well; she adopts a multitude of perspectives to tell her tales.

Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy.

HItchikers Guide, obviously. Plus, Sue Townsend's Adrian Mole books are hilarious, if you want a giggle.

Ray Coleman's Lennon: The Definitive Biography. It's the least biased and most comprehensive of any of the Beatle lit published so far, in my opinion.

Finally, we can't forget that intellectually stimulating tome which forms tne basis of civilisation. Yep, you guessed it: My Pet Goat. Best read upside down... or so I'm told.

Old 09-27-2005, 12:28 AM   #11
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by unosdostres14
I remember there was a "banned books" thread awhile ago. Can anyone with search capabilities point me to it. I think there were A LOT of good books in there.
Yes. Here you go:
http://forum.interference.com/showth...hreadid=136320
Old 09-27-2005, 01:25 AM   #12
Jesus Online

Local Time: 10:48 AM
One of my all-time favourite books.

'Are you there, God? It's me, Margaret' by Judy Blume. As Margaret adjusts to adolesence, she converses with God. It's brilliantly touching, humourous, and heartwarming. I'm tempted to send this around to people. We should set up an interf book swap where books can be sent around to folk and passed on once they're read.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:47 AM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:48 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Sherry Darling
Globalization and Its Discontents by Joseph Stigletz-- a great beginners crash course on the IMF, World Bank, debt, trade, structural adjustment and so on--it breaks things down with out watering them down

I also enjoyed Stiglitz's 'The Roaring Nineties' - very informative about the shortcomings of how the ups and downs of the booming economy were dealt with (largely incorrectly).
Old 09-27-2005, 12:22 PM   #14
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
One of my all-time favourite books.

'Are you there, God? It's me, Margaret' by Judy Blume. As Margaret adjusts to adolesence, she converses with God. It's brilliantly touching, humourous, and heartwarming. I'm tempted to send this around to people. We should set up an interf book swap where books can be sent around to folk and passed on once they're read.

I LOVE that book!

That's a great idea, Anna.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:34 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie

The Bible.
God's Politics by Jim Wallis.
Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller.
U2 At the End of the World by Bill Flanagan.