The FYM GOOD reading list...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Angela Harlem said:
We should set up an interf book swap where books can be sent around to folk and passed on once they're read.

i could totally get into something like that.

i go through boxes and boxes of donated books at work every week.

I have been getting free books through work for my entire adult life. The only book I've actually paid for in the last few years was Bono's book. They even paid for my Bob Dylan book because it has literary value. :wink: I would be happy to give some books away once in awhile but I don't know if I could commit to any kind of regular thing. What kinds of things do you like to read, bg?

joyfulgirl said:
I would be happy to give some books away once in awhile but I don't know if I could commit to any kind of regular thing.

i felt exactly the same way, but wasn't brave enough to say it. :shifty:

What kinds of things do you like to read, bg?

hmm, i suppose the only thing i would ever ask someone to look out for would be copies of nabokov's lolita. i am always interested in copies of it with different covers, different publication dates.

and if you, joyful, or anyone else has anything unusual like that that they are looking for as well, please let me know.

Please let me know when you have found it and are halfway through it. I would almost guarantee you will love/appreciate this in some way. It's a little like White Oleander in style.

Fifteen Decisive Battles of the World: From Marathon to Waterloo by Edward S. Creasy

The Dinosauria, Inside The Third Riech, anything by Steven Jay Gould, Atlas Shrugged, Road to Serfdom, On Liberty, History of Western Philosophy, Midnights Children, La Nausee, Why Terrorism Works. They are what I have been reading recently

Last edited:
Angela Harlem said:
Please let me know when you have found it and are halfway through it. I would almost guarantee you will love/appreciate this in some way. It's a little like White Oleander in style.

we did have it in our catalogue, and i did order it. it should be here by tuesday. when i looked at the full record of it, it did look like something i would like.

i will keep you posted.

I know this one has been touted here before, but if you haven't read Reading Lolita in Tehran yet, treat yourself. :up:

has anyone ever read this book- ''Class Action: The Landmark Case That Changed Sexual Harassment Law" ?

I saw the new movie North Country last night - this movie was inspired by ths book, w/ some dramatic license

It is directed by the director of Whale Rider, and it's a fantastic, powerful movie. It made me so sad and furious, what these women were subjected to. Sexual harassment is truly evil. If you want to see a movie that will make you think and feel, and maybe differently, see this one

from Roger Ebert

"North Country," which tells her story, is inspired by the life of a real person, Lois Jenson, who filed the first class action lawsuit for sexual harassment in American history.

The filmmakers say Josey Aimes is a character inspired by Jenson's lawsuit but otherwise fictional; the real Jenson is not an Erin Brockovich-style firebrand, and keeps a low profile."

here's a link from the movie's web site where you can do some things to get involved w/ this issue

http://www.participate.net/standup

Last edited:
MrsSpringsteen said:
has anyone ever read this book- ''Class Action: The Landmark Case That Changed Sexual Harassment Law" ?

I saw the new movie North Country last night - this movie was inspired by ths book, w/ some dramatic license

It is directed by the director of Whale Rider, and it's a fantastic, powerful movie. It made me so sad and furious, what these women were subjected to. Sexual harassment is truly evil. If you want to see a movie that will make you think and feel, and maybe differently, see this one

from Roger Ebert

"North Country," which tells her story, is inspired by the life of a real person, Lois Jenson, who filed the first class action lawsuit for sexual harassment in American history.

The filmmakers say Josey Aimes is a character inspired by Jenson's lawsuit but otherwise fictional; the real Jenson is not an Erin Brockovich-style firebrand, and keeps a low profile."

here's a link from the movie's web site where you can do some things to get involved w/ this issue

http://www.participate.net/standup

wow, i had no clue what this movie was about, but i might have to go check it out. thanks, MrsS.

:up:

I'd like to second Sherry's post about "Reading Lolita in Tehran" by Azar Nafisi. I couldn't put it down.

Last edited:
bonosgirl84 said:

hmm, i suppose the only thing i would ever ask someone to look out for would be copies of nabokov's lolita. i am always interested in copies of it with different covers, different publication dates.

You must be my bibliosoulmate :huh: So far, I have just three different covers, inc the annotated one.

foray

I read "Bait and Switch" by Barbara Ehrenreich. It's a follow up to her wonderful book, "Nickel and Dimed." Ms. Ehrenreich goes undercover as a middle management job seeker trying to find something in her field through "career coaching," "networking events" and other soul-crushing exercises. She was just here in Milwaukee for a discussion and I got her autograph and shook her hand. She's one of my heroes.

This is a great thread, I wish I had time to read all these books. :(

Right now I'm reading The Right and the Power by Leon Jaworski...it's a good intro to Watergate for ignorant people like me; I'm really enjoying reading it. There are so many names to remember though; I wish he'd included an index for people like me. :wink:

"Dark Star Safari: Overland from Cairo to Cape Town" by Paul Thereux.

Thereux is a travel writer, he's written some wonderful stuff and a really interesting book about China as well (called "Riding the Iron Rooster").

Definately a good book. Have you read the Mosquito Coast? It's one of my favorites.

Trainspotting -- Irvine Welsh (posits the end of post-colonialism)

All the King's Men -- Robert Penn Warren (how power corrupts and destroys)

Atonement -- Ian McEwen (how only art can atone for the past)

The Corrections -- Jonathan Franzen (the power family holds on the individual)

Lolita -- Vladimir Nabokov (a european discovering america, in a psychosexual sort of way ... actually gets to a lot of the source of trans-Atlantic tensions)

Gravity's Rainbow -- Thomas Pynchon (a text as every bit touched by the hand of God as the Bible)

I Married A Communist/American Pastoral/The Human Stain -- Phillip Roth (a loose trilogy about what might now be considered essential notions of American-ness, and when taken together, they add up to something astouding, hearbreaking ... why, pray tell, wasn't this man given the Nobel this year?!?!?!)

The Remains of the Day -- Kazuo Ishiguro (the sun setting on the British Empire, the rise of the United States)

What's the Matter With Kansas -- Thomas Frank (why people don't vote in their economic best interests)

Love Undetectable -- Andrew Sullivan (gorgeous, often self-indulgent, memoirs of coming out and falling in love in the age of AIDS)

The Great Gatsby -- F. Scott Fitzgerald (here it is, the Great American Novel ... the last paragraph is unsurpassed in all of American literature, and its notions about The American Dream are as relevant today as ever)

goodness ... so many more ...

Last edited:
I just finished Catch-22. Hmm. It was interesting, but I really felt like Kurt Vonnegut does the whole ironic depressive hilarious thing much much better. Still, it's supposed to be a classic....

The Marriages between Zones 3, 4 and 5 Doris Lessing (it's sci-fi fantasy, but so much insight into men and women) and the first book in the same series Shikasta which is hard to read but again so reflective of the world today.
Into the Wild Jon Krakaur Broke my heart
Earthsea Trilogy Ursula LeGuin
Mornings on Horseback (History of Teddy Roosevelt) I think the author is McCullough? He is amazing.
Just above my head James Baldwin
The Moviegoer Walker Percy (sp?)
Vanity Fair Thackery
Memories of a Geisha

and so many more

Angela Harlem said:
One of my all-time favourite books.

'Are you there, God? It's me, Margaret' by Judy Blume. As Margaret adjusts to adolesence, she converses with God. It's brilliantly touching, humourous, and heartwarming. I'm tempted to send this around to people. We should set up an interf book swap where books can be sent around to folk and passed on once they're read.
:hmm:

I read that one when I was a kid, it's brilliant ! :D

The Stranger - Albert Camus
Life is Elsewhere - Milan Kundera
Farewell Waltz - Milan Kundera
The Pursuit Of Happiness - Douglas Kennedy
A Streetcar Named Desire - Tennessee Williams
The Red and the Black - Stendhal
Dubliners - James Joyce

... are some of my favourite books.
BTW, who's read Douglas Kennedy ? He's very famous here but he's said to be unpopular in the US :shrug: I really like his writing and the themes he developes in his novels. :up:

Back
Top Bottom