The FYM Democratic Primary - Page 9 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Which Democratic Presidential candidate are you voting for?
U.S. Sen. Joseph R. "Joe" Biden, Jr. (D-DE) 6 5.77%
U.S. Sen. Hillary R. Clinton (D-NY) 27 25.96%
U.S. Sen. Christopher J. "Chris" Dodd (D-CT) 0 0%
'VP 04 nominee / ex-U.S. Sen. John R. Edwards (D-NC) 9 8.65%
ex-U.S. Sen. Maurice "Mike" Gravel (D-AK) 0 0%
'04 candidate / U.S. Rep. Dennis J. Kucinich (D-OH) 22 21.15%
U.S. Sen. Barack H. Obama (D-IL) 33 31.73%
Gov. William B. "Bill" Richardson (D-NM) 2 1.92%
Other - Write In 5 4.81%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-04-2007, 03:33 PM   #121
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:01 AM
Yes, of course there are waiting lists for elective surgeries or treatment. When my friend had a brain tumor, she got an MRI the following morning, not 4 months later. It is a triage system.

So everyone waits for ELECTIVE procedures, but guess what? Everyone gets everything for free. You have what, 40 million people who get nothing and who knows how many more with shitty insurance who can't afford your speedy treatment anyway. What is it worth to me that I can get an MRI tomorrow afternoon if I can't afford it anyway? It's nothing more than a theoretical benefit.

I've said this before but I'm really, honestly wondering whether it is a uniquely American view to believe that you shouldn't have to wait in line for anything, because certainly everywhere else in the developed world, people wait for elective procedures without screaming that the heavens are falling. So is there some kind of cultural difference that precludes one nation from being able to cope with potential waits? One honestly has to wonder.

Old 12-04-2007, 06:03 PM   #122
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:01 PM
Well, the "waiting" is de facto rationing isn't it? The truth is no country can guarantee access, quality and keep healthcare costs down. There is always going to be a trade-off. Our system provides unequaled quality, rewards innovation/excellence and provides (but does not guarantee) access through high supply...but it is costly. That is our trade-off.

Old 12-04-2007, 06:11 PM   #123
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by INDY500
Our system provides unequaled quality, rewards innovation/excellence and provides (but does not guarantee) access through high supply...but it is costly. That is our trade-off.
And of course this is the rose colored glasses version.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:14 PM   #124
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:01 AM
I wouldn't mind having to wait for an elective procedure. If I can't afford it, what's the point? That's why I want universal health coverage. Unfortunately, I think Kucinich is the only Democrat proposing it.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:18 PM   #125
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
I've said this before but I'm really, honestly wondering whether it is a uniquely American view to believe that you shouldn't have to wait in line for anything, because certainly everywhere else in the developed world, people wait for elective procedures without screaming that the heavens are falling.
I'm not sure how big a problem that is elsewhere in the world-I'd be interested to the answer to that, too. But you are absolutely right that many here in the U.S. have trouble with the concept of patience, and it's kinda troubling. Sure I would like everything I want right now, everyone would, but I know that's not always going to happen. There are times you're just going to have to wait, plain and simple. If it's a dire emergency that needs attention RIGHT NOW or the person will die right then and there, I fully understand the rush, but otherwise, waiting for things is a part of the medical routine sometimes.

I know my family's had to struggle over the years due in part to medical bills for my dad's health issues. Things are better now, but it shouldn't have to cost an arm and a leg just to get treated for things that many people will have to deal with eventually.

Angela
Old 12-04-2007, 06:30 PM   #126
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

And of course this is the rose colored glasses version.
Got mine in an hour or less at the optometrist in the mall.

But, I'm not Canadian.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:52 PM   #127
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

at the optometrist in the mall.

That's the unequaled quality you're talking about?
Old 12-04-2007, 07:01 PM   #128
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 06:01 AM
47 million uninsured and medical bills as the most common cause of personal bankruptcy isn't a "trade-off," it's a crisis. I don't understand how anyone can in conscience rationalize it otherwise.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 12-05-2007, 12:33 AM   #129
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

"The truth is that some people will choose not to buy insurance even though it’s affordable, knowing that the rest of us will pay for their emergency room visits."

--John Edwards
(Hey John, the rest of us also pay for frivolous lawsuits against doctors and drug manufacturers)

Now, under John Edwards, Hillary, Barack, choosing not to buy health insurance will no longer be an option. That's how they keep costs down, by enlarging the pool of those paying into the system while rarely using it. Chiefly the young. (Something to keep in mind "Rock The Vote" voters.) But is that the best way to go, keep building on our current employer based bureaucratic mishmash of fragmented payers -- high in overhead, built around the tax code and already overburdened by government mandates?

And crisis? I don't think there are any faults in our health care system that a little more "free-market" wouldn't correct. Will there always be a role for government, yes. But I'd support any candidate that would scrap our current system and return to consumer-directed health care. Lower costs through competition -- return to "health insurance" being just that, high deductible insurance against remote and financially catastrophic illness or accident, not low deductible "prepaying" for all health expenses.
Just listen to any debate, health insurance and health care have become interchangeable. That's one of the problems.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:46 AM   #130
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

And crisis? I don't think there are any faults in our health care system that a little more "free-market" wouldn't correct. Will there always be a role for government, yes. But I'd support any candidate that would scrap our current system and return to consumer-directed health care. Lower costs through competition -- return to "health insurance" being just that, high deductible insurance against remote and financially catastrophic illness or accident, not low deductible "prepaying" for all health expenses.
Just listen to any debate, health insurance and health care have become interchangeable. That's one of the problems.
Wow, just wow...

What a misunderstanding of our current situation you have. Free market won't change anything. How freer would you like to make this market? And how would it change anything?

And even the profiteers of the medical industry(who will lose the most with social medicine) would tell you consumer-directed medicine is a HORRIBLE idea.

Look around you, we aren't a healthy society. Your idea would be great if we were... And it's not just the poor that are sick, the middle class and wealthy still make up for part of that percentage.

I'm assuming you don't work in the medical industry, am I correct?
Old 12-05-2007, 01:59 AM   #131
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Wow, just wow...
Shall I pull out my cellphone as you play One?

Quote:
consumer-directed medicine is a HORRIBLE idea.
So by inference, government-directed medicine is a GREAT idea? Are you against Capitalism in general, or just in the realm of health care? Really, where in our current health care system have free markets really been tried? The best example is Radial Keratometry and it supports my thesis. No insurance pays for it, so it's all out of pocket. And guess what, not only has it gotten much better over the years (lasers replacing scalpels for instance) but the costs continue to drop. Want another one? Watch how the price of the antihistamine Zyrtec plummets when it goes off prescription next year and becomes available OTC. No longer paid for by insurance. We've seen great advances across the board in medicine, but at a cheaper price? Of coarse not or we wouldn't be discussing our "crisis."

Quote:
Look around you, we aren't a healthy society.
Last time I checked our life expectancy was lengthening, not shortening, but maybe I'm wrong about that.
Quote:
I'm assuming you don't work in the medical industry, am I correct? [/B]
No
Old 12-05-2007, 06:26 AM   #132
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
And crisis? I don't think there are any faults in our health care system that a little more "free-market" wouldn't correct.
Quote:
Originally posted by yolland
47 million uninsured and medical bills as the most common cause of personal bankruptcy isn't a "trade-off," it's a crisis. I don't understand how anyone can in conscience rationalize it otherwise.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:38 AM   #133
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Shall I pull out my cellphone as you play One?
I'm sure somewhere that's funny.

Quote:

Are you against Capitalism in general,
Wow, what a leap of logic. When capitalism gets in the way of people's health, that's where I draw the line. When pharma companies are driving up insurance costs because they spend millions of dollars on stuffed animals and trinkets to market their erection pill, that's where I have a problem.

Quote:

Really, where in our current health care system have free markets really been tried? The best example is Radial Keratometry and it supports my thesis. No insurance pays for it, so it's all out of pocket. And guess what, not only has it gotten much better over the years (lasers replacing scalpels for instance) but the costs continue to drop. Want another one? Watch how the price of the antihistamine Zyrtec plummets when it goes off prescription next year and becomes available OTC. No longer paid for by insurance. We've seen great advances across the board in medicine, but at a cheaper price? Of coarse not or we wouldn't be discussing our "crisis."
I love how you still think 47 million not insured is still not a "crisis".

So you're giving me an example of an elective surgery? Of course insurance doesn't pay for it and prices drop.

Quote:

Last time I checked our life expectancy was lengthening, not shortening, but maybe I'm wrong about that.
Well if that's your only indicator then by all means have at it. You can turn your eye on everything else as long as we're still living the same length of time. Ignore the sky rocketing of Diabetes, obesity, etc... who cares, it's ususally the poor folks anyways.

Quote:

No
So you do work in the medical field? What do you do?
Old 12-05-2007, 10:45 AM   #134
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Got mine in an hour or less at the optometrist in the mall.

But, I'm not Canadian.
Hilarious.

Because you know, we here don't have optometrists at the mall.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:46 PM   #135
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Now, under John Edwards, Hillary, Barack, choosing not to buy health insurance will no longer be an option. That's how they keep costs down, by enlarging the pool of those paying into the system while rarely using it. Chiefly the young. (Something to keep in mind "Rock The Vote" voters.) But is that the best way to go, keep building on our current employer based bureaucratic mishmash of fragmented payers -- high in overhead, built around the tax code and already overburdened by government mandates?
If COBRA costs are any indication, I don't know too many people who have an extra $300+ a month lying around. And that's just for individual health insurance costs.

Of course, our fabled Senators would not understand this, considering that they all make six or more figures a year--and, on top of it, have legislated to themselves the free high quality health care that they want everyone else to pay for.

Quote:
The only true "free market" solution would be to ban health insurance altogether, as health insurance, naturally, artificially inflate the demand curve. That, in turn, should effectively decimate our health care industry as we know it, since nobody can afford anything at all related to health care without insurance (unless you're U.S. Senators raking in five to six figure sums for speaking engagement fees, of course, then it's just pocket change).

Of course, if you're going to substantially reduce the medical industry's income one way or another, you might as well go the path of least resistance and start regulating health care costs like the rest of the industrialized world.