The FYM Democratic Primary - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Which Democratic Presidential candidate are you voting for?
U.S. Sen. Joseph R. "Joe" Biden, Jr. (D-DE) 6 5.77%
U.S. Sen. Hillary R. Clinton (D-NY) 27 25.96%
U.S. Sen. Christopher J. "Chris" Dodd (D-CT) 0 0%
'VP 04 nominee / ex-U.S. Sen. John R. Edwards (D-NC) 9 8.65%
ex-U.S. Sen. Maurice "Mike" Gravel (D-AK) 0 0%
'04 candidate / U.S. Rep. Dennis J. Kucinich (D-OH) 22 21.15%
U.S. Sen. Barack H. Obama (D-IL) 33 31.73%
Gov. William B. "Bill" Richardson (D-NM) 2 1.92%
Other - Write In 5 4.81%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-04-2007, 12:49 PM   #61
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:17 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

This is the problem I have with Kucinich - he takes all the "easy" positions but so often they are completely divorced from reality. This one is a great example. Even universities in Europe, particularly the top schools in the UK, which were historically essentially free can no longer keep up. Research, particularly biomedical, is very expensive, and grants are scarce and not enough to keep the institutes afloat. The best researchers don't want to work in facilities that do not meet their needs. Whether we like it or not, tuition is a major (sometimes the major) source of revenue for a school. That is not to say that charging $40K per year is justifiable. But free college is unreasonable for many reasons, not the least of which is that it will further dilute an already dilute BA. So that's why I wouldn't vote for Kucinich - he makes me feel warm and fuzzy on the inside, but what difference does it make if his ideas are not practicable?
i didn't think grants were all that scarce. most of my current full-time students have grants (the others have assistantships) and most of my friends in the sciences and engineering depts were funded with grants too. and omg have you seen alumni funds? LOADED with goodies.

i don't see free college education for all happening overnight, but i think that all it takes is a reallocation of funds. if this admin found it possible to pour billions of dollars into this war, i'm sure it is possible to invest more in research and education.

Old 11-04-2007, 02:12 PM   #62
Blue Crack Addict

I've been super busy, too busy for FYM, but I just voted for Clinton. I only voted because U2dem said there'd be another poll in 2 months and I am in no way certain about my vote.

Old 11-04-2007, 02:16 PM   #63
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
This is the problem I have with Kucinich - he takes all the "easy" positions but so often they are completely divorced from reality. This one is a great example. Even universities in Europe, particularly the top schools in the UK, which were historically essentially free can no longer keep up. Research, particularly biomedical, is very expensive, and grants are scarce and not enough to keep the institutes afloat. The best researchers don't want to work in facilities that do not meet their needs. Whether we like it or not, tuition is a major (sometimes the major) source of revenue for a school. That is not to say that charging $40K per year is justifiable. But free college is unreasonable for many reasons, not the least of which is that it will further dilute an already dilute BA. So that's why I wouldn't vote for Kucinich - he makes me feel warm and fuzzy on the inside, but what difference does it make if his ideas are not practicable?
A wonderful summary of roughly how I feel about him. He kind of reminds me of the Canadian NDP--a party that many Canadians love as their social conscience, but are loathe to see in charge.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:35 PM   #64
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by unico

i didn't think grants were all that scarce. most of my current full-time students have grants (the others have assistantships) and most of my friends in the sciences and engineering depts were funded with grants too. and omg have you seen alumni funds? LOADED with goodies.
I'm talking about research grants, not graduate students grants. Those are small potatoes, 20ish thousand a year or so - who cares? I'm referring to grants to laboratories to do their work. The flow cytometer, which is just one piece of equipment out of the hundreds we had, cost $500,000. Do you honestly believe that it is easy to get grants to set up R&D operations? Because I'll have to tell you, nothing is farther from the truth. In fact, most of the research labs in universities these days are being largely funded by the private sector, which outsources much of their preliminary stage research to labs. We used to do this all the time - get $400K from some big pharma company to do screening tests for them. They are done cheaply when you have grad students and underpaid technicians working on them. Then they take over the work once you've optimized the conditions. Nobody really wants to do this type of work and nobody really enjoys it but labs can't stay afloat without prostituting themselves for extra cash this way.

Kucinich is really out to pasture on this issue if you ask me. It's a feel good soundbyte - free school for all! but it isn't practicable, it isn't executable, and it will never, EVER happen. So what's the point of taking a position like this other than to get votes by seeming to be ultra-populist? Like melon says, it's equivalent to our NDP here in Canada. Pretty ideas that are unworkable. In some ways, I find it almost dishonest.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:31 AM   #65
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

^Yup.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:42 AM   #66
Babyface

I've been a fan of Edwards since the last election, so I'm pretty sure I'll be backing him.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:36 AM   #67
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:17 AM
Kucinich.

In the general elections, I'd support anyone but Hillary or Gravel. I'd defect off to the Greens if it was one of them.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:15 PM   #68
Refugee

My views are actually closest to the views Kucinich holds, so I'm slightly tempted to vote for him. However, on the other hand, every time I hear the dude speak I get the impression that he's FUCKING CRAZY.

That's why my vote's for Obama at this point. Solid views along with a solid, somewhat honest, non-crazy personality.

PLUS HE'S HALF BLACK!!1
Old 11-10-2007, 10:36 PM   #69
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I'm for Biden although my vote could easily swing to Obama come primary time. Ideally, I'd love an Obama/Biden ticket.

Nobody's voted for Dodd or Gravel eh?
Old 11-12-2007, 11:52 AM   #70
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I'm pulling for the girl
Old 11-12-2007, 06:34 PM   #71
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by AngelofHarlem01
Ideally, I'd love an Obama/Biden ticket.
I'm totally with you on this one. That's probably my dream ticket as of now.

Either that or Obama/Dodd. Chris Dodd really impressed me at the last Democratic debate. Solid guy, though he doesn't have the charisma or foreign policy experience that Biden does.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:51 PM   #72
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:17 AM
Me: Obama and Kucinich
But my ideal ticket is GORE/OBAMA
RUN AL RUN!!!
He is breaking my heart...
Old 11-15-2007, 10:59 PM   #73
Anu
Editor

Location: There ain't no place I'd rather be, baby won't you carry me back to Tennessee
Local Time: 09:17 AM
Please, let's all just vote for Dennis in the primary because he is so smart and eloquent and righteous and all that with a sense of humor (see him on Colbert!).

Then, when Hillarobama Baracklinton goes to the general election, s/he will know that a lot of us are more progressive and peaceful than her centrist advisors tell her to be.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:00 PM   #74
Anu
Editor

Location: There ain't no place I'd rather be, baby won't you carry me back to Tennessee
Local Time: 09:17 AM
Dennis has been so great in the debates, but I was impressed also with Richardson tonight.

And I hate Hillary just a little bit less because she can work it. She is smart and charismatic even if she is a femme version of Bush on the war issue.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:03 PM   #75
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally posted by Anu
And I hate Hillary just a little bit less because she can work it. She is smart and charismatic even if she is a femme version of Bush on the war issue.
. I don't agree with her on everything, but I like how she just comes out and says what's on her mind.

Angela