The FYM Democratic Primary

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which Democratic Presidential candidate are you voting for?

• U.S. Sen. Joseph R. "Joe" Biden, Jr. (D-DE)

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • U.S. Sen. Hillary R. Clinton (D-NY)

Votes: 27 26.0%
  • U.S. Sen. Christopher J. "Chris" Dodd (D-CT)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 'VP 04 nominee / ex-U.S. Sen. John R. Edwards (D-NC)

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • ex-U.S. Sen. Maurice "Mike" Gravel (D-AK)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • '04 candidate / U.S. Rep. Dennis J. Kucinich (D-OH)

Votes: 22 21.2%
  • U.S. Sen. Barack H. Obama (D-IL)

Votes: 33 31.7%
  • Gov. William B. "Bill" Richardson (D-NM)

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Other - Write In

Votes: 5 4.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I voted for Biden in this poll, because I like him the most, I think he's the most experienced candidate on either side and he makes the most sense. He's also a born diplomat, great speaker and could assemble a very strong cabinet, perhaps of both Dems and Reps. I think Hillary is inevitable though, she'll win the general election as well.

I also like Hillary Clinton, I'm not gung-ho about her socialized health-care plan but I could be convinced if I read more into it.

I appreciate the fact that both of them haven't begun to root for failure in Iraq for political gain like most the rest of this bunch.

Most of the Republican field is just terrible.
That said, if I were a Christian conservative, I'd vote for Mike Huckabee in a heartbeat. And if I were a true libertarian, I'd vote for Ron Paul in a heartbeat.

I'm more like a disenfranchised hawkish JFK Democrat with a civil libertarian streak. I loathe both parties and their selling out to special interests but I haven't found a 3rd or 4th or 5th party worth a damn. It's all 3 great ideas and 10 crap ones, etc.
The Dems at least understand that there is a 'gray' side of almost all issues. Unfortunately that means that there isn't many ideas, just an acknowledgement of what's going wrong.

Better to recognize a fuck up with no ideas than to have bad ideas and be convinced they are divinely inspired.

diamond said:
All you had to do was watch the last debate.
Props to Dodd and Edwards.

dbs

The last debate was a joke. It wasn't even a debate, it was "I'm not Hillary because: ..." It's as if its sole purpose was to try and eliminate Hillary's lead, which is fine and might make the race more interesting, but a well-rounded debate on the issues it certainly wasn't.

Right now I think Obama shows the most promise, but I do have a lot of respect for Kucinich.

This really is the election right here, because there's not a chance in hell that a Republican wins this election.

phillyfan26 said:
This really is the election right here, because there's not a chance in hell that a Republican wins this election.

uhhh....

If you and all the Democratic candidates maintain that mindset, I fully believe you're going to be shocked come election day.

Of course you do, because you're conservative.

And I'm sure liberals are confident as well for their side.

I'm independent. In 2004, I said that the Dems would lose because Kerry was a weak candidate.

This time around, all of the Republicans look like Kerry-weak or worse.

I hope with every day that Al Gore changes his mind and enters the race. He is my first choice. I really think all he has to do to get the nomination is say 'I'm in'.

I think he would be the best president out of the bunch here. And I would love to see him get vindication. I would love to see him get back what was so unjustly taken from him seven long years ago.

But maybe he's just not interested anymore.

In which case...I haven't made up my mind between Hilary and Obama yet.

phillyfan26 said:

I'm independent. In 2004, I said that the Dems would lose because Kerry was a weak candidate.

This time around, all of the Republicans look like Kerry-weak or worse.

Unfortunately, you're right. Giuliani is about par with Kerry, but the rest fall short. Then again, the entire Republican party will be shot until the Dems screw everything up, and no amount of charm can swing that. I can't blame the populous for changing their allegiances after Bush, but it is sort of a shame.

Bring on Hilary in '09, I suppose. :grumpy:

I voted for Kucinich, however if I don't think he has any chance of making it, I'll probably switch to Clinton.

I'm surprised Kucinich is doing so well on this poll. All the Americans I've spoken to offline don't have a clue who he is - including one who was a tutor for a course on US politics at university! Has his popularity grown recently, or is this just FYM being weird?

Axver said:
Has his popularity grown recently, or is this just FYM being weird?

The latter. Somehow, it looks like he has an impressive fanbase here, even though in the polls I've never seen him above 2%.

I haven't seen Ron Paul poll more than 4% nationally either, yet he's currently pulling an even higher percentage in the 'FYM Republican primary' than Kucinich is in this one.

I think it's true that FYMers in general aren't the most reliable representatives of the 'average American' generally affiliated with their party...on the other hand it's also true that FYMers in general are more politically aware than the 'average American' (for example, the conservatives in here all know who Kucinich is and the liberals all know who Paul is, neither of which is particularly typical) and that probably also has some effect.

2861U2 said:

The latter. Somehow, it looks like he has an impressive fanbase here, even though in the polls I've never seen him above 2%.

I'm so proud of U2 fans! This is yet another indicator that we dig a little deeper in our politics. I will be voting for Clinton and indicated it on the poll, but I'm glad Kucinich is represented so well. He's a great politician.

yolland said:
I haven't seen Ron Paul poll more than 4% nationally either, yet he's currently pulling an even higher percentage in the 'FYM Republican primary' than Kucinich is in this one.

From my outside perspective, I'm a bit less surprised by Ron Paul's strong showing than Kucinich's. I've seen Ron Paul on Australian television news multiple times (I can think of 3 or 4 off the top of my head), and it's probably safe to say someone's making at least some waves within the US as a presidential candidate if they're showing up on foreign news. In contrast, I can't recall a single instance of Kucinich on Aussie television news, not even on SBS. Admittedly, though, I've been busy the last month and haven't caught the news every night, hence my previous post asking whether his profile has suddenly risen.

Kucinich! He's the only politician that I've seen his platform, and agree strongly with the majority of it!

* Creating a single-payer system of universal health care that provides full coverage for all Americans by passage of the United States National Health Insurance Act.

FULL COVERAGE. the health care system in america is abomidable!

* The immediate, phased withdrawal of all U.S. forces from Iraq; replacing them with an international security force.

THANK YOU. But please not replacing them with blackwater.

* Guaranteed quality education for all; including free pre-kindergarten and college for all who want it.

FREE COLLEGE? thank you. great idea Free education for everyone!

* Immediate withdrawal from the World Trade Organization (WTO) and North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA).

I'm not that 'up' on the issue, but a few people i've spoken to seem to think this is a necessary idea

* Repealing the USA PATRIOT Act.

HELLZ YEAH! Stupid fucking bill

* Fostering a world of international cooperation.

I like i like... making america a little more approachable and humble...

* Abolishing the death penalty.

FIVE STARS!!!!!!! PLEASE PLEASE ELECT THIS MAN!

* Environmental renewal and clean energy.

mmmhmmm, thats what im talking about!

* Preventing the privatization of social security.

DAMN STRAIGHT! Look how fucked the privatisation of the health system went!

* Providing full social security benefits at age 65.

Hello, welcome to the normal world, when this should happen.

* Creating a cabinet-level "Department of Peace"

sounds good :wink:

* Ratifying the ABM Treaty and the Kyoto Protocol.

Sign it and maybe Jonny Howard will do the same (Or Rudd! *fingers crossed*)

* Introducing reforms to bring about instant-runoff voting.

sounds interesting...

* Protecting a woman's right to choose while decreasing the number of abortions performed in the U.S.

THANK YOU!!!! Exactly correct!

* Ending the war on drugs.

mmhmmm! Do it!

* Legalizing same-sex marriage.

WHAT? A person who can see the love and not the sex? For president? Got my vote!

* Creating a balance between workers and corporations.

sounds good!

* Ending the H1B and L1 Visa Programs

not sure what these are?

* Restoring rural communities and family farms.

Helping out the little guys, i like it.

* Strengthening gun control.

THATS MAH MAN!!!! Two words I love to hear 'Gun control'

Damn, i wanna move to america and work on his campaign! I wanna MARRY HIM :X

oh and he opposed the Iran Freedom and Support Act. What a fucking bullshit piece of CRAP that was.

!0 million dollars to support anti iran groups, but a poor student who breaks his leg has to walk with a cane for the rest of his life bwcause he can't afford the medical bills.

Now i know a lot of politicians are full of promises and hope, and sometimes it all falls to shit, but i just can't DEAL with another 4 years of republicians. The last 7 years have been absolutely shit watching all this shit go down. ITs time for a change!

Ron Paul attracts various nuts (Stormfront, Hutton Gibson, Poll Spammers) but he has the right ideas about civil liberties (including the second amendment).

I'm not 100% agreed with Kucinich's politics, but he has all of the things I actually care about (namely, illegal immigration and the Iraq War) figured out. I would take this man over Hilary or Obama in a heartbeat.

dazzlingamy said:
Now i know a lot of politicians are full of promises and hope, and sometimes it all falls to shit, but i just can't DEAL with another 4 years of republicians. The last 7 years have been absolutely shit watching all this shit go down. ITs time for a change!

Too. True. I couldn't agree more.

Free college, eh :hmm:...? I can go with that, yeah. Go, Kucinich.

Angela

A_Wanderer said:
Ron Paul attracts various nuts (Stormfront, Hutton Gibson, Poll Spammers) but he has the right ideas about civil liberties (including the second amendment).

Yeah, but he thinks his government should interfere with my reproductive rights, and he supports limiting marriage based on gender. How libertarian is that?

Moonlit_Angel said:
Free college, eh :hmm:...? I can go with that, yeah. Go, Kucinich.

This is the problem I have with Kucinich - he takes all the "easy" positions but so often they are completely divorced from reality. This one is a great example. Even universities in Europe, particularly the top schools in the UK, which were historically essentially free can no longer keep up. Research, particularly biomedical, is very expensive, and grants are scarce and not enough to keep the institutes afloat. The best researchers don't want to work in facilities that do not meet their needs. Whether we like it or not, tuition is a major (sometimes the major) source of revenue for a school. That is not to say that charging $40K per year is justifiable. But free college is unreasonable for many reasons, not the least of which is that it will further dilute an already dilute BA. So that's why I wouldn't vote for Kucinich - he makes me feel warm and fuzzy on the inside, but what difference does it make if his ideas are not practicable?

martha said:

Yeah, but he thinks his government should interfere with my reproductive rights, and he supports limiting marriage based on gender. How libertarian is that?
I think that personal bias and positions regarding state versus federal are at the core of those.

anitram said:

This is the problem I have with Kucinich - he takes all the "easy" positions but so often they are completely divorced from reality. So that's why I wouldn't vote for Kucinich - he makes me feel warm and fuzzy on the inside, but what difference does it make if his ideas are not practicable?

This is exactly why I can't support him. Sure I agree with him on 98% of the issues (according to a survey) but with politics there's got to be some realism thrown in there.

Sure a politician can present lofty goals, hopes and dreams, but part of that needs to be grounded in reality.

Back
Top Bottom