The FYM Challenge - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2003, 06:32 PM   #1
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:07 AM
The FYM Challenge

As a moderator, I read FYM pretty often (maybe even more than I'd like), and I'm noticing that as of late, almost every new topic has to do with George W. Bush and/or Iraq. Now, this is a damn important issue, as I'm sure you all know. But, to paraphrase a favorite poster of mine: "Every time someone posts a new topic about Iraq, an FYM moderator gets a migraine. Please, think of the Poptarts."

So, I am issuing to all of you The FYM Challenge. The rules are simple. To post in THIS thread, your post must:

--be informative in nature
--be polite and non-random (yes, this means you, deathy)
--NOT deal with Iraq or George W. Bush
--preferably deal with an issue that sees little exposure in FYM (or anywhere else for that matter)

Topics might include: non-Iraq related foriegn policy issues; commentary on governments other than American, Western European, or Australian; social issues that don't get a lot of press; up-and-coming environmental topics; topics about anthropology or sociobiology...the list goes on and on.

I have a vision of this thread becoming a sort of catch-all thread for overlooked issues, from which individual threads for overlooked issues can spring.

So. Let's see what y'all can come up with.

Join Amnesty.
Old 01-28-2003, 06:36 PM   #2
ONE<br>love, blood, life

Location: Lookin' for the face I had before the world was made
:waves: I don't post in here very much (cept for lately)

We started this discussion in the peace thread... and then moved it to it's own thread where it promptly died... but I'd still like to hear people's opinions on the matter of instincts, do humans have them or not?

http://forum2.interference.com/showt...threadid=71368

Did I do good, paxe?

Old 01-28-2003, 09:24 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 10:07 PM

The fact that slavery still exists in Sudan today disturbs me.

~U2Alabama
Old 01-28-2003, 09:27 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I do not think that they should drill for petroleum or natural gas in the Eastern Gulf of Mexico region (the designated sector beginning 5 miles west of the Alabama/Florida state line and extending to the Florida Keys).

~U2Alabama
Old 01-28-2003, 09:30 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:07 PM
I am concerned about cloning in general. New Zealand is cloning cows that produce milk that is different from other cow's milk. It is easier to turn into cheese. This is disturbing to me.

Hi Bama...good to see you. I am heading back to my sebatical.

GMO milk to cut cheese making costs?

28/01/03 - News to delight dairy manufacturers and dismay opponents to genetically modified foods arrived this week with publication of a new study that reveals protein-rich milk from not only cloned but also genetically modified cows could cut cheese-making costs. The cloned cattle carry extra copies of the genes for two types of the protein casein, key for cheese and yoghurt manufacturers.

Researchers at the biotech company AgResearch in New Zealand set out to enhance milk composition and milk processing efficiency by increasing the -casein and k-casein concentration in milk.
Scientists, led by study leader Gtz Laible, introduced additional copies of the genes encoding bovine - and k-casein (CSN2 and CSN3 respectively) into female dairy cows. The researchers then transferred the nucleus into unfertilised cow eggs. Of the 126 modified embryos, 11 cows survived until after weaning.

The results showed that nine cows produced milk with an eight to 20 per cent increase in casein, leading the scientists to suggest that such modification could have a very real impact on the functional properties of dairy milk.

Controversial at the best of times, milk from genetically modified cloned cows is certain to stir up a vociferous opposition. While most scientists believe that milk from cloned cows is no different to normal milk, they are less certain about the safety of milk from genetically modified cows. The team in New Zealand did stress the need for further testing in order to establish the safety of the milk.
Old 01-28-2003, 09:31 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Save the Choctawhatchee Beach Mouse.

~U2Alabama
Old 01-28-2003, 11:07 PM   #7
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

I'm all for saving that thing. It's sooooo cute.

Join Amnesty.
Old 01-28-2003, 11:37 PM   #8
Jesus Online

Local Time: 03:07 PM
Fantastic idea Pax! Hopefully the enthusiasm will spill out of here too, so we can keep a balance of topics. Bush and Iraq have their place, but variety is good.

--------------------

Why wont John Howard (the Australian Prime Minister) say sorry?
'Sorry' is a keyword in Australia's reconciliation process with the indigenous Australians, the Aboriginals. He refuses to utter this one word, and they are pushing for a public acknowledgement and ownership of past troubles and thus an apology. He simply won't do it. Why? Well, I guess only Mr Howard knows that one for certain. The political side to his stance we can speculate on.
There are many facets to the debate, and it seems this country is divided on pretty much all of them. I wonder at the focus on the word 'sorry'. Aboriginal Australia wants an apology, and that is fine, who am I to argue after all? So who should do the apologising? Our current government? I love the stunning silence from England on the whole issue. It would be so easy to just simply draw in your breath and say, "On behalf of all Australians, we/I am sorry". It sure would go a long way.
Sometmies I try to work out what exactly it will take for all of us here to co-exist and live as one harmonious multicultural and multiracial nation. The lack of respect and willingness to work together is disheartening.
We got a long way to go it seems.
Old 01-29-2003, 12:21 AM   #9
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
I am concerned about cloning in general. New Zealand is cloning cows that produce milk that is different from other cow's milk. It is easier to turn into cheese. This is disturbing to me.

i agree wholeheartedly.

cloning animals is downright disturbing. humans, thats a different story...

i like this thread.
so shes taking lots of vitamins
cause she knows that
it be tragic
if those evil robots win
Old 01-29-2003, 01:51 AM   #10
Ghost of Love

Local Time: 11:07 PM
Domestic crimes

I'm seriously disheartened by what I perceive as a rise in domestic crimes.

I'm not talking about simple domestic assault, though what I am referring to is in all likelihood intrinsically linked to assaults.

I'm talking about parents killing their children, children killing their parents, siblings killing one another.

There is so much shit going on in the world that you'd think that at a minimum you'd be able to turn to your own flesh and blood for safety and support.

What's hard for me is that I can't even say if my own brothers, sisters or even parents would one day turn on me and do me harm or not.

It's pretty sad, really.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~october/images/sheeep.jpg

Don't push this button:

I'm serious, don't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyagu_Anaykus View Post
Interference is my Earth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvox View Post
Consequently, Earth is an experimental disaster.

If you keep going, you have only your self to blame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Interferencer On The Damn Planet View Post
Edge:
too sexy for his amp
too sexy for his cap
too sexy for that god-damned headset
I told you

Old 01-29-2003, 02:47 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 02:07 PM
Angie, I believe that the reason why Howard won't say sorry (and, I suspect nor will his coalition successors) is that he, frankly, isn't. Might makes right and all that.

I am personally ambivalent about it all these days, as I sense that all these issues: saying 'sorry', a republic, etc etc are now no more than political footballs. Make no mistake, there's a culture war going on out there. And Paddy McGuinness is the bovver boy, among others. Howard gets to look statesmanlike by not entering the fray.
Old 01-29-2003, 03:00 AM   #12
Jesus Online

You're probaby right K. Needless to say, this should be Johnny's last term and I dont see Crean winning the next election somehow. Its the same old issues over and over and they end up at the same standstill.
Old 01-29-2003, 07:47 AM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Crean himself is somewhat of a loser. but there are a ton of issues that a loyal opposition could and should be tackling. If Labor had guts they would win in a landslide. As it is I expect a Costello government to probably limp back into office with some kind of smaller majority.
Old 01-29-2003, 07:48 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Of course, if Costello is Keating to Howard's Hawkie, then you know where the story goes.
Old 01-29-2003, 08:06 AM   #15
Jesus Online

Joy Joy. I fear we have killed this thread with Aussie politics. Not even we seem enthusiastic on the topic.