The Fracturing of a Party... - Page 9 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2008, 05:12 PM   #121
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:05 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Strongbow

Has Crist specifically said he would not accept being on the ticket?

Crist is gay.

Old 02-08-2008, 05:13 PM   #122
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:05 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

Crist is gay.
Excuse my ignorance, but who exactly is Crist?

Old 02-08-2008, 05:16 PM   #123
Refugee

Local Time: 10:05 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by toscano
Maybe, but the "real conservatives" would rather not vote than vote for McCain (see Rush Limbaugh, James Dobson, etc) .

I guess they'd rather hand over the Presidency (and therefore any nominations for Supreme court) to the Dems rather than vote for McCain. Oh well, just shows again how stupid they are.
Since i'm a real conservative, I can answer this perfectly. If McCain wins, and say Clinton wins for the Democrats, I would have a tougher time choosing who to vote for. I think the neo-cons are going to regret losing Ron Paul supporters to the Democratic nominee.

Oh and Limbaugh and Dobson are NOT real conservatives.
Old 02-08-2008, 05:24 PM   #124
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 06:05 AM
Charlie Crist is the governor of Florida.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 02-08-2008, 05:25 PM   #125
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by yolland
Charlie Crist is the governor of Florida.
Thank you! I knew the name sounded somewhat familiar, but I couldn't place it. I also couldn't put a first name with it.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:22 PM   #126
Refugee

Local Time: 05:05 AM
Quote:

Crist is gay.
Your evidence on that would be?
Old 02-08-2008, 07:43 PM   #127
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 06:05 AM
There's been a lot of ink spilled in the Florida press on that question...Orlando Sentinel, Palm Beach Times, etc.--do a Google search and you'll find plenty. Crist himself denies it, but if you're talking a Republican Vice Presidential candidacy, the paper trail of rumors plus his longterm bachelorhood and pro-civil-unions stance would be a real liability for his running mate's campaign.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 02-08-2008, 07:48 PM   #128
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
There's been a lot of ink spilled in the Florida press on that question...Orlando Sentinel, Palm Beach Times, etc.--do a Google search and you'll find plenty. Crist himself denies it, but if you're talking a Republican Vice Presidential candidacy, the paper trail of rumors plus his longterm bachelorhood and pro-civil-unions stance would be a real liability for his running mate's campaign.
I don't know much about these rumors themselves other than what you've just posted, but yes, if McCain wants the slightest chance of winning over the conservative evangelical base picking a pro-gay rights, possibly gay, running mate would be political suicide.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:55 PM   #129
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

conveniently, he's stood by Florida's medieval adoption laws, as if that's some sort of innoculation.

he's what's known as an "Auntie Tom."

or just another toe-tapping self-hater.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:16 PM   #130
Refugee

Quote:
So if your rumored to be gay, are a longterm bachelor, and are pro-civil-unions, that means your gay?
Old 02-08-2008, 08:18 PM   #131
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

So if your rumored to be gay, are a longterm bachelor, and are pro-civil-unions, that means your gay?
Where did yolland say that? She was simply pointing out the evidence other people have given who have come to that conclusion.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:24 PM   #132
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

honey, if the papers are writing about it, do you not think that this is going to be a HUGE liability as a running mate?

the Republican party has made hatred of gay people front-and-center in it's social policies. the only reason Bush is in office is because of the gay bashing amendments on the ballot in Ohio and the outstanding work done by the Republican ground operatives in SE Ohio.

McCain is already loathed by the base of his own party. and that's to his credit.

do you really think he's going to risk his conservative "credentials" by putting a gay man on the ticket?

do some research on the topic. he's as credibly gay as any Republican who hasn't outed himself with bad behavior.

and nothing changes the fact that this is a 50 year old bachelor. he's never been married. that screams GAY to your party.

i'm sorry you people have shot yourselves in the foot over this and are on the wrong side of history. sure, it won you the 2004 election, but you've lost the war on this particular issue. and you're going to be no different than the people who became Republicans after the Civil Rights Act passed because they hate black people.

i'm sorry you're such an ardent supporter of a party who's social policies are based on fear, ignorance, hatred, and suspicion, but that seems to be the situation.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:51 PM   #133
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:05 PM
Quote:

Did anyone say this? It doesn't matter at this point if he is or isn't, if you are even rumored gay you are poison in the Republican party...

Maybe I should have called this thread fractured from reality.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:08 PM   #134
Blue Crack Addict

They'll find a snappy name for him, like Governor BendOver or something of the sort and run with it.

No way in hell is that guy going to be VP.

Huckabee FTW!!
Old 02-08-2008, 11:03 PM   #135
Refugee

Quote:

honey, if the papers are writing about it, do you not think that this is going to be a HUGE liability as a running mate?

about as much as of a liability as it was in 2006 when:

Charlie Crist 52.18%

Jim Davis 45.11%

in the 2006 Gubernatorial election in Florida. Only 8 counties in Florida failed to vote for Charlie Crist, 3 of them in the south. If you can win in a state like Florida especially 30 counties across northern Florida which is in the Bible Belt, I think the rumor is not the liability you claim it to be.

Quote:
the Republican party has made hatred of gay people front-and-center in it's social policies. the only reason Bush is in office is because of the gay bashing amendments on the ballot in Ohio and the outstanding work done by the Republican ground operatives in SE Ohio.
Quote:
i'm sorry you people have shot yourselves in the foot over this and are on the wrong side of history. sure, it won you the 2004 election, but you've lost the war on this particular issue. and you're going to be no different than the people who became Republicans after the Civil Rights Act passed because they hate black people.
This is what Democrats say to console themselves after their defeat in 2004. Most people don't care and most Republicans actually working to get people to the voting both didn't engage in such activities. Yes, some exit polling may indicate it may have been important to them, but the same exit polling suggested John Kerry was going to win the election.

There is nothing that tells you precisely who each of the 2,859,768 who voted for Bush in Ohio are in terms of their religion, nor anything that tells why each person came out to vote, or whether they would have stayed home if the ammendment was not on the ballot.

Quote:
do some research on the topic. he's as credibly gay as any Republican who hasn't outed himself with bad behavior.
Quote:
and nothing changes the fact that this is a 50 year old bachelor. he's never been married. that screams GAY to your party.
It did not scream Gay to most of Florida's section of the Bible Belt. But it does seem to scream gay to people in this forum. Interesting.