The Fracturing of a Party...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
anitram said:
Anybody who says we need to amend the Constitution to bring it in line with the Bible has a few screws loose in my opinion. It's outrageous to even suggest.

But on to funnier things...

Glenn Beck just hung up on Huckabee! He first flipped out when he had him on the phone, accusing him of being an unelectable spoiler for Romney, then he just had enough of him and hung up.

Hilarious!

Wow. He is a consummate professional. Journalism at its finest; Edward R. Murrow would be proud.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

You don't think ammending the constitution to be more like the Bible is whacky?:huh:

Forgive me for not being terribly well-read but, though I've always known he was an evangelical plaything, I've never heard him proclaim those intentions. :reject: Quote?

“[Some of my opponents] do not want to change the Constitution, but I believe it’s a lot easier to change the Constitution than it would be to change the word of the living God, and that’s what we need to do is to amend the Constitution so it’s in God’s standards rather than try to change God’s standards,” Huckabee said.

LemonMelon said:

Forgive me for not being terribly well-read but, though I've always known he was an evangelical plaything, I've never heard him proclaim those intentions. :reject: Quote?

"I believe it's a lot easier to change the constitution than it would be to change the word of the living God, and that's what we need to do is to amend the Constitution so it's in God's standards rather than try to change God's standards."

kellyahern said:
So if Colbert made Huckabee, and Conan made Colbert, and Stewart made Conan, and Beck hung up on Huckabee . . .

Then Chuck Norris will kick Beck?

phillyfan26 said:

"I believe it's a lot easier to change the constitution than it would be to change the word of the living God, and that's what we need to do is to amend the Constitution so it's in God's standards rather than try to change God's standards."

Thanks. Yep, that's pretty crazy, and certainly not the way to unite the voters.

But hey, countless conservatives have had those same intentions over the years. I'll give him credit for at least saying it outright. :wink:

LemonMelon said:

Thanks. Yep, that's pretty crazy, and certainly not the way to unite the voters.

But hey, countless conservatives have had those same intentions over the years. I'll give him credit for at least saying it outright. :wink:

So will I. :hi5:

U2isthebest said:

I did, and I don't disagree with the basic points of it. I was commenting more on the beliefs of your Republican friends who say they want more personal freedom yet often stand for taking them away, i.e. my original response to you. Sorry! I should've been more clear!

No problem,

Thanks for making it clear U2isthebest.
I guess I could have read your reply more clearly also.

And Oh!
My Republican friends....
I don't know what to say.

the iron horse said:

No problem,

Thanks for making it clear U2isthebest.
I guess I could have read your reply more clearly also.

And Oh!
My Republican friends....
I don't know what to say.

That's ok. You're certainly not responsible for their choices.:hug: I was just venting a frusturation.:)

kellyahern said:
So if Colbert made Huckabee, and Conan made Colbert, and Stewart made Conan, and Beck hung up on Huckabee . . .

For some odd and terrible reason NBC is not longer available through Veoh, and as a non-American I can't watch NBC's content on their side, and now I'm living without Conan O'Brien for weeks. :( :sad: :angry: :mad: :terriblebreakdown:

I only came to Conan made Chuck, and Chuck made Huck, and so Conan made Huck, but Colbert claiming to having made Huck as well, with Conan responding that he made Colbert, which in turn would mean he made both Colbert and Huck, but then they cancelled NBC from Veoh. :sad:

Vincent Vega said:

I only came to Conan made Chuck, and Chuck made Huck, and so Conan made Huck, but Colbert claiming to having made Huck as well, with Conan responding that he made Colbert, which in turn would mean he made both Colbert and Huck, but then they cancelled NBC from Veoh. :sad:

What the hell are you guys talking about? Do I need to start watching TV?

Stewart, guesting on the Report, played a clip from his old MTV show in which he had Conan as a guest.

So, it became:

Colbert made Huckabee, Conan made Colbert, Stewart made Conan

martha said:

What the hell are you guys talking about? Do I need to start watching TV?

Conan claimed he made Huckabee by making Chuck Norris, because he used to reference Walker, Texas Ranger regularly on his show.

Colbert claimed he made Huckabee by giving him a fist bump.

Conan countered by "attacking" Colbert, and then saying he made Colbert by mentioning him on his "high powered network show."

Colbert then had Jon Stewart on his show, who played the clip I mentioned in my last post, of him having Conan on his old show.

So, it became:

Colbert made Huckabee, Conan made Colbert, Stewart made Conan ... thus, Stewart made Huckabee

BonoVoxSupastar said:

And Chris Matthews has a record for sticking his foot in his mouth...

Can't disagree with you there. This is the same guy who said if you don't cry during an Obama speech, you're not an American.

Honestly one of the stupidest things I've ever heard in my life.

Vincent Vega said:

For some odd and terrible reason NBC is not longer available through Veoh, and as a non-American I can't watch NBC's content on their side, and now I'm living without Conan O'Brien for weeks. :( :sad: :angry: :mad: :terriblebreakdown:

http://www.nbc.com/Late_Night_with_Conan_O'Brien/video/index.shtml#mea=213670

phillyfan26 said:

Conan claimed he made Huckabee by making Chuck Norris, because he used to reference Walker, Texas Ranger regularly on his show.

Conan countered by "attacking" Colbert, and then saying he made Colbert by mentioning him on his "high powered network show."

Colbert then had Jon Stewart on his show, who played the clip I mentioned in my last post, of him having Conan on his old show.

So, it became:

Colbert made Huckabee, Conan made Colbert, Stewart made Conan ... thus, Stewart made Huckabee

Sounds like he made a very solid case there.

2861U2 said:

Can't disagree with you there. This is the same guy who said if you don't cry during an Obama speech, you're not an American.

erm, we have quotes in here about bringing the Constitution to be more in line with the Bible, and you think an offhand (and, yes, hyperbolic) pundit's remark after a stirring speech is "the stupidest thing I've ever heard in my life"?

Irvine511 said:

erm, we have quotes in here about bringing the Constitution to be more in line with the Bible, and you think an offhand (and, yes, hyperbolic) pundit's remark after a stirring speech is "the stupidest thing I've ever heard in my life"?

Yes. I do. And I certainly hope you agree it was a ridiculous thing to say.

2861U2 said:

It was incorrect, offhand, and hyperbolic.

It doesn't touch Huckabee.

2861U2 said:

it's far more ridiculous to say that the Constitution should change because the word of the Living God doesn't.

i think it was hyperbole. Matthews is a Dem, but he's far less liberal than you'd like to think.

no, i don't think it was a ridiculous thing to say. what Matthews was talking about was that Obama has become more of a movement than a man because he talks about hope and unity and tries to go beyond simplistic binary oppositions -- man/woman, black/white, christian/muslim, straight/gay -- and tries to engage everyone as being an important part of the whole. in his widely acclaimed, now historic 2004 convention speech he talked about coaching little league in blue states and having gay neighbors in red states.

this is what he's been about, this is why he's popular, and this is what inspired a pundit to fly off the handle a bit after listening to easily the best orator of the past 20 years.

Obama is proving me wrong with his broader support.
I now think he can beat McCain.

In other words, the Reps are doomed either way.
It won't be a blow-out but they just don't have the fire.

They'll cook up some social issue to try and motivate the crazies.

2861U2 said:

"If you're actually in the room when he gives one of his speeches, and you don't cry, you're not an American."

Chris Matthews is actively pulling for Obama, there's no secret.

He also said:

"Let's not forget -- and I'll be brutal -- the reason she's a U.S. senator, the reason she's a candidate for president, the reason she may be a front-runner is her husband messed around. That's how she got to be senator from New York. We keep forgetting it.

She didn't win there on her merit. She won because everybody felt, "My God, this woman stood up under humiliation," right? That's what happened."

......then on Leno he sounded like he was about to jerk off

"I’ve been following politics since I was about 5,” said Mr. Matthews. “I’ve never seen anything like this. This is bigger than Kennedy. [Obama] comes along, and he seems to have the answers. This is the New Testament. This is surprising.”

“I really think there’s a Salieri-Mozart thing going on here,” said Mr. Matthews. “Salieri was the court composer who did everything right. He was impressive. Along comes Mozart. And everybody couldn’t get the music out of their heads. Hillary is really good at doing what she is supposed to do. She’s impressive. He’s inspirational. That’s the difference. One’s the court composer. And one is the genius. There’s something he does. I don’t know what. Oprah said it. It’s not that he’s black. It’s that he’s brilliant.”

or

"They're cool people. They are really cool. They are Jack and Jackie Kennedy when you see them together. They are cool. And they're great-looking, and they're cool and they're young, and they're -- everything seems to be great. I know I'm selling them now....But the fact is, I wouldn't be an honest reporter if I didn't tell you what the spiritual experience is like of being in a Barack Obama rally."

He's more effusive than the people who work for Obama

it went on a little longer than that too. He compared the Rep candidates to Shias, Sunnis and Kurds etc.

Last edited:
Huckabee doesn't beleive in evolution.

That's a disqualifier if there ever were one, Christian, Jew, Atheist, whatever.

Refusing science=worst possible

about BVS point.....

I don't think they could seperate and be viable, what I could see is the whole party itself moving to the middle.

I think the Dems are trying to head that way.

If anything, I really believe (maybe I'm dreaming) that the vast majority of Americans, whatever political stripe they are, are moving away from the extreme arguments and towards the sanity of the middle. I'm sorry if that puts some of you off, but we can lose the Coulters and MoveOn org's of the world and be much much better off for it.

phillyfan26 said:

So, it became:

Thank you.

I think.

2861U2 said:

:| You've got to be kidding me...

Back
Top Bottom