The Fracturing of a Party... - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-06-2008, 06:17 PM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
2861U2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: watching the Cubs
Posts: 4,249
Local Time: 11:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram


Oh please.

The polls show that more than 70% of Democrats would be happy EITHER way.

Hey, I didn't say I necessarily fully believed in that theory. It was just interesting.

I heard that stat last night, too. Is 70% really that good? Slightly more than 2/3? It doesn't seem that great to me.
__________________

__________________
2861U2 is offline  
Old 02-06-2008, 06:17 PM   #32
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,789
Local Time: 08:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

The polls show that more than 70% of Democrats would be happy EITHER way.

And do you honestly believe that after 8 horrific years under Bush, anyone but the staunchest Republican is eager to repeat that clusterfuck?
That sums up the recent fall of the GOP quite nicely. There are too many candidates, the voters are divided, and besides, people are scared of the word "conservative" now thanks to Bush's incompetence.

This wasn't all that difficult to predict.
__________________

__________________
LemonMelon is online now  
Old 02-06-2008, 06:18 PM   #33
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 11:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by 2861U2


Hey, I didn't say I necessarily fully believed in that theory. It was just interesting.

I heard that stat last night, too. Is 70% really that good? Slightly more than 2/3? It doesn't seem that great to me.
The GOP numbers are probably much worse.
__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 02-06-2008, 06:18 PM   #34
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,641
Local Time: 10:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMelon


Not if he starts pandering to the right.

Which...uhh...he's been doing for ages now.
He has been pandering, but is it working? He's basically sold himself out, a reason why I think he isn't going to be as strong with independents as people originally thought.
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 02-06-2008, 06:19 PM   #35
ONE
love, blood, life
 
U2isthebest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vision over visibility....
Posts: 12,332
Local Time: 12:14 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram


Especially if he nominates Huckabee as VP. Imagine the overwhelming excitement for moderate independents and dems - to vote for a creationist who wants to amend the Constitution to streamline it with the Bible. There's a fantastic selling point!!

Who the heck doesn't want a theocracy? Those usually work out so well....m i rite guyz?!!!111??11?
__________________
U2isthebest is offline  
Old 02-06-2008, 06:19 PM   #36
Blue Crack Supplier
 
kellyahern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here
Posts: 34,698
Local Time: 12:14 AM
What's interesting to me is that I think for the first time the Democratic party has two really strong candidates. That is why the race is so close and the debate about who to choose can get so heated. It's hard to choose.

Although I prefer Obama and think he would have an edge in the general election, I would still be satisfied if Clinton was the nominee. Still, I don't think his edge is too big because as other people have said, the people who really dislike Hillary seem to dislike McCain even more, which is weird, but then Rush and Glen Beck never did make much sense to me. The far right who are attacking McCain would have to do an enormous amount of backtracking if they're going to support him next fall.

I don't think Democrats would stay home in the general election if their preferred candidate does not get the nomination. I wonder if the far right would if McCain gets the nomination.
__________________
kellyahern is offline  
Old 02-06-2008, 06:21 PM   #37
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,789
Local Time: 08:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar


He has been pandering, but is it working? He's basically sold himself out, a reason why I think he isn't going to be as strong with independents as people originally thought.
Right. He'll struggle in the open election, when every and all parties are welcome. For now, he's safe because the other candidates are canceling each other out.

Let it be known that I do not support McCain, and am disappointed with Huckabee's recent fall from grace. I really would vote Obama over McCain at this point.
__________________
LemonMelon is online now  
Old 02-06-2008, 06:22 PM   #38
ONE
love, blood, life
 
U2isthebest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vision over visibility....
Posts: 12,332
Local Time: 12:14 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMelon


That sums up the recent fall of the GOP quite nicely. There are too many candidates, the voters are divided, and besides, people are scared of the word "conservative" now thanks to Bush's incompetence.

This wasn't all that difficult to predict.
Excellent points. Even some of the more moderate Republicans seem to be distancing themselves from the Conservative system. Only the ultra-right evangelicals are still shouting their conservatism from the rooftops and most of them only care about abortion and gay marriage, which are clearly the biggest issues our country faces.
__________________
U2isthebest is offline  
Old 02-06-2008, 06:23 PM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
the iron horse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: in a glass of CheerWine
Posts: 3,251
Local Time: 11:14 PM
The Rebublican Party fractured, in my view, a decade ago or so ago.

That's when I became a Libertarian.

The current President Bush has hammered the death nail on the GOP.

I talked to several of my friends today, who have voted Rebublican the past few years, but they are really upset at the direction of the party.

He ignored and trampled conservatives values concerning less government, personal freedoms, taxes, and on and on.

What a waste
__________________
the iron horse is offline  
Old 02-06-2008, 06:23 PM   #40
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,641
Local Time: 10:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMelon

and besides, people are scared of the word "conservative" now thanks to Bush's incompetence.
I remember when Bush made the word 'compassionate' scary for Republicans... They were scared shitless of that word, says a lot.
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 02-06-2008, 06:23 PM   #41
ONE
love, blood, life
 
U2isthebest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vision over visibility....
Posts: 12,332
Local Time: 12:14 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMelon


Right. He'll struggle in the open election, when every and all parties are welcome. For now, he's safe because the other candidates are canceling each other out.

Let it be known that I do not support McCain, and am disappointed with Huckabee's recent fall from grace. I really would vote Obama over McCain at this point.
You were a Huckabee supporter?
__________________
U2isthebest is offline  
Old 02-06-2008, 06:25 PM   #42
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,789
Local Time: 08:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2isthebest


You were a Huckabee supporter?
Yes. I liked that he was pure and didn't have a history of pandering (like McCain and Romney, who scares the hell out of me). Of course, he pigeonholed himself, so there's no way he gets on the ticket now.
__________________
LemonMelon is online now  
Old 02-06-2008, 06:25 PM   #43
ONE
love, blood, life
 
U2isthebest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vision over visibility....
Posts: 12,332
Local Time: 12:14 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by the iron horse
The Rebublican Party fractured, in my view, a decade ago or so ago.

That's when I became a Libertarian.

The current President Bush has hammered the death nail on the GOP.

I talked to several of my friends today, who have voted Rebublican the past few years, but they are really upset at the direction of the party.

He ignored and trampled conservatives values concerning less government, personal freedoms, taxes, and on and on.

What a waste
How can a party, being the Republicans in this instance, talk about the importance of "personal freedoms" when they won't let certain people marry because of the gender of their partner? Isn't that ironic? And yeah I really do think...
__________________
U2isthebest is offline  
Old 02-06-2008, 06:27 PM   #44
ONE
love, blood, life
 
U2isthebest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vision over visibility....
Posts: 12,332
Local Time: 12:14 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMelon


Yes. I liked that he was pure and didn't have a history of pandering (like McCain and Romney, who scares the hell out of me). Of course, he pigeonholed himself, so there's no way he gets on the ticket now.
Personally, he seems like a great guy. He's funny, down-to-earth, and just seems nice. But he wants to turn this country into a "Christian nation." As a Christian, that scares the shit out me.
__________________
U2isthebest is offline  
Old 02-06-2008, 06:32 PM   #45
Blue Crack Supplier
 
kellyahern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here
Posts: 34,698
Local Time: 12:14 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2isthebest


Personally, he seems like a great guy. He's funny, down-to-earth, and just seems nice. But he wants to turn this country into a "Christian nation." As a Christian, that scares the shit out me.
I know what you mean. He seems like a great guy, until you find out what he stands for.

It's like, "Wow, what a cool guy, he seems ni - HE WANTS TO DO WHAT TO THE CONSTITUTION!?!?"
__________________

__________________
kellyahern is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com