The forbidden library - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2005, 04:05 PM   #16
New Yorker

Local Time: 12:41 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic
This may be a little off-topic, but I'm curious to know if anyone else has read the His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman? These are some of my favorite books ever and I've always smirked at how many people think the Harry Potter books are evil and should be burned and this brilliant series contiues to go unnoticed...
Yeah - I love the HDM books... and HP. I've read most of those books and did my dissertation in Dutch on Anne Frank.

Guess i'm on a one way flight to hell then.

Old 08-09-2005, 04:18 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:41 AM
Re: The forbidden library

Quote:
Originally posted by whenhiphopdrovethebigcars

Z
Zen Buddhism: Selected Writings. D.T. Suzuki. Doubleday. Challenged at the Plymouth-Canton school system in Canton, Mich. (1987) because "this book details the teachings of the religion of Buddhism in such a way that the reader could very likely embrace its teachings and choose this as his religion." The last thing we need are a bunch of peaceful Buddhists running around. The horror. (Purchase)
That's gotta be my favorite.

Old 08-09-2005, 05:25 PM   #18
Acrobat

Local Time: 07:41 AM
James and The Giant Peach and The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe were required reading for my 4th graders. Excellent books!
Book banning is an ignorant persons form of mind control.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:14 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 05:41 AM
...so...basically, the people's reasoning behind banning these books is that they want to shield children from opposing views and real life situations that all children will, unless they're locked up in their rooms the rest of their lives, eventually encounter one day when they're out on their own.

Brilliant idea, that .

with banning books. to all those who go ahead and read them anyway . There's some on here I haven't read yet...I'll keep an eye out for them .

Angela
Old 08-09-2005, 07:23 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:41 PM
As I said a gang of fuckers burning books by themselves is not censorship. Banning books or altering them (e.g. the animated Animal Farm) is censorship. There is a distinction between the two.

If your book warrants burning from the types of people that go out and burn books then it is a fair bet that 1: you struck a nerve with them and 2: your sales will go up.

Censorship however unjustified seems to be because of decisions at certain schools in the US by bloody parents groups with only a few exceptions.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:13 PM   #21
Refugee

Local Time: 04:41 AM
It's interesting to note that some of these books were banned because of racist language. I guess sometimes the PC police can be as bad as the religious conservative types.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:11 AM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally posted by Lemonfix
It's interesting to note that some of these books were banned because of racist language.
The funny thing about that is that if the people who banned the books actually read them, they'd realize that all the author was doing was having the characters use the language that was common in the time the book is set in. That didn't automatically mean that they supported racism, they were just being historically accurate, was all.

Angela
Old 08-10-2005, 06:46 AM   #23
War Child

Local Time: 06:41 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic
This may be a little off-topic, but I'm curious to know if anyone else has read the His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman? These are some of my favorite books ever and I've always smirked at how many people think the Harry Potter books are evil and should be burned and this brilliant series contiues to go unnoticed...
We have discussed this book in one of my yahoo reading groups,but I havent read it myself.Iam going to ask my daughter if she would be interested in it.

Thank goodness that we live in a country where we can fight
censorship,but I shudder to think how it would be here if some people could change that....
Old 08-10-2005, 08:06 AM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I've read several of the books on this list, yet I don't worship Satan, I have never murdered anyone while pretending to be a clown, I have not killed myself, and to my knowledge, I have never eaten a baby. But maybe I'm just an anomaly.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:12 AM   #25
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

I went to Catholic school as a young child, and my second grade teacher read most of Roald Dahl's works to us--Charlie..., The BFG, Matilda, James and the Giant Peach, George's Marvelous Medicine, The Witches...

Matilda is still one of my all-time favorite books.

As a wise person once remarked, "The best way to get a kid to read a book is to ban it."

Join Amnesty.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:15 AM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Ive read some of the his dark materials books

I had a teacher my freshman year of highschool that had us read nothing but books that had been banned in one place or another.
That was a really fun class, and he was a total nut job
He hit me with a book! A banned book
Old 08-10-2005, 01:58 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by pax
As a wise person once remarked, "The best way to get a kid to read a book is to ban it."
Bingo.

Also, LOL, ditto, BluRmGrl . Same applies to my sister and friends, who've also read quite a few of the books on this list. Odd, that, huh?

Angela
Old 08-10-2005, 03:56 PM   #28
fah
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:41 AM
Currently one mini fah is reading Little House in the Big Woods and another is reading Charley and the Chocolate Factory
Old 08-10-2005, 11:09 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel

with banning books. to all those who go ahead and read them anyway . There's some on here I haven't read yet...I'll keep an eye out for them .
Great idea, Angela. I'll print out a list to make sure I don't miss any.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:13 PM   #30
Refugee

Local Time: 11:41 AM
These books are probably the best/most profound books ever written. Books that challenge societal conformities should be encouraged.