the Fat Tax - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2006, 09:01 PM   #31
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:55 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
It has been argued that the farm subsidies on corn that distort the market are a good part of the problem.

The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals

I heard this author on NPR awhile back

Quote:
One of the many eye-openers in the book is the prevalence of corn in the American diet; of the 45,000 items in a supermarket, more than a quarter contain corn. Pollan meditates on the freakishly protean nature of the corn plant and looks at how the food industry has exploited it, to the detriment of everyone from farmers to fat-and-getting-fatter Americans. Besides Stephen King, few other writers have made a corn field seem so sinister.

Old 06-12-2006, 09:05 PM   #32
Refugee

Local Time: 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
It has been argued that the farm subsidies on corn that distort the market are a good part of the problem.
That figures and somehow doesn't surprise me. If that's the main reason why HFCS is so cheap and widely used, I'd rather re-route to THAT money to nutitional education programs than create any sort of sin tax. If there are going to be farm subsidies, maybe they should be for transitioning from corn to organic produce.

Old 06-12-2006, 09:23 PM   #33
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 04:55 AM
Government intervention
Don't like the idea of the 'fat tax'. People are still gonna pay. I drink Coke daily, but no coffee. I rarely eat McDonalds - who can resist the fries And no, I don't have a weight problem - never did.

Who's to decide what is good/bad for you (just based on the sugar/salt content? I admit not reading the whole article/link posted on p1. ) What may be/seem good/healthy to one now may be determined to not be the case at some point in time. One day wine is good for you, the next it's not (or whatever - fill in your own edible/drinkable item in the analogy). The government would be happy to tax the people more, but they aren't finding a solution to the healthcare issue. Pretty soon my monthly premium will be more than my mortgage
Just seems the American people are fat and lazy - a tax is gonna solve this? They have to change they way they live & eat - shouldn't that be done thru schooling (partially). ?

why do I dare enter FYM - I'm not very articulate

btw, I just ate a plate of alfalfa sprouts And I will be drinking a Coke with my Tri-tip cooking on the BBQ
Old 06-12-2006, 09:27 PM   #34
Refugee

Local Time: 05:55 AM
Hypocrites...what about Aspartame?????????????????
Old 06-12-2006, 09:28 PM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 05:55 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Harry Vest
Hypocrites...what about Aspartame?????????????????
What about it?
Old 06-12-2006, 09:31 PM   #36
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:55 PM
There is no problem with Aspartame, study after study refutes the claims that it is harmful to health - we have a very, very high confidence level of it's safety.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:44 AM   #37
War Child

Local Time: 06:55 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon

There is absolutely no reason why most of our food has little nutritional value, while the healthy food that we should be eating is priced too high to be affordable for most people.

Exactly. The fattening food is cheaper. Lower the cost of healthy food. (The poor in the U.S. tend to be fatter.)
Old 06-14-2006, 12:30 PM   #38
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:55 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by kimby
Exactly. The fattening food is cheaper. Lower the cost of healthy food. (The poor in the U.S. tend to be fatter.)
Is "healthy food" really that much more expensive?

Or does convenience, taste, and personal choice drive this.

Plenty of people have starch based diets - yet only the US suffers from high obesity.
Old 06-14-2006, 02:00 PM   #39
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Plenty of people have starch based diets - yet only the US suffers from high obesity.
I think I said this in some other thread, but for people my age (college), it's not so much the cost, but the shelf life. Mac 'n cheese is $.49 and lasts....forever. Where else can you find a whole meal that only costs $.49 and lasts forever? I can buy grain bread, decent meat, and healthy cheese and make sandwiches that might only cost $.49 if you divide it out into portions, but in the past when I've bought sandwich parts, everything goes bad before I can eat it all.

I'm not making an excuse, just pointing out my observation based on how me and all my friends buy our food.

Also, to your point "Plenty of people have starch based diets - yet only the US suffers from high obesity", I think this gets at the issue that it's not just the fat/sugar in our foods. That's only one side of the issue. The second part is that we don't get any exercise. Everyday I hear people complaining about traffic, how far away they had to park, how they were going to get to work without five cars for one family, etc, but I don't see anyone on the sidewalks or the busses.

IMO, after the "fat tax" we need a HUGE tax for getting a driver's license.
Old 06-14-2006, 02:15 PM   #40
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic
IMO, after the "fat tax" we need a HUGE tax for getting a driver's license.

how about an additional $1 per gallon gasoline tax?

it's really the best idea ever. it would solve SO many problems.

that, and breaking the back of the corn lobby -- can someone say "sugar ethanol" with me?
Old 06-14-2006, 02:28 PM   #41
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Is the climate here really suited for sugarcane growth like in Brazil?
Old 06-14-2006, 02:36 PM   #42
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by randhail
Is the climate here really suited for sugarcane growth like in Brazil?

hawaii, florida ... there's that whole sugar tariff issue that i'm not terribly familiar with, but i don't see why we'd have to produce our own sugar in order to produce sugar ethanol, especially when it's much cheaper to make than corn ethanol.
Old 06-14-2006, 02:40 PM   #43
Blue Crack Addict

I don't mind slapping more gas taxes but hello, that's not going to only stop fat people from not walking, it will bring up everyone's food prices, everyone's plane ticket prices, everyone bus pass prices and so on. It's not as if you can avoid these things.

The problem is in North America, we live in a vast and underpopulated land for the most part. And our cities were designed with cars in mind. So you can punish people who drive, but unless you're going to do something about public transit, I don't see how this is helping anybody.

And "just live without a car" is a very nice idea when you live out in the sticks somewhere or a college town like some. But why don't you try that in one of the most expensive cities on the continent and see what it's like when you can't afford to live in the downtown core so you're pushed out into the suburbs because your salary dictates it.

The biggest problem is how our infrastructure was built. This is what encourages a sedentary lifestyle - you can't walk to the corner store to pick things up if you live in a subdivision of McMansions because there IS no corner store to speak of. Architecturally, we're a mess.
Old 06-14-2006, 02:50 PM   #44
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
I don't mind slapping more gas taxes but hello, that's not going to only stop fat people from not walking, it will bring up everyone's food prices, everyone's plane ticket prices, everyone bus pass prices and so on. It's not as if you can avoid these things.

The problem is in North America, we live in a vast and underpopulated land for the most part. And our cities were designed with cars in mind. So you can punish people who drive, but unless you're going to do something about public transit, I don't see how this is helping anybody.

And "just live without a car" is a very nice idea when you live out in the sticks somewhere or a college town like some. But why don't you try that in one of the most expensive cities on the continent and see what it's like when you can't afford to live in the downtown core so you're pushed out into the suburbs because your salary dictates it.

The biggest problem is how our infrastructure was built. This is what encourages a sedentary lifestyle - you can't walk to the corner store to pick things up if you live in a subdivision of McMansions because there IS no corner store to speak of. Architecturally, we're a mess.

agreed, but a gas tax would do much more than make people thinner (and maybe if food were more expensive, we'd be more careful about what we bought).

i mean the gas tax to address a whole host of other problems, not just obesity.

i don't understand your expensive city line -- most expensive cities in north america have extensive commuter rail systems, it's those in the sticks who have to drive everywhere.

which is fine. their COLA is vastly lower than mine is, and i certainly pay for my public transportation in higher taxes and the fact that i still pay close to $2 every time i hop on the Metro, which is at least twice a day.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:11 PM   #45
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Yes, it actually is much more expensive to eat healthy. Given that I chose to go back to school full time, my financial situation fluctuates from one school term to the next, depending on several factors. Buying fresh fruits and vegetables, and lean, unprocessed meat is much more expensive than a less healthy diet. Enough so that I notice quite a difference at the cash register.