The fake surrenders - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2003, 04:13 PM   #46
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by ALEXRUS

Exactly. Do not take it personal but when you start giving YOUR ideas and when you do not just repeat things you get in some...hmmm...let's call them official sources...I like it.

So I think as this war goes on, there will be more and more "guerilla forces"="fake civilians" and less "real civilians"...
I can't make heads or tails of what you are trying to say. But if you think I am making it up, then that's your opinion i guess.

Old 03-25-2003, 04:41 PM   #47
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:22 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by ALEXRUS

Who do you think are the people whom you call "guerilla forces"?
How anyone can distinguish between a "civilian" and "dressed civilian"?
Exactly why their stripping off their uniforms is another strategy to cause more PR support.

It is exactly why, we need to stop playing like we had a chance at winning the PR war and start playing like we want to win.

By the way, do you mind asking your governement to stop sending equiptment to help them. Thanks.

Old 03-25-2003, 07:10 PM   #48
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

from FoxNews.com

Earlier Tuesday, in what appeared to be a critical moment for coalition forces, thousands of Shiites in Basra began a popular uprising against Saddam Hussein's forces, according to a British pool journalist embedded with coalition troops.

Iraqi Fedayeen were reportedly firing at the Shiite protesters, who had the support of British troops in the area. Coalition forces, in turn, were reportedly firing missiles at the pro-Saddam forces.

Meanwhile, senior Defense officials told Fox News that intelligence reports indicated Iraqi forces either special Republican Guard forces or Fedayeen Saddam terrorists in and around Basra were dressing up as U.S. soldiers, then accepting the surrender of other Iraqi forces and executing them.

Britain's ITN news network reported that thousands of people were rampaging through the Basra streets. Dozens of buildings were on fire, according to ITN, as the predominantly Shiite population was in revolt against Saddam's minority Sunni rulers.

But there were few reliable details of the chaotic situation inside the southern city of Basra, Iraq's second-largest with 1.3 million residents.

"We've had reports we can't substantiate as of yet of an uprising in Basra. We are closely monitoring the situation," said U.S. Marine Maj. David C. Andersen.

A British spokesman said a top Baath Party official was captured outside the southern Iraqi city.

Coalition forces wanted the people of Basra to attack soldiers loyal to Saddam. British troops backed by tanks and armored vehicles were massing on the outskirts of Basra and planning to enter the city.

"We'll help them every which way we can," British spokesman Chris Vernon told a news conference in Kuwait. "We are helping them when we took out probably the most senior Baath party guy in Basra this morning. That will have sent a shock wave through them."
Old 03-25-2003, 08:47 PM   #49
The Fly

Well, I have to say, my friend's cousin was one of the murdered POW's. He was in Afghanistan and came home for one month before going to Iraq. He showed us pics of Afghanistan. My friend, her name is Angel, called me up and told me he was missing. Then she told me he was dead. I asked her if he was one of the guys shown on TV dead and she just cried. This is terrible. Some of you need to stop taking up for the Iraqis and giving them the benefit of the doubt and only acting like the Americans are the bad guys picking on the Iraqis. That makes me sick! A lot of those soldiers only joined because they needed money for college or a job. They are not monsters and do not deserve to be tricked or tortured. I saw the story about the murdered POW's on TV on NBC on Sunday. They said the Iraqis zoomed in on the faces of the dead guys. The video was shown on channels all over the world, but not in the US because it was tasteless but that doesn't mean it didn't happen and Bush made it all up like some of you seem to believe. I'm not even for the war! I don't want the war and I wish all the military people were home and my friend's cousin was alive again. But I hate to see America being badmouthed and people taking up for Iraq. Saddam Hussein gassed his own people- did you forget that?
Old 03-25-2003, 08:53 PM   #50
ONE
love, blood, life

I am sorry for your loss.
Old 03-25-2003, 09:10 PM   #51
The Fly

Thanks Dreadsox. When I find out more details I'll post it if her family doesn't mind
Old 03-25-2003, 10:31 PM   #52
ONE
love, blood, life

i am so sorry Sweepie. my heart and prayers go out to you and your friend...
Old 03-26-2003, 05:00 AM   #53
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:22 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox

By the way, do you mind asking your governement to stop sending equiptment to help them. Thanks.
Russian President and Prime minister (amony many others) denied that and promised any such activities discovered will be punished.

As for ITN: a British journalist said they got shot on by the Coalition forces. They enocountered Iraquis, (who according to him wanted to surrender), journalists started running away and Coalition forces fired away...4 or 5 of them were killed and only one survived to tell.
Old 03-26-2003, 06:51 AM   #54
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:22 AM
All I'm trying to say is people on both sides die, people on both sides can make mistakes in a war (there is no such thing as a 100% sure weapon, after all). It's not fair IMO to only talk about one side and make it look like no one else is getting hurt. (Iraqui soldiers have families worrying sick over them too, don't they?)

For example, on German TV I saw footage of an Iraqui living in Germany who was talking to his relatives in Baghdad. He was crying from fear what will happen to them... or an Iraqui woman in Baghdad, standing among ruins, talking how windows of their house got smashed and getting emotional/angry about the "clean" bombing.

I'm sorry for the losses on both sides, as well as the losses in the civilians during the bombings. (I thought majority of the people agreed on that)

Sweepie
Old 03-26-2003, 07:54 AM   #55
New Yorker

Sweepie, I'm very sorry.

Quote:
Originally posted by womanfish
from FoxNews.com
Right there is your problem. Talk about bias.
Old 03-26-2003, 11:46 AM   #56
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:22 AM
Old 03-26-2003, 01:49 PM   #57
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Scarletwine
Sweepie, I'm very sorry.

Right there is your problem. Talk about bias.
Yep, totally disqualify a whole network and any information that they report. Sorry but I get my information from many sources, some that are known to be more conservative and some to be known as more liberal. I decide for myself what seems credible. I see that you don't do they same.

Now run off and read the New Independent and believe every single word.
Old 03-26-2003, 02:35 PM   #58
The Fly

Local Time: 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox

I will do that. I hope you will also ask President Bush to stop the war in exchange.
Anyway, I think it's not correct to look for scapegoats to justify military miscalculations. If Iraqi military do not surrender in thousands it is not Russia to be blamed for that. If Iraqis provide fierce resistance, it is not Russia to be blamed for that. Russia did not start this war.
A pair of night vision goggles can stop the US military machine? What's it worth then?
Old 03-26-2003, 02:37 PM   #59
The Fly

Local Time: 11:22 AM
Sweepie,

Receive my condolences...
There will be more victims on both sides...
Old 03-26-2003, 08:43 PM   #60
The Fly

I'm sorry Sweepie

The fake surrenders still really upset me. I hated to see people dying from being tricked. Of course everybody is going to fight back but even in the worst wars there should be more honor than that.

Now they say Iraq is making old people walk in front of troops as shields and shoot them if they don't, and that they are putting targets in civilian neighborhoods so when the Americans bomb, it will look like they killed civilians on purpose for bad press. If all this stuff is really happening, it looks like people on this forum care more about Iraqi civilians than their government does! They probably hope a lot do die so they can villianize America more. That's messed up.