The F$$d P$lice are C$ming

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If your motto is moderation in all things, how could you possibly applaud the story about the Heart Attack Grill? Giving already obese customers a free burger that clocks in at 8,000 calories is the antithesis of moderation.

You should check the definition of "moderation" brother.

I'm not eating at the Heart Attack Grill daily.

My lunch today was a bowl of lentil soup.

Is it truly moderation you believe, or that the view one of the books you linked to is the truth? One indicated that what we think we know about diet and health is a misconception. You say moderation. What is your definition of moderation anyway? The medically accepted daily totals for all fats, carbs, sodium and protein are quite clear. Are you aware of the content of the foods you eat, such as your pork rind? The breakdown of fats in your buttermilk? How much sodium do you think you might have per day? It's undeniable truth that we need a little bit of lots of things and that includes sugars and salt and protein etc. For you to be genuine in taking the moderation apoproach, you need to know what you are really taking in each day and then you can gage moderation. Moderation, also, doesn't involve disregarding medical science's advances in understanding obesity or unhealthy living and their consequences on the body. Anecdotes do nothing to support or dismantle an argument either.

Is it truly moderation you believe, or that the view one of the books you linked to is the truth? One indicated that what we think we know about diet and health is a misconception. You say moderation. What is your definition of moderation anyway? The medically accepted daily totals for all fats, carbs, sodium and protein are quite clear. Are you aware of the content of the foods you eat, such as your pork rind? The breakdown of fats in your buttermilk? How much sodium do you think you might have per day? It's undeniable truth that we need a little bit of lots of things and that includes sugars and salt and protein etc. For you to be genuine in taking the moderation apoproach, you need to know what you are really taking in each day and then you can gage moderation. Moderation, also, doesn't involve disregarding medical science's advances in understanding obesity or unhealthy living and their consequences on the body. Anecdotes do nothing to support or dismantle an argument either.

The breakdown of fats in my buttermilk?

Are you that afraid of food?

My reply is moderation in all things.
Yes, that's a sound philosophy, though I don't think it's as widely followed as it used to be.

Do you find that your students are more likely to be overweight or obese than your own peers were at that age? I definitely notice this at my kids' school.

See, this is precisely where moderation is going to fail you if you do not understand what you eat. I assume you eat different things each day, like most people. So some days you might have your buttermilk (for example) but perhaps then not again for 2 weeks. Same with lots of foods. Can you add up, roughly, and without making yourself a slave to it, the amounts you are to eat in moderation?

Am I afraid of food? Quite the contrary, horseguy. I've been counting my food for about 26 years now and do it without a second thought, as easy as breathing now. Diabetes and coeliac disease make you very aware of what you eat, but there is only so much quinoa and brown rice a person can eat! So I eat junk too. I have my share of sugar, fat and engine clogging crap. But I monitor it. I'm not enslaved. It might appear that way to you, but I learned when I was 8 that I will one day face blindness, heart diease, diabetic kidney disease, amputation from circulation problems, obesity, liver disease as well as an already increased chance of other auto-immune problems if I don't use moderation. I fear being blind, losing my feet/legs, having a heart attack, dying. I don't fear food. I'm not playing chicken with oncoming trains, is all.

I do support it.

I hope they spring up all over.

You are ignoring commenting on moderation.
how can an 8000 calorie burger be considered moderation at all? even if it's something you have just once in your life, that's a LOT of calories. it's how much i should eat in four days. the only way such a burger could be eaten in moderation is if 8-10 people split one, and i highly doubt that's what the average person who orders it does, and you certainly didn't suggest this in your posts.

how can an 8000 calorie burger be considered moderation at all? even if it's something you have just once in your life, that's a LOT of calories. it's how much i should eat in four days. the only way such a burger could be eaten in moderation is if 8-10 people split one, and i highly doubt that's what the average person who orders it does, and you certainly didn't suggest this in your posts.

Did I say a 8000 calorie burger should be considered moderation?

Please go back and read what I have said.

Thank you :)

Funny how the iron horse didn't reply to you again, Anna.

You stated that you support the Heart Attack Grill and hope they "spring up all over". Now you're saying that one of their most notable menu items is not moderation. What ARE you trying to say here? And please, try to reply in something more than just a soundbite.

Funny how the iron horse didn't reply to you again, Anna.

You stated that you support the Heart Attack Grill and hope they "spring up all over". Now you're saying that one of their most notable menu items is not moderation. What ARE you trying to say here? And please, try to reply in something more than just a soundbite.

OK, I will try to keep this simpler than a soundbite.

My advice, and I'm not an expert here, is that we should eat a wide variety of foods and we should do so in moderation.

That means, for example, not eating fried bacon three times a day for weeks.

Did you miss my lentil soup lunch?

Many did :doh:

My point here is that we should not be afraid of food or gullible to the next (so called) news about what food will kill us.

Do you remember the great "egg scare" years ago?

That is what I am saying here on this thread. It is why I started this thread.

Eat your bacon and drink your whole milk.

In moderation of course :)

My advice, and I'm not an expert here, is that we should eat a wide variety of foods and we should do so in moderation.

My point here is that we should not be afraid of food or gullible to the next (so called) news about what food will kill us.

So you admit supporting that restaurant was your ignorance? That restaurant supports anything but moderation.

You will make better strides in being understood if you didn't blindly support such things.

i've read it plenty. pretty much, this:

So you admit supporting that restaurant was your ignorance? That restaurant supports anything but moderation.

You will make better strides in being understood if you didn't blindly support such things.
you make one post that says you think this place should be franchised, then you say in another post (in the same thread, no less) that you believe in moderation. if you can't see how those are conflicting posts, i don't know what else i can say. unless you only supported the restaurant in the first place to piss everyone off...

Moderation in all things, guys. Don't have too much of something. How do you know if it's too much? Don't look at a label, that shows fear. You don't want to show fear. Just follow your heart. Follow your gut. Believe everything will be OK, and it will be.

Moderation is only really important with foods that will have serious consequences on your health, or if you eat so much of one food group at the exclusion of another. The food pyramid you spoke of with disdain a few posts back is what moderation is. It is a very straight forward way of keeping a check on your intake. It's not fear to follow it, nor subscribing to a false health guideline. It's the ideal amounts of everything, good and bad. Lentil soup, buttermilk and pork rind have their place, but not an 8000 calorie
burger. But I suppose the people who would go there are not the kind who make sure they're eating a good balance. It might make a nice change from fried foods and coke for them!

Oh, and thank you for writing a longer post! It also doesn't come across so antagonistic, which is good for those of us who are quite curious about a few of your views!

So the McDonald's marathoner did very well. I cannot imagine running 100 miles a week-yikes.

"I couldn't ask for a better run on a tough course in difficult conditions," D'Amico told Palatine Patch after completing the L.A. Marathon with an unofficial time of 2:36.14. He improved his previous best time by 30 seconds despite rain, gusty winds and an all-McDonald's diet.

Palatine Patch reports that he ended up raising more than $26,000 for Ronald McDonald's charities. The 15-time marathon runner said he is not burned out on McDonald's, and his body doesn't seem to be, either. Blood work taken before the challenge showed his cholesterol at 186, by day 25 of all-McDonald's, he was at 158 (he also runs about 100 miles per week).

"If you make good choices and better choices more often than not, you're going to have good results," he told Patch. "There's diet, there's exercise, there's stress. There's a lot of things. That's something I try to tell people to keep in mind. Don't focus on one aspect look at things as a whole."

My body has been my laboratory over the years, but we're all unique biochemically, so please use what you learn here carefully- what works for one may not necessarily work for another. As a Nutrition Consultant, even with three decades of independent nutritional research and a degree in Biology, I'm not qualified to give out medical advice.

At least he's a little more honest than most of your "sources".

Thinking for yourself is fun :wave:

No, I don't trust the government entirely, nor do I trust a single website entirely. Why does everything have to be black or white with you? Folks have the freedom to digest a large amount of information from a variety of sources, and come up with a reasonable opinion.

This is a skill Americans are losing due to relying on crap for "news" that has a preformatted opinion baked in for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom