The F$$d P$lice are C$ming

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
She has said that she gets up at 4 AM to work out. No overweight woman would have arms like hers at her age. So she's not a stick figure-that makes her an overweight hypocrite?

exactly, you can tell she's in shape. she probably said while eating the ribs that she knew it meant an extra couple hours on a treadmill but it was worth it. the most hilarious part is the people who are all "omg the government can't tell me what i can and can't eat!" are the ones telling HER what she can and can't eat.

This cracked me up for some reason. Ta-Nehisi Coates over at The Atlantic had a blogpost today responding to NYT food columnist Mark Bittman's recent "How to Make Oatmeal...Wrong" (which bemoans the fact that "McDonald’s [oatmeal] contains more sugar than a Snickers bar and only 10 fewer calories than a McDonald’s cheeseburger or Egg McMuffin"). Coates writes:
I often hear this complaint from people who cook directed at people who don't. The notion basically holds that cooking isn't as inconvenient as people make it out to be. I don't know. I make my oatmeal in a pot at home--there's something blasphemous about microwaving it--but I don't own a dishwasher, and cleaning up actually is work. Moreover, I'm assuming people standing in that McDonald's line can text, tweet, e-mail or whatever while they wait.

The bigger thing here is understanding why people go to McDonald's in the first place. I strongly suspect that the entire experience is comforting. In a day of constant work, pushes and pulls, you have this one clean place, which is the same everywhere, dispensing joyful shots of sugar and salt. That's just me thinking about how I've eaten in the past--and also how I eat when my brain is crowded with everything besides what I'm eating.

I think what Bittman urges in his writing is consciousness. He wants people to think hard about what they're eating. I strongly suspect that people go to McDonald's for the exact opposite reason--to get unconscious. Understanding why that it is, goes beyond our food. It's about how we live.

Last edited:
Rush Limbaugh called Michelle Obama a hypocrite on his Monday show, saying that, while the First Lady advocates healthy eating, she "doesn't look like [she] follows her own...dietary advice" and would never be put on the cover of Sports Illustrated's swimsuit issue.

i truly don't get it. all they could talk about after the 2009 SOTU was how "inappropriate" she was because she was showing her buff arms?

1103-michelle-obama_at.jpg

she looks pretty slim to me.

but then, she was eating ribs.

you know, ribs.

that's why they get so big.

Michelle Obama is the kind of strong, yet sexy African-American woman/mother/goddess I could really get... behind :up:

I think she's freakin' gorgeous.

So do I- ^ that's a beautiful picture of her

A suburban Chicago man has a rather unusual routine to prepare for the Los Angeles Marathon: he has pledged to eat only McDonald's food for a month leading up to the race.

Joe D’Amico, a 36-year-old dad from Palatine who has completed 14 marathons, is set to run the March 20 race after eating only McDonald's for 30 days.

“My wife told me I was crazy,” D’Amico told the Chicago Sun-Times. “But I love McDonald’s and I love running, and this was a great way to combine the two.”

D’Amico, who has been dubbed the "McRunner," outlined his plan on his blog, aptly titled "Confessions of a Drive-Thru Runner":

I will eat only McDonald’s for 30 days and attempt a sub 2:36 at the L.A. Marathon on March 20, 2011.

The rules are simple:

1. Can eat only McDonald’s for 30 days

2. Non-McDonald’s water, PowerGel, multivitamin and ibuprofen will be allowed (c’mon, I’m a runner)

3. Run lots of miles

4. Stay married

5. Have fun

6. Donate $1 for every McRunner Facebook fan through March 20th (up to $2,500) to the Ronald McDonald House Charities and raise an additional $2,500 via https://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/mcrunner/lamarathon

D’Amico logs his daily meals on his blog, and is currently on Day 21 of the challenge. Despite his doctor's warnings, he told the Sun-Times he has been feeling good.

"From day one, I received such positive feedback and encouragement from friends, family and even those I never met," D’Amico said on his fundraising page. "That made me realize that I could provide more than just a little entertainment and inspiration; I could actually make a difference!"

D’Amico, who runs a 6 minute mile and logs more than 100 miles per week, told WGN Radio Thursday that he is not being paid by McDonald's, and not trying to make a political statement.

"I'm a free agent," he told the station. "I pay for all my McNuggets and all my shoes. I'm just a regular guy trying to run fast."

D’Amico told the Sun-Times he avoids eating Big Macs and won't order large fries, unlike Morgan Spurlock in "Super Size Me," whose health rapidly deteriorated on his McDonald's-only diet.

"I'm rolling along and feeling quite good," D’Amico told WGN, adding that he never counts calories. "..It helps to run that many miles, you can eat a little bit more liberally."

An average McDonald's meal day for D’Amico includes an Egg McMuffin without Canadian bacon, a grilled chicken sandwich without the mayo, a hamburger and some cookies.

Confessions of a Drive-Thru Runner

boston.com

Should Heart Attack Grill restaurant be shut as a health hazard?

Posted by Deborah Kotz March 8, 2011

"I'll admit that I never heard of Heart Attack Grill, a restaurant in Chandler, Arizona that serves 8,000-calorie "quadruple bypass burgers" until the restaurant's 575-pound spokesman died last week at age 29. While Blair River didn't die of a heart attack, doctors say his extreme obesity made it tough to overcome the pneumonia he developed and died from.

The whole macabre tale begs the question: Is there a limit to how disgustingly fattening restaurant foods can be? Should the Food and Drug Administration, state health regulators, Michelle Obama step in to shut places down that really and truly raise our heart attack risk every time we eat?

After all, New York City has banned smoking in pretty much all public places since the Surgeon General reported that even being exposed to just one cigarette can cause irreversible lung damage. And Boston is also considering such a ban.

Heart Attack Grill -- thankfully not a nationwide franchise -- is a hospital themed restaurant where waitresses dress as nurses, take orders on prescription pads, and wrap tags around patients', ahem, patrons' wrists showing which foods they ordered. The restaurant certainly can't be accused of false advertising with its "flatliner fries" made with pure lard or its jolt soda packed with caffeine and sugar.

Anyone who weighs in and tips the scale over 350 pounds before they order can eat a triple or quadruple bypass burger for free. And all customers, regardless of their weight, get pushed to their car in a wheelchair after they consume one of burgers that leaves them two to three pounds heavier.

It's all fun and games until someone loses a life.

What do you think? Should Heart Attack Grill be shut down as a health hazard or celebrated as the freedom to indulge that makes us American?"

Anyone who weighs in and tips the scale over 350 pounds before they order can eat a triple or quadruple bypass burger for free.
That's rather disturbing. I get it, their schtick is thumbing their nose at the Food Police, but come on.

Last edited:
That's rather disturbing. I get it, their schtick is thumbing their nose at the Food Police, but come on.

I agree. It's one thing to advocate the occasional indulgence in unhealthy food, but to actively promote and encourage unhealthy and dangerous conditions seems wrong.

boston.com

Should Heart Attack Grill restaurant be shut as a health hazard?

Posted by Deborah Kotz March 8, 2011

"I'll admit that I never heard of Heart Attack Grill, a restaurant in Chandler, Arizona that serves 8,000-calorie "quadruple bypass burgers" until the restaurant's 575-pound spokesman died last week at age 29. While Blair River didn't die of a heart attack, doctors say his extreme obesity made it tough to overcome the pneumonia he developed and died from.

The whole macabre tale begs the question: Is there a limit to how disgustingly fattening restaurant foods can be? Should the Food and Drug Administration, state health regulators, Michelle Obama step in to shut places down that really and truly raise our heart attack risk every time we eat?

After all, New York City has banned smoking in pretty much all public places since the Surgeon General reported that even being exposed to just one cigarette can cause irreversible lung damage. And Boston is also considering such a ban.

Heart Attack Grill -- thankfully not a nationwide franchise -- is a hospital themed restaurant where waitresses dress as nurses, take orders on prescription pads, and wrap tags around patients', ahem, patrons' wrists showing which foods they ordered. The restaurant certainly can't be accused of false advertising with its "flatliner fries" made with pure lard or its jolt soda packed with caffeine and sugar.

Anyone who weighs in and tips the scale over 350 pounds before they order can eat a triple or quadruple bypass burger for free. And all customers, regardless of their weight, get pushed to their car in a wheelchair after they consume one of burgers that leaves them two to three pounds heavier.

It's all fun and games until someone loses a life.

What do you think? Should Heart Attack Grill be shut down as a health hazard or celebrated as the freedom to indulge that makes us American?"

I hope it remains open.

It might become franchise :D

Amazon.com: The Culture of Fear: Why Americans Are Afraid of the Wrong Things (9780465014903): Barry Glassner: Books

Are you serious? You are. God, dude, it's like this: if you eat more sugars and fats than your organs can process, you put a strain on them. Any food that causes continual spikes in blood glucose levels is going to cause your pancreas to work so much harder and the beta cells will eventually say, "we can't do this anymore". There is just nothing to dispute. What is wrong with your types for thinking otherwise? Saturated fats, sugars, high starch, it all leads to clogged arteries, a fatty heart, a pancreas that just cannot keep up, glaucoma, damaged vessels in your feet and maybe hands, sleep apnoea, thyroid function... you need more? Where's the conspiracy? These systems in the body are all linked. It's all very straight forward and clear. Medical science hasn't got this wrong, horseman. You have.

You really don't have an issue with rewarding people over 350 lbs with still more calories? It's like having an alcoholism-themed bar with free drinks for those who choose to fall off the wagon there. Opposing something like this is not at all saying that drinking in moderation or the occasional indulgence in a high-fat, high calorie meal should be banned.

Also, I'm not sure that your book really supports your point. In the reviews there's nothing that suggests American's concerns about the dangers of unhealthy diet are overstated. Have you read the book, and is that in fact one of the points Glassner makes?

Of course it's the iron horse endorsing a nutrition-centered book written by a history major :lol:

You know that scene in Mad Men when Don Draper says that all Americans want is to be told everything's alright? That makes me think of the Iron Horse, and it depresses the hell out of me.

Are you serious? You are. God, dude, it's like this: if you eat more sugars and fats than your organs can process, you put a strain on them. Any food that causes continual spikes in blood glucose levels is going to cause your pancreas to work so much harder and the beta cells will eventually say, "we can't do this anymore". There is just nothing to dispute. What is wrong with your types for thinking otherwise? Saturated fats, sugars, high starch, it all leads to clogged arteries, a fatty heart, a pancreas that just cannot keep up, glaucoma, damaged vessels in your feet and maybe hands, sleep apnoea, thyroid function... you need more? Where's the conspiracy? These systems in the body are all linked. It's all very straight forward and clear. Medical science hasn't got this wrong, horseman. You have.

How convenient that the iron horse didn't even acknowledge this post, let alone offer a meaningful response!

How convenient that the iron horse didn't even acknowledge this post, let alone offer a meaningful response!

My reply is moderation in all things.

My grandfather died at the age of 87 and his twin brother died at the age of 109.

They were moderate in all things and very physically active all their lives.

If your motto is moderation in all things, how could you possibly applaud the story about the Heart Attack Grill? Giving already obese customers a free burger that clocks in at 8,000 calories is the antithesis of moderation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom