The F$$d P$lice are C$ming

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But I think you're being a sushi snob. Have you been to Sushi Marche? It's delicious.

I truly don't care for it. To be fair, I am fine with most vegetarian sushi in Toronto, but I don't like the seafood sushi because I can tell that the fish is not fresh. It's simply not comparable to anything on the Pacific coast. Actually some of the best sushi I had was in Hawaii.

You can call it snobbery, but I also spent more than a decade living abroad on the coast where we ate fresh fish 5-6 times a week, so it's really not that hard to tell. :shrug:

There are many aspects to sushi besides just the freshness of the fish. My favorite is Unagi which doesn't matter about freshness because it's cooked.
From what I understand almost all tuna used in sushi is frozen, too. The couple of chefs I've spoken to about this say that it is difficult to get fresh tuna because more often than not, it is frozen on the boat. Salmon is a different story, freshness is huge.
We have an awesome fish monger here in Minneapolis, so many of our sushi restaurants are rather good.

A lot of it comes down to the experience of the chef--their choice of the cuts and the tightness of their rolls. Generally, you get what you pay for with sushi. Mostly, just avoid sushi on Sunday nights because almost no one gets fresh fish on Sundays.

Seattle has good sushi. :drool:

I was surprised on a recent trip to Wisconsin to find a couple sushi places. I was a bit skeptical, but saw they mainly focused on all sorts of rolls rather than sashimi, which seemed wise.

It was pretty tasty, although whoever came up with the idea to have a roll that included both tuna and cheddar cheese just for the sake of having a "Wisconsin Roll" should be dragged out into the street and shot.

Seattle has good sushi. :drool:

Yes, you do, and Vancouver, too.

I was surprised on a recent trip to Wisconsin to find a couple sushi places. I was a bit skeptical, but saw they mainly focused on all sorts of rolls rather than sashimi, which seemed wise.

It was pretty tasty, although whoever came up with the idea to have a roll that included both tuna and cheddar cheese just for the sake of having a "Wisconsin Roll" should be dragged out into the street and shot.

I have to say that an average local place has the Marilyn Mon-roll, a basic seaweed roll with chicken, asparagus and some sort of sauce inside. It's tasty. I have no idea why they decided on that name though.

You've got to love the local stuff though. I never thought I would see SPAM sushi until I went to Hawaii.

Why would you call the thread title a lie?
Because it is...:sad:

A Happy Meal from McDonalds has always included a small toy.
The law in San Francisco bans that from a Happy Meal.

The law, like an ordinance passed earlier this year in nearby Santa Clara County, would require that restaurant kids' meals meet certain nutritional standards before they could be sold with toys.

Once again you're not understanding your own source. If it meets the nutritional standards then it's sold with a toy.

Because it is...:sad:

Once again you're not understanding your own source. If it meets the nutritional standards then it's sold with a toy.

And once again, you are not reading what the link is saying or what I am trying say. It's about a regulation. It's about taking away choice.

Do you really believe a city government should be allowed to dictate this type of control over a restaurant about something this trivial?

And by the way, have you tried getting whole milk with your Happy Meal lately?

:)

I don't know why you guys find Iron Horse's threads so offensive. Take a few chill pills or something, seriously.

Also, Iron Horse, whatever else may be said about his threads and points of view, has a point about the low fat milk thing he keeps on about. Semi-skimmed milk is fucking horrible, frankly. It tastes like water with chemicals injected in it and goes off a in few days. It even goes off before the use by date. Proper milk on the other hand is both delicious and nutritious and keeps for a good ten days or so. Full fat milk is still available in Ireland, fortunately.

When I was young there were adverts with the slogan "Healthy kids drink litres, not pints of milk" whereas now milk is apparently a very very bad thing indeed and leads to all kinds of terrible diseases so there's a bit of inconsistency in the building about the health freakery brigade, me thinks.

Next year, another health scare. Maybe the fruit and veg will be found to be bad for us after all. Given the amount of chemicals that are pumped into them these days, I wouldn't be remotely surprised.

And once again, you are not reading what the link is saying or what I am trying say. It's about a regulation. It's about taking away choice.
NO, you're not reading or understanding. THERE IS NO BAN. If you're going to continue to use the word "ban" then you must learn what it means.

Is it about taking away choice or asking for more choices? Is it too much to ask for to put something of nutritional value in a child's meal? Fruit, veggies, etc... They can still eat fries and a fake burger, they have that choice, they just don't reward it with a toy.

Do you understand now?

Do you really believe a city government should be allowed to dictate this type of control over a restaurant over something this trivial?
I'm guessing you don't have kids, because I would never describe my child's nutrition as "trivial".

And by the way, have you tried getting whole milk with your Happy Meal lately?
:rolleyes:

When I was young there were adverts with the slogan "Healthy kids drink litres, not pints of milk" whereas now milk is apparently a very very bad thing indeed and leads to all kinds of terrible diseases so there's a bit of inconsistency in the building about the health freakery brigade, me thinks.

The truth is that most of the people on this earth cannot properly digest milk. Lactose tolerance is a trait which belongs almost exclusively to Europeans and even then, northern Europeans. So it does not surprise me that you saw those adverts as a child. The idea that we now put 5 servings of milk products as mandatory in the food guide when most of humanity cannot actually tolerate it is a reflection of the power of the dairy lobby.

There have also been many studies that have taken a forensic look at food allergies and food intolerance and they consistently show that these arose at roughly the same time when humans started consuming cow's milk. There is very good science out there that can be used to support the notion that milk should not be pushed on the general populace the way that it is. But I am sure that you have never heard such things from iron horse whose main problem in life seems to be that schools don't necessarily think that it's always best for a nation of obese American children to be ingesting 3-4x more butterfat.

And I don't find this thread offensive; I find the title hopelessly misleading, which frankly is par for the course with iron horse.

The truth is that most of the people on this earth cannot properly digest milk. Lactose tolerance is a trait which belongs almost exclusively to Europeans and even then, northern Europeans. So it does not surprise me that you saw those adverts as a child. The idea that we now put 5 servings of milk products as mandatory in the food guide when most of humanity cannot actually tolerate it is a reflection of the power of the dairy lobby.

Well, I didn't know that. That's quite interesting. :hmm:

I don't know why you guys find Iron Horse's threads so offensive. Take a few chill pills or something, seriously.

Also, Iron Horse, whatever else may be said about his threads and points of view, has a point about the low fat milk thing he keeps on about. Semi-skimmed milk is fucking horrible, frankly. It tastes like water with chemicals injected in it and goes off a in few days. It even goes off before the use by date. Proper milk on the other hand is both delicious and nutritious and keeps for a good ten days or so. Full fat milk is still available in Ireland, fortunately.

Next year, another health scare. Maybe the fruit and veg will be found to be bad for us after all. Given the amount of chemicals that are pumped into them these days, I wouldn't be remotely surprised.

I find no offense to his threads, but to how he presents his threads; it's a constant manipulation of the truth, and sometimes flat out lies.

The chef there was trained by this guy, so I can assure you it's not sketch

Masaharu Morimoto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's the best place in Toronto

Nice. :up:

One thing I saw Morimoto do on Iron Chef that I like to copy is Roasted Pepper Nigiri. You roast red peppers (green is fun and bizarre, too), marinate them (soy sauce, seasoned rice vinegar, etc.), cut them to sushi size and then shape them into nice pieces of nigiri with the sushi rice--wasabi underneath optional.

They make great appetizers, especially for people who don't think they like sushi. The color of the marinated roasted pepper looks like beautiful red tuna meat.

That is very interesting information regarding lactose tolerance, anitram, I didn't know that, either. I've never had a problem digesting milk or any other dairy products (I HATE the fat-free stuff, it tastes blech), but then again, I'm of complete European descent, so that would probably explain why. What exactly is the reason why one group can digest milk properly but others can't?

Is it too much to ask for to put something of nutritional value in a child's meal?

I've always thought it was rather strange that we are relying on a fast-food restaurant to lead kids to healthy eating. When exactly has McDonald's ever advertised itself as a healthy choice for people? Their food is greasy, that alone should be a tip-off. If you don't want your kids to eat McDonald's food, just don't go there :shrug:. Go buy healthy food wherever you're able to and then make it at home and serve it to your kids. Put it in their lunches they take to school. Whatever.

I can understand the attention paid to what food is being served to kids at school. You have to go to school. You don't have to go to McDonald's.

Angela

I've always thought it was rather strange that we are relying on a fast-food restaurant to lead kids to healthy eating. When exactly has McDonald's ever advertised itself as a healthy choice for people? Their food is greasy, that alone should be a tip-off. If you don't want your kids to eat McDonald's food, just don't go there :shrug:. Go buy healthy food wherever you're able to and then make it at home and serve it to your kids. Put it in their lunches they take to school. Whatever.

I agree, and no one said that we're "relying" on fast food to do this, but let's face it too many kids are relying on happy meals. There's a few reasons for this, different paced lifestyle, parents not being educated enough to know what they are feeding their kids, etc...

Should we allow cigarettes being marketed to kids? So why are we allowing this poison being marketed to kids as real food?

it's not just kids who need to know this shit. after high school and entering university, every single one of my friends (and myself) gained a disgusting amount of weight becausr of the sudden extra availability of that shit.

one way or another, we've got ourselves together....but if a pack of smart teens (we were, stfu) can't keep ourselves in control, how are the kids going to cope?

Did you see Supersize Me? Did it not poison him?

that was a fucking dumb movie. i didn't need to watch a 90 minute doco to know that you would become very ill if you ate nothing but maccas for breakfast, lunch and tea for a month. who eats it that often? i'd be willing to bet no one.

it's not just kids who need to know this shit. after high school and entering university, every single one of my friends (and myself) gained a disgusting amount of weight becausr of the sudden extra availability of that shit.

not working for me!

that was a fucking dumb movie. i didn't need to watch a 90 minute doco to know that you would become very ill if you ate nothing but maccas for breakfast, lunch and tea for a month. who eats it that often? i'd be willing to bet no one.

The human body can survive a lot of poisons in small doses, but it's still poison.

If you saw the movie, he didn't even make it a month before he had big health issues. I know plenty of people who almost eat it that often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom