The F$$d P$lice are C$ming

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I gave up soda several years ago and I'm so glad I did. The most I ever have now is that snack size ginger ale once in a great while and I feel guilty about even that-but it's good for settling your stomach.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to give up coffee

My wife gave up Diet Coke and cut back on her coffee. I'm not sure what alien/demon force has taken over her body, but it's all good for now.

sounds right to me. anything that tries to argue it's point by saying the other point of view is "stupid" is hardly empirical.

nor are pages that look like they were made on geocities back in the 90s, imo.

The current 2010 issue of Good Housekeeping magazine has a very long and well written article titled "The Shocking Truth About Salt"

It exposes the false information about salt (the health scares) and why we are dancing on uncharted waters trying to limit salt in our diets.

The human body needs salt.

It exposes the false information about salt (the health scares) and why we are dancing on uncharted waters trying to limit salt in our diets.

The human body does need salt, but a pretty small amount, and yes too much is unhealty so this article would be BS if it was trying to say that limiting salt in our diets is bad.

The other issue with salt is that there is a difference between table salt and natural salts, the additives in table salt that are used to make the grains non-stick so it pours easy settle in the blood stream and cause blockages.

Since we are all but masturbating here about soda...

I miss the 8-packs of glass bottles. I don't like Coke, so there's nothing satisfying about their glass or the Mexican Coke imports in the store. Remember when Pepsi had the sweepstakes with letters under the bottle caps? Awesome.

And if you wanted to be ass? Pop the bottle cap off a glass bottle of Pepsi, put your thumb over the top, shake it up and spray your brother or friend like they deserved. Perfect weapon.

Years and years ago now, somehow my brother and I found a gas station in northern Iowa that still had Mt. Dew in glass bottles. We would drive down there (from Minneapolis) every couple of months and buy all they had. :drool:

And good Root Beer from a glass bottle? :drool::drool::drool:

Okay, I'm done. :D

The other issue with salt is that there is a difference between table salt and natural salts, the additives in table salt that are used to make the grains non-stick so it pours easy settle in the blood stream and cause blockages.

I hadn't heard that.

I know they iodize salt so that people get it in their diets, but if you don't use table salt, then... :shrug: ... other sources?

Since we are all but masturbating here about soda...

I miss the 8-packs of glass bottles. I don't like Coke, so there's nothing satisfying about their glass or the Mexican Coke imports in the store. Remember when Pepsi had the sweepstakes with letters under the bottle caps? Awesome.

And if you wanted to be ass? Pop the bottle cap off a glass bottle of Pepsi, put your thumb over the top, shake it up and spray your brother or friend like they deserved. Perfect weapon.

Years and years ago now, somehow my brother and I found a gas station in northern Iowa that still had Mt. Dew in glass bottles. We would drive down there (from Minneapolis) every couple of months and buy all they had. :drool:

And good Root Beer from a glass bottle? :drool::drool::drool:

Okay, I'm done. :D

I agree that sodas taste much better in glass bottles.

I don't know why here in the U.S. the big soda companies don't understand this.

Yeah, it's cheap to sell a big 2 liter plastic bottle to insure mass consumption,
but why not go with quality taste and moderation?

Glass can be recyclyed over and over.

Plastic , I think, is a lot more pollutive.

You're wrong.

Plastic takes a lot less energy to recycle than glass.

It also decomposes in about half the time.

did you even read this before posting it?

your source doesn't identify which takes more/less energy to recycle, however glass requires more energy to recycle.

and your source says glass will sit in a landfill indefinitely:
Glass is an inert substance and so is not directly harmful to the environment but it is not degradable either so if sent to a landfill site it will stay there indefinitely which is a real shame because glass is such an easy and very useful material which can be recycled over and over again without any loss to quality.

i think you just have a list of things you like -- soda, smoking, salt -- and you search out information that just confirms your biases.

which is fine. i like salt too. but i'm not going to pretend that the job of science is to tell me what i want to hear, and i'm not going to pretend that science is just a bunch of pinhead no-fun angrypants who somehow think they know more than you do.

how about we just make all insurance companies pay for gym memberships... then if fatty doesn't want to work out it's his/her own fault.

This is an interesting discussion in itself.
Most of our local health ins. companies will give you a $20 credit toward your gym membership if you go a minimum of 8-12 times per month.
So, I go to my YWCA, work-out fairly hard for 2 hours, but usually can only make it 10 times per month (My Health Partners requires 12 visits/month). However, there are dozens of guys who are rather hefty and haven't lost an ounce of fat or gained a fiber of muscle in the years I've been going who go every day or every other day and only sit in the sauna or hot tub. :shrug:
They get the discount; I don't.

Also, I was in physical therapy last summer for my back. My insurance covered part of it, but each session, the therapist would tell me what areas to work on between visits and which muscles to strengthen, etc.
Does health ins. cover personal trainers? No.
Can I write off personal training fees on my taxes? No.
Can I write off physical therapy fees on my taxes? Yes.

:banghead:

We seem to have no interest in really getting people healthy or even putting the right incentives in place to help those that help themselves.

how about we just make all insurance companies pay for gym memberships... then if fatty doesn't want to work out it's his/her own fault.

What about walking to the store that is only four blocks away? No need to take your car. I see people my age and older, all the time walking to the mall or K-Mart. Both of which are within a few blocks. Younger people always take their car. To buy a pair of shoes?

I can understand it. If you heavy items you can carry home. Such as furniture or a TV. But, PJ's and a pair of shoes. Come on. It's a nice day outside. Take a walk.

I'll be 54 next month and am not over weight. A slender, athletic built, as my DR. says. I have always been active. I am controlling my genetic, pre-type 2 diabetes and have actually reversed it with diet and exercise. No meds so far. Not easy. But, I do it.

That was then -- when men were men.

And women were barefoot and pregnant and blacks sat at the back of the bus and gays lived in the closet. What a utopia!

You know Associated Content is a pageview mill, right?

If you weren't just about the last wacky conservative around FYM you'd be suspended for trolling and not providing any kind of content beyond links to shady articles.

I think the mods are keeping you around so FYM doesn't become more of a liberal circlejerk than it already is.

It's a shame there aren't really many genuinely intelligent conservatives around FYM who can have a decent discussion or at least provide some basic context to the random crap they hotlink to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom