The F$$d P$lice are C$ming

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i don't see any link between hfcs in drinks and obesity. we use actual sugar in our drinks and our obesity rates are right up there with the united states.

at least we're fattening ourselves up on shit that tastes good.

i don't see any link between hfcs in drinks and obesity. we use actual sugar in our drinks and our obesity rates are right up there with the united states.

It's all the good cheese on your Lamburgers.

:drool::drool::drool:

If you do some research online, you can find a spike in the rate of obesity with the introduction of HFTCS in foods.

It's not only in most sodas, but in most breads and a ton of other food products.

If you do some research online, you can find a spike in the rate of obesity with the introduction of HFTCS in foods.

It's not only in most sodas, but in most breads and a ton of other food products.
Causation versus correlation; there is an important difference.

I question why you take issue with this when it's public funds being given as welfare. As a libertarian don't you have an issue with people wasting taxpayers money on non-essentials like soft drinks?

For folks on food stamps in the inner city, it's often cheaper to buy unhealthy/junk food to feed their fat, diabetic kids than it is to make healthy nutritional choices at the supermarket.

Do these fattys also need to get out on the court a bit more and play less XBox? Aboslutely.

This food stamp change is only one small step. The real battle is getting decent, healthy, fresh produce and meat in the poor neighbourhoods.

Can America's Urban Food Deserts Bloom? - TIME

This food stamp change is only one small step. The real battle is getting decent, healthy, fresh produce and meat in the poor neighbourhoods.

Can America's Urban Food Deserts Bloom? - TIME

I just heard a story about this on public radio. There just are not enough grocery stores inside cities. That's part of the reason you see so many corner bodegas--so not only is junk food more accessible, it's more expensive than a regular grocery, too.

Target is doing something about this. Many of their stores (all in the U.S. soon?) are starting to carry a limited amount of fresh meat and produce.

The other thing that drives me crazy is the quality of the produce in grocery stores. I usually shop in my rather urban grocery stores, but sometimes I go out to the suburbs while shopping. Almost without variation, suburban grocery stores of the same chain have fresher, better-looking produce the the urban ones.

:doh:

BVS asked

BTW, are you ever going come back to the GOP thread and post a link that shows where the Federal Government banned butter? Or are you just railing against a lie?

I said that the federal regulations banned butter from being used in public school lunch programs. They can use magarine.

On our menus at school in small print at the bottom it states that federal
law prohibits carbonated drinks in the cafeteria.

No need to fear though, the kids are drinking milk and using salad dressings sweetened with HFTCS.

All of this is nonsense.

The major reason so many students are obese is lack of physical activity.
Recess has just about been eliminated in most schools and a lot of time in gym classes is spent just standing around.

Thirty years ago kids were a lot more active.
Drinking whole milk at school and sodas sweetened with cane sugar.
Very few were obese.

A lot of student's time is now spent in front of a TV or a computer screen.

Making the right choices in eating healthy is good, but I don't think the obesity problem can be solved by simply banning certain food items.

We all need to move more!

PepsiCo introduced Sierra Mist Natural a few weeks ago.
It's the first soda offered by a major soda company, since the early
1980s, that does not use HFTCS.

Iron Horse,

I think you have brought up a great point. It was very unusual for a kid to be morbidly obese when I was growing up. We drank whole milk, 2% didn't exist yet and we used butter. We played outside burning off those calories. We ate home cooked meals. There were very few fast food resturants back then. We drank soda but not everyday, since it was a treat. Fresh fruit were our snacks, not fries and a double whopper.

Dr.s are seeing teenagers with Type 2 Diabetes and High Blood Pressure. These are middle age diseases. Thirty, forty years ago, this was never heard of. Children of course could be Type 1 Diabetic or have low blood sugar. But, Type 2, never.

I developed Pre-Type 2 Diabetes at age fifty. Due to pre-menopause, hereditary factors and a diabetic pregnancy. I controll by blood sugar levels with diet and exercise, plus I mantain a healthy weight. No meds were needed and my sugar levels have returned to normal.

Causation versus correlation; there is an important difference.

I question why you take issue with this when it's public funds being given as welfare. As a libertarian don't you have an issue with people wasting taxpayers money on non-essentials like soft drinks?

Plus there's the argument that it's our car dependent lifestyles that lead to obesity.

Governments investing in public transport, particularly rail, is good for the health of the populace as at least people will walk to the nearest train station instead of just getting into their cars - which presumably a true libertarian like Iron Horse opposes, as government must not be spending taxpayers money on such frivolous non-essentials as a good railway system.

Iron Horse,

I think you have brought up a great point. It was very unusual for a kid to be morbidly obese when I was growing up. We drank whole milk, 2% didn't exist yet and we used butter. We played outside burning off those calories. We ate home cooked meals. There were very few fast food resturants back then. We drank soda but not everyday, since it was a treat. Fresh fruit were our snacks, not fries and a double whopper.

Growing up, Saturday night was pizza night (which half of the time we made ourselves, the other half was split between frozen or take-out), and starting when I was 10 or 12, we got to ration 2 sodas for the weekend.

McDonald's was reserved for special occasions or long shopping trips (so once about every 2-3 weeks).

But, I ate PB&Js like crazy matched only by the gallons of milk to down them. Grape juice and apple cider ran through my veins as much as milk did. And, I swear my brother and I would just split a box of cereal every morning, using mixing bowls instead of regular bowls.
However, I played outside by myself or with neighbor kids every nice day, and I played soccer from the age of 5 up to high school. I was always in very good shape.

Now, my nephews get winded climbing stairs.

I said that the federal regulations banned butter from being used in public school lunch programs. They can use magarine.

No, actually you said it was banned from public school lunches, not lunch programs. BIG difference.

You do understand what's going on right? They've only banned these foods when it's the taxdollars paying for it.

This is not some example of the boogey man food police impeding on your choices.

Growing up, Saturday night was pizza night (which half of the time we made ourselves, the other half was split between frozen or take-out), and starting when I was 10 or 12, we got to ration 2 sodas for the weekend.

McDonald's was reserved for special occasions or long shopping trips (so once about every 2-3 weeks).

But, I ate PB&Js like crazy matched only by the gallons of milk to down them. Grape juice and apple cider ran through my veins as much as milk did. And, I swear my brother and I would just split a box of cereal every morning, using mixing bowls instead of regular bowls.
However, I played outside by myself or with neighbor kids every nice day, and I played soccer from the age of 5 up to high school. I was always in very good shape.

Now, my nephews get winded climbing stairs.

Saturday nights were steamed shrimp and a glass of soda. The homemade pizza kits during the late sixties were really gross. Chef boy r dee. So we didn't eat them. We ate hot and cold cereals. Always topped with fresh fruit. I adore bananas on corn flakes and especially berries with Irish oatmeal. My comfort food.

Eggs, bacon and toast were a special, Sunday morning breakfast, after church. We walked to school and weather permiting, always played outside. I loved riding my bike and roller skating. I was great at kick ball. Those ballet classes really payed off!

I still walk to the K-Mart or shopping mall. Both are several blocks away. No need to take the car. Unless, I am buying something which is heavy for me to carry home.

The other thing that drives me crazy is the quality of the produce in grocery stores. I usually shop in my rather urban grocery stores, but sometimes I go out to the suburbs while shopping. Almost without variation, suburban grocery stores of the same chain have fresher, better-looking produce the the urban ones.

i go to a small asian supermarket chain for my fruit, veges and selected meats. massive jump in quality and massive reduction in price.

Plus there's the argument that it's our car dependent lifestyles that lead to obesity.

Governments investing in public transport, particularly rail, is good for the health of the populace as at least people will walk to the nearest train station instead of just getting into their cars - which presumably a true libertarian like Iron Horse opposes, as government must not be spending taxpayers money on such frivolous non-essentials as a good railway system.

I think you have a good point here.

I see young parents picking up their children at school with their car, mini vans, etc. When the child lives well within a moderate walking distance.

I can understand it. If it is bad weather. But, on a daily basis? It isn't needed. Why not walk to the school, pick up your child and walk home together. Talk with them. The memories will be precious.

Unfortunately, there's also the fact that some people live in areas where walking home isn't exactly the safest way to travel. I'll gladly walk around my town when possible, and I'm taking public transportation partly because I don't have a driver's license (and do like taking it) and partly because, even if I did, we have no working cars right now anyway. But there are parts of my town that I wouldn't really feel comfortable walking through. Especially at night.

I fully support taking walks, or carpooling, and stuff of that nature. Absolutely, go for it if you can-the benefits are worth it. Just that, unfortunately, in some places, that's easier said than done.

Angela

i go to a small asian supermarket chain for my fruit, veges and selected meats. massive jump in quality and massive reduction in price.

We have a pretty awesome Asian grocery store in our neighborhood, and it's the size of a small-ish regular grocery store. The two problems are that you would NEVER find it unless someone showed you where it was (it's tucked back in a small industrial area), and the public transit isn't as convenient for it as it is with our other grocery stores.

So many inner city people don't have cars, often have a kid or two in tow, and they need the most convenient location for stores possible.

But truthfully, Minnesota's mediocre, urban grocery stores are still probably light years ahead of many other cities' stores.

good.

this doesn't take away personal choice. you can still choose to be a fatty fatty boom batty... just not going to pay for it with state and city funds.

considering that if you're getting food stamps from the state there's a fairly good chance that the government may also be paying for your health care when needed, so yea...

good.

this doesn't take away personal choice. you can still choose to be a fatty fatty boom batty... just not going to pay for it with state and city funds.

considering that if you're getting food stamps from the state there's a fairly good chance that the government may also be paying for your health care when needed, so yea...

How about making them walk to the government office to pick up the food stamps, too?

Just sayin'...

I'm for a strong social safety net, but some effort on the part of those needing assistance isn't a crime.

Speaking of government-assisted healthcare...instead of having our ERs flooded with the uninsured, why not have state university medical and dental students practice in some free clinics? --good experience for the students, possibly good healthcare for the uninsured.

(Although I'm for Universal Healthcare.)

Speaking of government-assisted healthcare...instead of having our ERs flooded with the uninsured, why not have state university medical and dental students practice in some free clinics? --good experience for the students, possibly good healthcare for the uninsured.

Kind of like the haircuts one gets at the local beauty school?

I knew there was a reason diet drinks sucked :p.

Seriously, though, if Glenn seems to be having some eye and throat troubles, sorry to hear that and I hope he gets the problems sorted out. But that site-while I'm certainly not going to argue that we have crap being put in our food and drink that doesn't need to be there (though I'm not helping matters by consuming some of that stuff), uh, yeah. Wow. Paranoid much?

Angela

I've been off Diet Coke (and aspartame) since the beginning of summer. Not that I was a total addict, but I tried it again a couple of weeks ago and felt sick the next day.

Glenn Beck routinely attracts millions of viewers every week. If he understands his medical problems may be directly linked to aspartame and he informs his audience of this, it will be a major victory for truth and a massive defeat for the elite eugenicists and their long held plan to not only enslave humanity, but reduce its numbers significantly.

The Illuminati are indeed fiendish and cunning.

glen beck
On the air 1977 - 2010
never forget

✈ ▌▌
HERO

The Nazis have taken his eyes :(

The website is designed for conspiracy nuts. The guy who runs it has made a small fortune on spreading the conspiracy that 911 was an inside job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom