The F$$d P$lice are C$ming

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
it's all about Big Corn. :fist:

i blame people who live in big, flat, square states.

Minnesota has a couple of lovely pointy ends on it, thank you. :D

This is part of the reason I'm for lots of Ethanol. The less corn we eat (it's in effing everything) and the less foreign oil we use the better.

I'm sure HFCS vs. cane/beet sugar involves insulin production somehow, but really it does come down to eating fewer calories. I think I read that the U.S. has 8,000 calories per person per day on grocery store shelves. Obviously, few people are eating that many calories, but for shit's sake, calories are all around us, easily available and CHEAP.

i love the fact that we live in a country where we recognize that there is an obesity crisis, especially in our youth, yet at the same time are not allowed to criticize someone for being a big fat fattie boombattie.

it's a fairly simple thing. we're fatter because we're lazier. we're not as active as we once were, plain and simple. there was bad shit to eat 50 years ago, too.

michael phelps eats like an absolute pig, but, and i'm sure irvine could post a few pics if you'd like :wink: , he looks like a greek god.

why? calories in, calories out. he uses up more than he eats... a lot more.

when i was a college athlete, i was in unbelievable shape. today? not so much. decent, still stay active, but not nearly where i once was. why? i'm not as active as i used to be. it's not big corn's fault. it's mine.

i had video games as a kid... i had a tv in my room.. my parents always had the cubbards fully stocked, and plenty of high fructose crap to go around. i had mcdonalds, pizza, soda, yodells... all that good shit. but i was in tremendous shape throughout my childhood. what was the big secret? my parents told me to get off my ass and go play. fairly simple. all the kids in my neighborhood would go down to the park and play baseball, basketball, football, street hockey, kill the man with the ball, etc. etc. etc.

now when i drive past that same park? it's empty, other than organized leagues.

we're fat because we're lazy. kids are lazy because their parents let them be that way.

get'cha play 60 on.

i love the fact that we live in a country where we recognize that there is an obesity crisis, especially in our youth, yet at the same time are not allowed to criticize someone for being a big fat fattie boombattie.

The way a lot of people choose to "criticize" an overweight person these days seems to be through shame and name-calling.

People seem to forget they're not talking to/about an example of a health risk, they're talking to/about human beings.

I put on ten pounds so far in college, but considering I entered college in a category of "unhealthily thin," I think it's probably not a health risk.

Here is a health tip for those interested.
I am a big fan of Agave Nectar for sweetening my coffee and tea.

HFCS is awful, sugar is less awful, but still awful since both raise your glycemic index pretty high which is not good for you at all.

Agave nectar is not calorie free but it is natural and it will not raise your glycemic index as much. I believe there was a recent study that said it was safe for even diabetics to use.

The good thing about the nectar is that it has no taste and it's twice as sweet as sugar. It's looks like a lighter version of honey, but not as thick.

I love it!

Here is a health tip for those interested.
I am a big fan of Agave Nectar for sweetening my coffee and tea.

HFCS is awful, sugar is less awful, but still awful since both raise your glycemic index pretty high which is not good for you at all.

Agave nectar is not calorie free but it is natural and it will not raise your glycemic index as much. I believe there was a recent study that said it was safe for even diabetics to use.

The good thing about the nectar is that it has no taste and it's twice as sweet as sugar. It's looks like a lighter version of honey, but not as thick.

I love it!

I bought some organic agave nectar from Costco. I've been wanting to try it. We'll see.

As someone who has struggled with his weight in recent years, I can say that high fructose corn syrup is the devil. I love an occasional soda, but I had to cut down because of my health.

Back when they used REAL sugar in Coca Cola, the obesity rates weren't at the height they are now. Even Diet Soda is bad for you, since the artificial sweeteners contain chemicals that damage your body (it personally gives me tinnitus for a few hours.)

But the soda companies want you to believe that there is no problem. That's how they got off on saying that the fake stuff is healthier than REAL sugar.

I don't know about the "food police." But, when you buy package food. Sugars, fats, etc. are listed and it is your responsibility to read the label. I have blood sugar problems. So, I have to look for how many grams of sugar are in my foods. I prefer fresh fruit and veggies over canned of course. Healthier and better tasting. And I am not medically obese. Never have been.

I'm sick of some Americans blaming their food. Instead of looking at the issues at hand. Take control of your own life. Stop eating all that fast food garbage and instead of playing video games all day. Get off you arse and take a walk. You might meet some real friends and not just internet ones.

Note.....my post is not directed at any one here. In the U.S. morbid obesity with young people is becoming a health problem. There are some who are in their early twenties and are having serious health issues. They shouldn't have for another twenty years or so. Type 2 Diabetes, though genetic. Is much harder to control and causes more damage. If you are seriously overweight and barely away from your teenage years. In generations past, most people who would develope this were well over thirty five. And usually of a healthy weight. They would live with Type 2 diabetes, not so much, die from it.

As someone who has struggled with his weight in recent years, I can say that high fructose corn syrup is the devil. I love an occasional soda, but I had to cut down because of my health.

Back when they used REAL sugar in Coca Cola, the obesity rates weren't at the height they are now. Even Diet Soda is bad for you, since the artificial sweeteners contain chemicals that damage your body (it personally gives me tinnitus for a few hours.)

But the soda companies want you to believe that there is no problem. That's how they got off on saying that the fake stuff is healthier than REAL sugar.

Same here......but I worry about what ingredients are in it. Plus, diet drinks have too much salt. I think if a drink is going to be sweet. It would be better to use real sugar than some sort of chemical that only a scientist would know what it is. Plus, for all of us diabetics. We have to be careful. Artificial sweetners can be worst than the real thing.

Take a look at "no sugar added" ice cream. It has around the same amount of sugars as the regular ice cream.

Same here......but I worry about what ingredients are in it. Plus, diet drinks have too much salt. I think if a drink is going to be sweet. It would be better to use real sugar than some sort of chemical that only a scientist would know what it is. Plus, for all of us diabetics. We have to be careful. Artificial sweetners can be worst than the real thing.

Take a look at "no sugar added" ice cream. It has around the same amount of sugars as the regular ice cream.

Agreed. I have a family history of diabetes: my mom, grandma, aunt, and uncle all have it, so I'm guessing it's a matter of time before I get it, too.

I am praying that you beat the odds......but, if you don't. It is not your fault. Doctors are diagnosing the disease much earlier and are able with diet, medication (if needed) and moderate exercise such as walking and swimming, to control it much better. It is no longer a "death sentence."

I know folks who are in their eighties and nineties who have Type 2 Diabetes. Of course, they were screened for it, decades, prior. But, my point is. They are living healthy and long lives.

I'm sick of some Americans blaming their food.

I will say there is one "food" that is definitely worth blaming: partially hydrogenated oils.

I have cut them out of my diet--fairly easily. Now, I can taste when I eat something that has it in it, and my stomach feels upset for about a half a day. There has been a good public campaign to rid of of them, but these oils are in tons of baked goods. It's horrible because when you crave a cookie or something and the bakery case is calling, there is no labeling to tell you if the baked stuff has partially hydrogenated oils.

Agreed. I have a family history of diabetes: my mom, grandma, aunt, and uncle all have it, so I'm guessing it's a matter of time before I get it, too.

Here is something to think about. I was diagnosed with Pre-Type 2 Diabetes, three years ago. I have several genetic risk factors. Family history, Low Blood Sugar in my teens and twenties, mother and sibling with diabetes, then a pregnancy. Where as, I developed full blown Type 2.

Anyway, I noticed that when I drank or ate foods with no sugar added. It did not lower my blood sugar. So, instead I will eat a piece of regular candy and now, my blood sugar is the best it has been in three years. Real sugar, in moderation, is fine for me. Plus, of course, I eat healthy and walk on a daily basis.

I will say there is one "food" that is definitely worth blaming: partially hydrogenated oils.

I have cut them out of my diet--fairly easily. Now, I can taste when I eat something that has it in it, and my stomach feels upset for about a half a day. There has been a good public campaign to rid of of them, but these oils are in tons of baked goods. It's horrible because when you crave a cookie or something and the bakery case is calling, there is no labeling to tell you if the baked stuff has partially hydrogenated oils.

You are right! I didn't even think of that. Thanks so much for the info! :hug:

Here is something to think about. I was diagnosed with Pre-Type 2 Diabetes, three years ago. I have several genetic risk factors. Family history, Low Blood Sugar in my teens and twenties, mother and sibling with diabetes, then a pregnancy. Where as, I developed full blown Type 2.

Anyway, I noticed that when I drank or ate foods with no sugar added. It did not lower my blood sugar. So, instead I will eat a piece of regular candy and now, my blood sugar is the best it has been in three years. Real sugar, in moderation, is fine for me. Plus, of course, I eat healthy and walk on a daily basis.

Have you noticed whether cinnamon helps with your blood sugar level?

I'm not sure about cinnamon. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt. But, by eating a product made with real sugar. It satisfies my cravings and I eat much less of it. Than the synthetic stuff. I want to thank the poster from a few pages back. In regards to Kosher sodas. Jewish foods are healthier.

I'm not sure about cinnamon. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt. But, by eating a product made with real sugar. It satisfies my cravings and I eat much less of it. Than the synthetic stuff. I want to thank the poster from a few pages back. In regards to Kosher sodas. Jewish foods are healthier.
that was me, and no problem. :wink:

i'm honestly just curious though and do not mean any offense, but why do you type like this?

When it's the state's money you don't think they should have a say?

When the bank lends you money they often tell ask first what you're going to spend it on, should they not be allowed?

BTW, are you ever going come back to the GOP thread and post a link that shows where the Federal Government banned butter? Or are you just railing against a lie?

I'm all for personal choice but I guess I don't see the harm. I guess I don't really care.... There are already other programs like WIC where you can only get certain items.

I can't believe you can buy sugary stuff with food stamps in NY.
You should see the restrictions for food stamps here in Minnesota--pretty tight, and we produce a lot of sugar and HFCS for the processed food shit.

It seems to not matter though, standing behind people in the grocery store using their subsidy card, the cash always comes out for the soda, chips and cigarettes anyway.

Ban away NY. :up:

Bloomie is one of these reformed smoker types, they often tend to become health fanatics.

Good guy otherwise.

BVS asked

BTW, are you ever going come back to the GOP thread and post a link that shows where the Federal Government banned butter? Or are you just railing against a lie?

I said that the federal regulations banned butter from being used in public school lunch programs. They can use magarine.

On our menus at school in small print at the bottom it states that federal
law prohibits carbonated drinks in the cafeteria.

No need to fear though, the kids are drinking milk and using salad dressings sweetened with HFTCS.

All of this is nonsense.

The major reason so many students are obese is lack of physical activity.
Recess has just about been eliminated in most schools and a lot of time in gym classes is spent just standing around.

Thirty years ago kids were a lot more active.
Drinking whole milk at school and sodas sweetened with cane sugar.
Very few were obese.

A lot of student's time is now spent in front of a TV or a computer screen.

Making the right choices in eating healthy is good, but I don't think the obesity problem can be solved by simply banning certain food items.

We all need to move more!

PepsiCo introduced Sierra Mist Natural a few weeks ago.
It's the first soda offered by a major soda company, since the early
1980s, that does not use HFTCS.

BVS asked

I said that the federal regulations banned butter from being used in public school lunch programs. They can use magarine.

On our menus at school in small print at the bottom it states that federal
law prohibits carbonated drinks in the cafeteria.

No need to fear though, the kids are drinking milk and using salad dressings sweetened with HFTCS.

All of this is nonsense.

The major reason so many students are obese is lack of physical activity.
Recess has just about been eliminated in most schools and a lot of time in gym classes is spent just standing around.

Thirty years ago kids were a lot more active.
Drinking whole milk at school and sodas sweetened with cane sugar.
Very few were obese.

A lot of student's time is now spent in front of a TV or a computer screen.

Making the right choices in eating healthy is good, but I don't think the obesity problem can be solved by simply banning certain food items.

We all need to move more!

PepsiCo introduced Sierra Mist Natural a few weeks ago.
It's the first soda offered by a major soda company, since the early
1980s, that does not use HFTCS.

Can't disagree with the lack of activity. I think of the one "fat" kid in my elementary class growing up (1977-1986), and she wouldn't even register these days.

You can't count out some of the insulin studies about HFCS though. Is it the reason kids are fat? Kind of. Is it a bad idea to avoid it? Not at all.

We've had "Retro" Pepsi, Mt. Dew and Dr. Pepper around for about the last year. It's amazing how different and better it tastes. I don't really drink soda anymore, but it was nice to try the "old" stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom