The F$$d P$lice are C$ming - Page 60 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2012, 10:33 AM   #886
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:16 AM
wcvb.com

Doctor refuses to treat overweight Shrewsbury patient
Worcester doctor said woman weighed over 200 pounds

UPDATED 6:30 PM EDT Aug 24, 2012
SHREWSBURY, Mass. -

Ida Davidson is the first to admit her weight goes up and down, but the Shrewsbury resident said she was stunned when a new primary care physician said she could not become a patient because she weighed more than 200 pounds.

"I can't believe and I did say that out loud, 'I can't believe you guys just said that to me.' I have never heard anything so ridiculous in my life," Davidson said.

Davidson said she is a "little overweight." The incident on Wednesday occurred during a second visit to Dr. Helen M. Carter at the doctor's Worcester office.

Davidson said she believes, "I may be high risk for her and too much work is what I felt."

She said Carter focused on weight.

According to Davidson, "She's like, 'You gained weight, are your feet swollen, are your feet swollen?' I said 'No.' She was really obsessed about the whole thing and me being in her office and she didn't want to care for me."

Carter told NewsCenter 5 it's a matter of "self preservation for herself and her employees."

"After three consecutive injuries (with other patients) trying to care for people over 250 pounds, my office is unable to accommodate a certain weight and we put a limit on it," Carter said.

The policy may be unusual, but it is not illegal.

The American Medical Association's Council on Ethics and Judicial Affairs policy reads "Both patients and physicians should be able to exercise freedom in whom to enter into a patient-physician relationship ... physicians do not give up their freedom of association by merely becoming professionals."

Davidson said her situation was not handled with compassion, adding, "She didn't care about my health that day. I think she just cared that I was a liability to her and maybe too much work."

Carter said she "doesn't consider it discriminatory," adding that patients have alternatives. She said she spends a lot of time educating patients, "It's not so much your weight, it's the morbidity."

Davidson has vowed to find a new doctor.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:24 PM   #887
Acrobat

Local Time: 05:16 AM
I don't see a problem with that considering all the liability involved. It's not like other doctors don't exist. The woman is a lot more than "a little overweight" if you look at her pictures and her weight in pounds--unless she's over six foot 200lbs is not normal or a little overweight. She went to see a doctor, didn't like what the doctor had to say.. and is now challenging the doctor? I just don't get that. There are much better facilities in the area she can go to.

Old 09-12-2012, 05:07 PM   #888
Blue Crack Addict

Available only at Target

Old 09-13-2012, 03:00 PM   #889
Blue Crack Addict

New York Soda Ban

By Jill Colvin, DNAinfo Reporter/Producer

NEW YORK CITY — Say goodbye to venti Frappuccinos, gallon movie theater slurpees and big sodas.

The city's Board of Health approved Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s ban on large sugar-sweetened drinks at its monthly meeting Thursday morning. Nine members voted for it, and one abstained.

Under the plan, all restaurants, fast-food joints, delis, movie theaters, sports stadiums and even food carts will be barred from selling sugar-sweetened drinks in cups larger than 16 ounces.

The limits will not apply to drinks sold in grocery stores, diet sodas, drinks that are more than 70-percent fruit juice, or that contain alcohol.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:08 PM   #890
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:16 AM
I'm sure some people will just buy more than one bottle or cup, if that's allowed.

Really, I'm not too thrilled about this, even though I don't drink too much soda or sugary drinks. I understand obesity is a problem, and it's disgusting to see obese people not care about their weight or their health. But do we really need a nanny state to solve the problem?
Old 09-13-2012, 03:17 PM   #891
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl View Post
I'm sure some people will just buy more than one bottle or cup, if that's allowed.
If you try to do that they sew your lips together

Yes you can do that, so what's the point? I guess they think it's symbolic, has some sort of psychological effect. If people want to drink that much they'll find a way.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:20 PM   #892
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Come to think of it, this is the new prohibition, in a sense.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:28 PM   #893
Blue Crack Addict

It just makes me roll my eyes, considering the way people drink alcoholic beverages at sporting events, concerts, etc. That also causes obesity, let alone other health problems.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:12 PM   #894
Blue Crack Addict

The mayor of a city is not the one to wage a war on health issues in this country. The war needs to be waged against, you guessed it, the major corporations who deceive people, who are allowed to be irresponsible with no consequence, who are allowed to value the dollar and only the dollar.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:14 PM   #895
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Also, what about high fructose corn syrup? That's practically in everything now. Isn't that stuff worse than basic sugar?
Old 09-13-2012, 10:34 PM   #896
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl View Post
Also, what about high fructose corn syrup? That's practically in everything now. Isn't that stuff worse than basic sugar?
I'm sure HFCS ia classified as sugar for these purposes.

Solution to this problem: buy a super-uber-enormous-mega-giga-hyper-godzilla-bonosego-sized Coke, and put a small (or not small) amount of your spirit of choice in it.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:19 PM   #897
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Solution to this problem: buy a super-uber-enormous-mega-giga-hyper-godzilla-bonosego-sized Coke
Old 09-13-2012, 11:54 PM   #898
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitize View Post
Solution to this problem: buy a super-uber-enormous-mega-giga-hyper-godzilla-bonosego-sized Coke, and put a small (or not small) amount of your spirit of choice in it.

I kind of want to use the phrase "bonosego-sized" the next time I go and order a drink from somewhere now .
Old 09-13-2012, 11:56 PM   #899
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post

I kind of want to use the phrase "bonosego-sized" the next time I go and order a drink from somewhere now .
A frighteningly large number of people would have no problem understanding what you meant.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:23 PM   #900
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Kids! Hide that bag of Flamin' Hot Cheetos.

I heard today a few schools in California are
confiscating such dire contraband.

Schools consider Flamin’ Hot Cheetos ban over ‘health hazard’