The F$$d P$lice are C$ming - Page 57 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2012, 06:12 PM   #841
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse
High Fructose Corn Syrup is one ingredient in foods
I wish the Food Police would ban, but I doubt they will.
Too much $$$ being made.

Another alarm on HFCS:
US Autism Spike Linked To High-Fructose Corn Syrup � The Talk Radio News Service
Why do you believe in the food police in some cases but not others? I thought you believed in moderation of all things? Seems hypocritical doesn't it?

Or maybe another question, why do you believe this science and not the science that links smoking to cancer?

Old 04-12-2012, 11:57 PM   #842
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 02:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Or maybe another question, why do you believe this science and not the science that links smoking to cancer?
I haven't read every post the guy's made, but seriously, there are actually still people out there who don't believe smoking causes cancer? I refuse to believe anyone is that dense.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-13-2012, 06:35 AM   #843
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
I haven't read every post the guy's made, but seriously, there are actually still people out there who don't believe smoking causes cancer? I refuse to believe anyone is that dense.
Believe it
Old 06-03-2012, 02:49 PM   #844
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

George Will on NYC soda ban: ‘The essence of contemporary liberalism,’ ‘preposterous,’ ‘sinister’ | The Daily Caller

Quote:

George Will on NYC soda ban: ‘The essence of contemporary liberalism,’ ‘preposterous,’ ‘sinister’

New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg is taking a lot of heat for his move to combat obesity by banning the sale of large carbonated beverages in his city.

The latest criticism comes from Washington Post columnist George Will, who explained on Sunday’s broadcast of ABC’s “This Week with George Stephanopoulos” why Bloomberg’s move represents the flaws of liberalism.

“Let me read what Michael Bloomberg said. because in one sentence he’s got the essence of contemporary liberalism — that is something preposterous and something sinister,” Will said. “Listen to this: ‘We’re not taking away anyone’s right to do things.’ Could have fooled me. “We’re simply forcing you to understand.’ Now, that’s modern liberalism — the like of bossing people around, the kind of irritable gesture.”
I miss a lot of news during Indy 500 week including this but I'll expand on Mr Will's comments.

This is an example of liberal fascism for those of you that scoffed at Jonah Goldberg's book title of a few years back. Whether the soft tyranny of the Nanny State or the totalitarianism of a N Korea, any philosophy that promotes a utopian vision of "experts" and "the ruling class" over individual choice and free enterprise requires some degree of, as the Mayor so eloquently states, "forcing you to understand."
Old 06-03-2012, 03:22 PM   #845
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Now, that’s modern liberalism — the like of bossing people around
Riiiight, because only liberals do that.

That's not modern liberalism - that's politics. Or would you like to try and argue that conservatives don't try to push their views on others?
Old 06-03-2012, 04:15 PM   #846
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:49 AM
Didn't he run on the platform of wanting to do things like this? It's sort of what they voted for.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:31 PM   #847
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post

That's not modern liberalism - that's politics. Or would you like to try and argue that conservatives don't try to push their views on others?
Thank you.

And for the record, I think the soda ban is stupid. Jon Stewart had a great rant about it on "The Daily Show" the other night.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:02 PM   #848
Blue Crack Addict

I think it's stupid too. Even though no human needs to drink that much soda, if you still choose to well it should be your choice. You could always buy a bunch of smaller ones and drink them all at once. So it just seems silly and pointless to me, not fascist. NYC must be a blissful utopia, if the mayor is so fixated on big gulps.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:07 PM   #849
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post

Conservatives advocate and discuss.

Liberals seek to make the law suit their own particular prejudice, and enforce it onto others.

Big difference.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:19 PM   #850
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Um, no?
Old 06-04-2012, 07:22 PM   #851
Blue Crack Addict

They're only advocating and discussing that women surrender all privacy about their vaginas. Just for starters.

I appreciate their advice and counsel so much
Old 06-04-2012, 07:53 PM   #852
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
I haven't found this to be true, not in real life, and especially not in here.

There's a reason echo chambers like talk radio don't work on the left.

Quote:
Liberals seek to make the law suit their own particular prejudice, and enforce it onto others.
Hmmm, right... So when it came to women's rights, marriage equality, and pretty much every social issue of the last century it was conservatives on the right side of history? It wasn't conservatives seeking to make the law suit their own biases?

I'll have to remember that.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:42 PM   #853
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Big difference.
Maybe in your country. Not in the United States.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:46 PM   #854
Acrobat

Local Time: 08:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Why do you believe in the food police in some cases but not others? I thought you believed in moderation of all things? Seems hypocritical doesn't it?

I don't know anything about the person you're responding to, but I will say that HFCS is bad for you and there is a lot of science to prove it (look up the countless studies done on its effects, if I remember to I'll come back with some links later). I don't think it should be banned per say, but I do think it should be restricted. There needs to be some law against putting it in everything. Seriously, it's in everything. It's in bread. It's in ketchup. Why?

I switched out a bunch of staple foods that had HFCS in them to alternatives without HFCS (bread, milk, snacks) and I noticed a huge difference in how I felt within a month.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:33 PM   #855
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyfreckles View Post
I don't know anything about the person you're responding to, but I will say that HFCS is bad for you and there is a lot of science to prove it (look up the countless studies done on its effects, if I remember to I'll come back with some links later). I don't think it should be banned per say, but I do think it should be restricted. There needs to be some law against putting it in everything. Seriously, it's in everything. It's in bread. It's in ketchup. Why?
I was mainly questioning this poster on his inconsistent stances.

And I thought that particular link was pretty weak on real science and evidence. I mean how does one deny the overwhelming evidence that smoking is bad for you, yet fall completely for that article?

I'm fairly aware of the evidence that HFCS is bad for you.