The F$$d P$lice are C$ming - Page 52 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2012, 03:08 PM   #766
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:20 AM
Part of why so many people are flocking to it is that many of us find ourselves surrounded by gluten-free people. For example, if I am having a house party or hosting a dinner, I know that there will be at least one good friend (but often 2 or 3) who are gluten-free. Only one of the 3 has been properly diagnosed with celiac disease as a very young child. The others are following gluten-free diets on the advice of their doctors, as a means of controlling IBS or IBS-like symptoms.

So what happens is that if you're going to be a thoughtful host, you'll go out there and buy an appetizer or two or a snack or two that is gluten-free to accomodate them. And when your other friends throw a party, they will too. My Mom remarked that she had a whole bunch of rice-based cookies and crackers left from hosting her co-workers before Christmas, because there were two that would not eat gluten. So the numbers of purchasers is inflated not just because of those who are gluten-free, but because of a host of other people conforming to their needs. That's why I think it's popping up in workplace or school cafeterias, etc. The wholesale of gluten-free products has got to go up disproportionately.

Old 02-01-2012, 03:58 PM   #767
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 08:20 AM
I guess that could partly explain it. We usually have small groups over for dinner a couple times a month and host fairly large parties with 'finger food' a few times a year, but to date the only 'gluten free' guest we've ever encountered is a friend of our daughter's who's allergic to dairy and wheat. Maybe it's unusual to come across wheat problems that rarely, I don't know. We've never bought anything special for her though; if she's over for dinner we might have for example a Chinese meal, and for parties what we generally do anyway is make a variety of meze, because that offers something for everybody--vegan, lacto-ovo, kosher, gluten-free, spice-phobic etc.--and while we might buy bread and chips for extras, that would never be the only starch on offer. So I guess it didn't occur to me that some people might need to buy special items for gluten-free guests.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 02-01-2012, 07:23 PM   #768
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:20 AM
What's all this talk around here about a glutton-free diet? I mean, aren't all diets glutton free? By definition a glutton "over-indulges" so you can't be a glutton and on a diet and... what?

Never mind.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:28 PM   #769
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 01:20 AM

That was good.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:00 PM   #770
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:20 AM
I tried a gluten free diet for about a day. The gluten free bread tasted almost, but not quite, completely unlike bread. Utterly pointless. Might as well eat cardboard.

IBS, certainly, is a problematic condition for many people, but there is no doubt in my mind that the ultimate cause is the stress of modern living.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:18 PM   #771
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post

IBS, certainly, is a problematic condition for many people, but there is no doubt in my mind that the ultimate cause is the stress of modern living.
I think that this is a very good point. I know that when I finish off a 16 or worse yet 18-hour workday, if I described how I feel it would probably not be unlike those with IBS.

(I just realized that may be TMI, haha)
Old 02-02-2012, 12:20 AM   #772
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:20 AM
Nice source !
Old 02-02-2012, 10:07 AM   #773
Blue Crack Addict

Uhoh, what a hypocrite. Good thing I'll be way too nervous to eat anything Sunday. I hope someone will check that they are really eating healthy nachos.

The first family will likely spend Super Bowl Sunday at the White House, watching the big game over a plate of nachos and a side of guacamole, Michelle Obama said in an interview with celebrity chef Rachael Ray set to air Wednesday.

“We’ll probably watch it at home. It’ll probably be a quiet Super Bowl this year,” Obama told Ray of the family’s plans.

As for the favorite Obama snacks that would be part of a game-day spread, Obama said nachos are “always good,” particularly if “it’s fresh tomato sauce and you get it on sort of a good quality tortilla.”

President Obama prefers avocados as his “favorite snack food,” she added. “A chip dipped in some guac.”

The first lady also discussed her family’s commitment to physical fitness, which is the focus of her “Let’s Move!” campaign to fight childhood obesity.

“We’re a huge sports family,” she said. “I work out as often as I can, usually every day and when we can, we exercise with the kids. I usually exercise after the girls go to school, but they play basketball, my older daughter plays tennis, we play with her. Barack helps to coach Sasha’s basketball team, so we do make sports a part of our lifestyle and that’s the other leg of ‘Let’s Move!’

“It’s nutrition, but it’s also movement,” she added.

As for those cheesy-typically high-caloric nachos, Obama agreed with Ray that they can be made in a healthy way.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:25 PM   #774
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Study finds no link between school junk food, obesity - Worcester Telegram | ThunderFeeds
Old 02-03-2012, 09:30 PM   #775
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:20 PM
i can't help thinking that because of the absolute mess that link was and the actual content of the article you're not going to engage in critical thinking and discussion regarding the results of the study?

you didn't just see the headline and copy+paste did you?
Old 02-06-2012, 04:26 AM   #776
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolian2 View Post
you didn't just see the headline and copy+paste did you?
so that's a "yes" then, i'm thinking.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:24 PM   #777
Blue Crack Addict

Bacon Milkshake?! It’s Happening at Jack in the Box | Video | TheBlaze.com

Alas, the shake doesn’t actually contain real meat: According to the fast food chain’s website, it’s made with “bacon flavored syrup.” It packs a caloric punch, though — a regular 16-ounce size holds 773 calories and 40 grams of fat. A 24-ounce large one contains 1,081 calories and 54 grams of fat.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:48 PM   #778
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:20 PM
Is this bacon trend over yet?
Old 02-06-2012, 02:53 PM   #779
Blue Crack Addict

I think they should make bacon flavored soda, bacon flavored sugar, bacon flavored body lotion
Old 02-06-2012, 03:34 PM   #780
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 11:20 PM
You don't think they already do?

Jones Bacon Soda: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

MapleSmoked Bacon Skin Cream by LongWinterSoapCo on Etsy

I love bacon and all, but yeah, it's all a bit much.