The F$$d P$lice are C$ming - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2010, 10:03 PM   #61
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 04:17 AM
No, we were KD purists, I guess.

If I want mac & cheese now, I make it from scratch.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:17 PM   #62
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
But did you put the hot dog IN the Kraft dinner? That's what we do here (with Ketchup).
OMG I have a good friend who still does that! I went to her house once when we were in law school and she made this concoction and no word of a lie, I actually felt my stomach rise when I saw it.

But I don't eat either of those foods on their own so combining them isn't exactly going to be a huge selling point.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:31 PM   #63
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintagePunk View Post
No, we were KD purists, I guess.

If I want mac & cheese now, I make it from scratch.
LOL. Ironically, "real" mac n cheese makes me sick (I mean, I do enjoy eating it, but it makes me sick...).

These kids I nannied for one summer, the only stuff they ever had in the house were donut holes and grilled cheese sandwich supplies (bread, kraft cheese slices). First time in my life I ever got sick of eating grilled cheese! By the time my shift was done I just wanted an apple and I hate apples.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:56 AM   #64
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:17 AM
Danish hot dogs!

Not exactly the kind of food I would make for small children. I think you should be tall enough for that.
Don't see any problem in warning about the dangers and call for preparing such food in a safer way, but for some people any kind of change seems to be worse than a child dying because it's not old or tall enough for the food it's being fed.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:34 AM   #65
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:17 AM
You've officially gone overboard with the use of "food police"...
Old 02-23-2010, 09:46 AM   #66
Refugee

Local Time: 09:17 AM
I never gave my son hot dogs to eat. When, he was a toddler. I was afraid he would choke. To this day. He still doesn't eat them.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:59 AM   #67
Galeonbroad

Local Time: 10:17 AM
Overreaction much?
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Old 02-23-2010, 11:44 AM   #68
Blue Crack Addict

Choking on food is a very real danger-I had a situation this winter when I was by myself and had my airway completely blocked by a Hershey Bliss candy. It just went down like there was a vacuum there, that can happen. I was able to fix it by quickly drinking hot water to get it to melt, but it was a very scary situation. I swore off of them but then of course I ate the ones I had left by cutting them into small pieces.

So I see nothing wrong with this
Old 02-23-2010, 08:44 PM   #69
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

yeah, i think it's just a matter of young children need to obviously be supervised when they eat. also, it's important to teach your children the importance of thoroughly chewing food before swallowing. though it sucks that they're then taught a whole different way to eat when they go to school, where they're expected to gulp everything down in a few minutes. before they're old enough to eat unsupervised though, everything should be cut up into tiny pieces. i don't see what's so difficult.

i'm certainly not saying the parents of any child who had a child who choked to death didn't do any of this though. sometimes it happens. i choked on a hard candy when i was a kid. luckily i was able to manage to spit it out myself, but it just shows things happen. if i'd been forbidden to ever eat one again because i nearly choked once would be a bit of an overreaction.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:51 PM   #70
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by A stor View Post
I never gave my son hot dogs to eat. When, he was a toddler. I was afraid he would choke. To this day. He still doesn't eat them.
I have a question, A stor - one I'm genuinely curious about: what's with the funny punctuation?
Old 02-24-2010, 05:47 PM   #71
War Child

I think it's something parents should be cautious about, but nor freak over. Do not ban hot dogs. Parents, get some sense and make sure you don't hand your toddler any kind of food and let them wander off. I've babysat very young children and giv en them cut up hot dogs. I didn't allow them out of muy sight, just in case they decided to try hopping about while eating - always a Very Bad Idea(tm). Kids - with or without teeth -- can generally eat hot dogs, I think.

But banning them outright? You cannot be serious. Calm the hell down.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:58 PM   #72
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I heard Big Brother also advises parents to not give steak knives to small children.

Watch out for the New World Order!
Old 02-26-2010, 07:50 AM   #73
Blue Crack Addict

Honestly I'm not sure this is an issue of supervision. Toddlers can and do choke on food whether you are sitting there with them or not. If you cut the dog wrong, it's a choking risk.
Old 02-27-2010, 01:29 PM   #74
War Child

Yes, it is a choking risk. Which is why I recommend not letting the child go off somewhere where you can't attempt to get it out of their throat if they choke on it.You have to be careful, not crazy.

Heh. I'd never give a child under,say, six, anything pointy. But then, I remember being given pointy objects at about four or five and using them, under adult supervision. Oddly, I never injured myself with them, either.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:43 PM   #75
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

How did I ever survive a childhood of weenies roasted on an open fire, lawn darts and riding my bicycle without a dopey helmet?