The F$$d P$lice are C$ming - Page 48 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2012, 01:52 PM   #706
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 08:09 PM
Agreed about the schadenfreude; that was what I meant earlier about finding the tone of some of the comments I'd seen on certain food forums pretty appalling. Most of the harshest ones, like most of the most-sympathetic ones, actually came from Southerners, and Southern 'foodies' do typically have the strongest feelings about her either way in my experience, though presumptions triggered by accent--and helped along by Deen's own schtick--doubtless do heighten the schadenfreude of many (so that Deen gets Southern Fat Lady Disease, figures!, whereas hypothetical-diabetic-Ina would probably just have 'an overeating problem,' since being a high-powered East Hampton entrepreneur is, you know, stressful and stuff). The Neelys draw a similar response BTW, not as strongly, but then they're far less famous. I would never criticize Deen's cooking by saying, "Besides look how fat she is, gross, whaddya expect, she eats fried chicken and fried green tomatoes," not least because I eat them too.

From having read several of his diatribes on various celebrity cooks, I do get the sense that Bourdain's past and current rants on Deen (which also promote his own brand as the food world's 'leading' caustic wit, natch) are really less about the calorie counts of her food than an aesthetic response, shock at a perceived lack of balance that he takes for granted should spring naturally from a good cook's respect for ingredients, tradition and the interplay of flavors. And up to a point I can relate to that, honestly. Definitely not because my basic kitchen instincts were formed in some haute atmosphere--I grew up one of 7 people in a 4-room house, we were on food stamps and had no car much of that time--so I find her retort that her cooking is simply that of people who can't afford "$58 for prime rib or $650 for a bottle of wine" equally eyeroll-worthy to his "most dangerous person to America" hysterics. Anyhow, to return to the aesthetics point, while that's not per se the same issue as whether someone eats immoderately all the time, I don't think it's unfair to suggest that cooking and eating sensibilities tend to be interrelated (though that could certainly be qualified--some individuals will always be predisposed to overeat; the mind-boggling array of foods now available year-round removes most of the constraints that were actually central to shaping traditional cuisines; the lengths to which we've commodified food, a built-in paradox of 'food media' as Bourdain acknowledges, don't help matters and greatly accelerate phenomena that were always there, like yesterday's fumbling expression of class aspirations becoming today's 'down-homey' or yesterday's poverty food becoming coveted and chic). It's good and something to preserve in a culture when knowing how to delight, comfort and bring together people through food is highly valued, and yes the vigorous tradition of church/Junior League/community cookbook-publishing in the South attests to the persistence of that, but that's not all there is to respecting your roots, or to nourishment for that matter.

And Interference probably isn't the right forum to post this babble, but.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 01-18-2012, 05:12 PM   #707
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
The thing is, when you choose to make something like a Krispy Kreme burger...
Until now I thought the Scottish invention deep-fried Mars Bar was the most unhealthy concoction conceivable:

Deep fried butter balls and other Scottish delicacies - Telegraph

Old 01-18-2012, 05:17 PM   #708
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:09 PM
America has an obesity problem, and Paula Deen's attitude certainly does not help it.

You cannot put her in the same category as other fat celebrity chefs, at least the ones like Batali who have made their bones working in high-end professional restaurant kitchens banging out hundreds of quality dishes night after night.

When you go out to a high-end restaurant you eat the duck confit, you eat the foie, you eat ravioli, whatever. You don't and shouldn't think of health concerns when you go out to eat at a nice place because it is a fairly uncommon treat for a middle class dinner out.

Deen is preaching everyday family gathering home cooking, and a lot of that unhealthy cooking is gratuitously and gleefully presented. I almost feel like it's very irresponsible of the network to give her a pulpit on cable television. Every time she gushes at the camera holding a deep-fried bar of butter or a bacon and Krispy Kreme sandwich, she may as well be saying, ''Please...kill yourself, you fat fuck'' to the viewer.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:16 PM   #709
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1131 View Post
You cannot put her in the same category as other fat celebrity chefs, at least the ones like Batali who have made their bones working in high-end professional restaurant kitchens banging out hundreds of quality dishes night after night.

in all fairness, she started out selling bag lunches to people in Savannah. she built up from there eventually opening a restaurant, writing a cook book, and landing a TV show. she has no professional training, she grew up poor, etc. her story is really remarkable and much more unexpected than that of a highly trained professional chefs working in Manhattan or San Francisco. at least her fatness is authentic and earned.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:53 PM   #710
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Study: Quebec ban on fast-food ads reduced consumption of junk food

Kathy Baylis, a professor of agricultural and consumer economics, studied the ban on junk-food advertising imposed in the Canadian province of Quebec from 1984 to 1992 and its effect on fast-food purchases.

By comparing English-speaking households, who were less likely to be affected by the ban, to French-speaking households, Baylis and co-author Tirtha Dhar, of the University of British Columbia, found evidence that the ban reduced fast-food expenditures by 13 percent per week in French-speaking households, leading to between 11 million and 22 million fewer fast-food meals eaten per year, or 2.2 billion to 4.4 billion fewer calories consumed by children.

"Given the nature of Quebec's media market and demographics, a ban would disproportionately affect French-speaking households, but would not affect similar households in Ontario or households without children in either province," Baylis said.

Baylis says the study is applicable to the U.S., although the results wouldn't be quite as robust if bans were instituted state by state.

"What we found is that advertising bans are most effective when children live in an isolated media market, and it's only because they're in an isolated media market that they're getting these effects," she said. "If any state on their own decided to do this, it would be problematic. If the U.S. as a whole decided to do it, our research indicates that such a ban could be successful. The comparison is a strongly regulated system in Quebec to a less strongly regulated system in Ontario, and we still found an effect. If anything, our study is finding a lower-bound of that effect." The big caveat to the study, according to Baylis, is that it's based on data from the 1980s and '90s.

"Obviously, the Internet has exploded since then, and computer games have also risen in popularity," she said. "So we don't know how well a television ban would work when children are spending an increasing amount of time online rather than watching TV. So it would be very hard to enforce an Internet ban, and the only way to tackle it would be how they're doing it in Quebec, which is to prohibit advertising websites for junk food during cartoons, or even on product packaging in stores. But if a 10-year-old is searching for 'Lucky Charms' on the Internet, that would be hard to police on its own."
News from north of the border. Filter through your own personal beliefs on the role of government, our responsibility to the well-being of society in general, and shake thoroughly (serve chilled).

I think the basic conclusion of this study is:

Old 01-20-2012, 09:45 PM   #711
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I teach in a middle school and in the past ten years the powers in charge have taken out the vending machines of soda and candy.

Oh yeah, that fights obesity

Study: Junk food at middle schools doesn't weigh on student obesity | StarTribune.com
Old 01-21-2012, 02:11 PM   #712
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse View Post
I teach in a middle school and in the past ten years the powers in charge have taken out the vending machines of soda and candy.

Oh yeah, that fights obesity

Study: Junk food at middle schools doesn't weigh on student obesity | StarTribune.com
Let's be honest, though, if your middle school is anything like my U.S. middle school from the early 2000s, lunch must be a lot of bread-based products stuffed with meat and cheese and tomato sauce then stuffed in the microwave.

Cutting vending machines doesn't do much good if the caf is serving up pizza rolls and those low-quality frozen french fries that are soft and taste more of cheese than actual spud.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:36 PM   #713
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
the vending machines of soda and candy.
You sound like someone who just stepped out of a time machine from 500 years ago and is trying to blend in
Old 01-21-2012, 11:48 PM   #714
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1131 View Post
Let's be honest, though, if your middle school is anything like my U.S. middle school from the early 2000s, lunch must be a lot of bread-based products stuffed with meat and cheese and tomato sauce then stuffed in the microwave.

Cutting vending machines doesn't do much good if the caf is serving up pizza rolls and those low-quality frozen french fries that are soft and taste more of cheese than actual spud.
there's very little meat in these gym mats.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:00 PM   #715
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Movie popcorn use to be so good before the Food Police
banned it.

Remember?

Huge See, I Told You So: Coconut Oil is Good for You - The Rush Limbaugh Show

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/02/di...er=rss&emc=rss
Old 01-22-2012, 09:06 PM   #716
Blue Crack Supplier

first, i'd love to see the America you think you grew up in. it sounds like it was lovely.

second, is Rush Limbaugh really the person we should look to for food advice?

Old 01-22-2012, 09:09 PM   #717
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
first, i'd love to see the America you think you grew up in. it sounds like it was lovely.

second, is Rush Limbaugh really the person we should look to for food advice?

First, did you even take time to read the article?
Old 01-22-2012, 09:10 PM   #718
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
First, did you even take time to read the article?

yup.

i've since moved on to an article where Rush trashes Marianne Gingrich.

i see you just added another link. here's a paragraph you should notice:

Quote:
According to Thomas Brenna, a professor of nutritional sciences at Cornell University who has extensively reviewed the literature on coconut oil, a considerable part of its stigma can be traced to one major factor.

“Most of the studies involving coconut oil were done with partially hydrogenated coconut oil, which researchers used because they needed to raise the cholesterol levels of their rabbits in order to collect certain data,” Dr. Brenna said. “Virgin coconut oil, which has not been chemically treated, is a different thing in terms of a health risk perspective. And maybe it isn’t so bad for you after all.”

Partial hydrogenation creates dreaded trans fats. It also destroys many of the good essential fatty acids, antioxidants and other positive components present in virgin coconut oil. And while it’s true that most of the fats in virgin coconut oil are saturated, opinions are changing on whether saturated fats are the arterial villains they were made out to be. “I think we in the nutrition field are beginning to say that saturated fats are not so bad, and the evidence that said they were is not so strong,” Dr. Brenna said.

pretty sure that movie theater popcorn was made with partially hydrogenated coconut oil -- quite different from the virgin coconut oil which has not ben chemically treated.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:16 PM   #719
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
yup.

i've since moved on to an article where Rush trashes Marianne Gingrich.

Awaiting your thoughts on popcorn
Old 01-22-2012, 09:18 PM   #720
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Awaiting your thoughts on popcorn

do you not read on purpose?

Rush wasn't talking about pop corn either. he was trashing "government."

and, finally, it doesn't matter how "good" coconut oil is for you -- the serving sizes at the movie theater are unhealthy for anyone.