The F$$d P$lice are C$ming - Page 46 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-11-2012, 08:42 PM   #676
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511
i remember being floored while in Western PA and being served french fries in my salad. and that, too, was drowned in shredded cheese.

not that it wasn't good.
they put fries in everything in pittsburgh.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:39 PM   #677
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 07:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse
NYC Mayor Bloomberg, one of the Food Police's most active crusaders is, after his successful campaign against tobacco and trans-fats, is on the move again fighting to make the city "The Nanny Capital of the World".

His new target is alcoholic beverages.

Mayor Bloomberg Plans To Limit Alcohol Sales And Advertising In New Health Initiative [UPDATE]
and this is bad...how? i guess we all have the right to drink and drive, kill innocent people in the process, and eventually die of cirrhosis of the liver at the age of 50?

i'm glad someone wants to limit this stuff. tbh this almost makes me want to move to new york in support. alcohol's often seen as this awesome drink that makes people fun and inhibited. you get funny movies like the hangover where lol you won't believe the wacky shenanigans we did last night! there's a dark side to alcohol. see, when you drink, i'm talking when you get drunk, you don't stay fun or flirty forever. you become the sad drunk or the angry drunk. at the very least, you've suddenly made yourself the least popular person. but it shows the effects of alcohol as a depressant.

Old 01-12-2012, 05:11 PM   #678
Blue Crack Addict

I agree, I don't see how it's bad either. No one is outlawing alcohol-not yet. But that's probably next on Bloomberg's (and Michelle Obama's) agenda. I bet she had the President bankrupt Hostess too.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:29 PM   #679
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Alcohol is cool and everyone regardless of age should be able to drink as much as they want wherever they want.

No more rules. No more food police.

I am enjoying a filterless smoke and a bottle of jack in the back of iron horse's classroom right now.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:59 PM   #680
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:41 AM
CHEESE!

I'm half man, half cheese.

And I love cheddar, but the standard branded supermarket stuff isn't even remotely good. It's Spam cheese, really. Tastes nothing like 'real' cheddar.

This is the shop in my neighbourhood that I can hear calling out for me, continually...

http://www.lafromagerie.co.uk/
Old 01-12-2012, 06:01 PM   #681
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 05:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earnie Shavers View Post
Marry me.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:06 PM   #682
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

If you're half wine, we're good to go.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:16 PM   #683
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
i remember being floored while in Western PA and being served french fries in my salad. and that, too, was drowned in shredded cheese.
And we wonder why people are fat.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:24 PM   #684
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earnie Shavers View Post
Old 01-12-2012, 06:25 PM   #685
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 05:41 PM
I'M A MOOOOOOOOOOOOONSTER!!!!!!!!!!!!l!!!!!!!!
Old 01-14-2012, 06:52 PM   #686
Blue Crack Addict

So she takes a drug and gets a big money deal with Novartis-assuming she's not promoting it for free. Butter really pays, I guess.

She has been criticised for promoting fat-laden, unhealthy recipes.

Now it seems that Paula Deen - the Southern TV cook who once said she couldn't live without butter and a deep-fat fryer - may be set to reveal she has Type 2 diabetes.

For nearly a year the plus-size mother-of-two has been the target of rumours that she has encouraged her fans to eat her high-fat, sugary meals, while secretly hiding her Type 2 diabetes diagnosis.

On Friday the rumours resurfaced after the iPad publication The Daily claimed that Paula is set to reveal she has the deadly disease.

The online paper also alleged that the cook has signed a deal with a pharmaceutical company and will soon be promoting diabetes medication.

Hours later NBC released a statement that Paula will be exclusively addressing the issue on the Today show on Tuesday morning.

The interview with presenter Al Roker will come just days before the Georgia native turns 65.

Ironically, last year she told the Today show that she couldn't live without butter or her deep-fryer.

When asked by a reporter which food item she couldn't live without, Paula said: 'Butter.'

The silver-haired TV personality said: 'Some people say they couldn't do without olive oil.

'I could do without olive oil a lot quicker than I could do without butter.'

Asked what was her must-have gadget she said: 'It's my deep-fryer.'

The Southerner went on to encourage people who are renovating their kitchens to look into buying a 'commercial' deep-fryer.

Last year, fellow TV cook, Anthony Bourdain lambasted her, saying in an interview with TV Guide that she was 'the worst, most dangerous person to America' who 'revels in her unholy connections with evil corporations' and is 'proud of the fact that her food is f***ing bad for you.'

His comments came a few months after the National Enquirer ran a story alleging she had been hiding her diabetes diagnosis for years, while encouraging her fans to eat unhealthily.

According to the magazine, Paula is said to be under doctor's orders to steer clear of the foods.

Leading endocrinologist Dr Daniel Lorber said: 'Diabetes can be deadly because it increases your risk of heart disease, kidney failure and stroke.

'And Type 2 diabetes can be directly related to obesity, which is reaching epidemic proportions in this country.'

A family friend supposedly told the Enquirer: 'When Paula was diagnosed with diabetes I think she was worried that if her secret got out, it would make her look like a hypocrite.

'Ironically, the very thing that made her rich and famous turned her into a poster child for what could happen if you follow in her footsteps.'

One of the cook's most famous dishes is the Lady's Brunch Burger, which is a hamburger topped with bacon and a fried egg and served on a glazed doughnut.

Her devastation at allegedly being diagnosed with diabetes went further than her career - the friend told the Enquirer that she simply loves to eat high-fat, high-calorie foods.

The source said: 'At first she resisted doctor's orders to drastically change her diet, but eventually she realised that if she didn't it would put her into an early grave.'

Her health conscious husband Michael Groover is said to have helped to persuade Paula to change her ways, added the source.

'Paula wasn't happy about it, but she eventually modified her eating habits by cutting the large portions of high-fat, high calorie foods from her diet,' the family friend said.

'She even dropped quite a bit of weight.

'Hopefully she'll come clean to her fans. Paula is so popular that her honesty could help people change their lives."
Old 01-14-2012, 10:31 PM   #687
Forum Moderator

Novartis has denied having any relationship with Deen.

I read a couple Southern food forums and unsurprisingly, this is big buzz there. I'm not myself fond of either Deen's cooking style or her TV persona, but I have nothing against her personally and found the tone of some of the comments I read pretty appalling. We'll find out Tuesday I guess...

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 01-14-2012, 11:21 PM   #688
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

it wouldn't surprise me. there's no product she won't slap her name on. the woman even has her own line of mattresses and furniture. she's a tv cook, what the hell does this have to do with a bed? why not add medicine to that list too. at least that has to do somewhat with food. had too much of paula deen's fattening recipes? you'll need some medicine for diabeetus.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:46 PM   #689
Blue Crack Addict

Vera Wang has mattresses too, so I guess anyone can slap their name on a mattress. My mattress is old and uncomfortable and nameless.

I don't blame Paula Deen one bit for how anyone else eats-that's an individual choice and responsibility. But if she did hide diabetes in order to protect her empire, if that's true I think that's wrong and as a result I also think it's wrong to reap big sums now off of a drug if that's true. I have nothing against her personally either and I feel badly for anyone who lives with diabetes. Type 1 runs in my family-my brother has it, my grandmother did, and some other relatives.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:18 PM   #690
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
Novartis has denied having any relationship with Deen.

I read a couple Southern food forums and unsurprisingly, this is big buzz there. I'm not myself fond of either Deen's cooking style or her TV persona, but I have nothing against her personally and found the tone of some of the comments I read pretty appalling. We'll find out Tuesday I guess...

neither Memphis nor i were remotely surprised by this, nor the fact that she's (possibly?) endorsing a drug. girlfriend will endorse anything. what's also funny is that if you flip through, say, Southern Living magazine, half the ads are for high blood pressure medications.

her can-you-top-this!?! schtick has worn thin, and while we both thoroughly enjoyed our brunch at Lady and Sons a few years ago when visiting Savannah, she really is much more of a personality than a chef.

a delightful interview, though, as i've heard her talking quite charmingly on NPR about southern food and, perhaps ironically, about the wide variety of vegetables in the southern diet that are often overlooked. that and she still seems like the long-lost cast member of "Steel Magnolias." and she and her sort-of-hot sons are good TV.

i'm curious, yolland -- as a southerner, what do you think Paula gets wrong with her food?

as a northerner who has essentially married a southerner, what i find so interesting is how simple but delicious southern food is, and the amount of pride that women (usually) take in "their" dishes, in their grandmother's coconut cake, etc. it's a food culture that i don't think is as present in the north and reminds me much more of Europe where food is indispensable from any understanding of culture and heritage.