The F$$d P$lice are C$ming - Page 39 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2011, 08:16 PM   #571
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1131 View Post
No man is an island.

Overweight and obese people put a tremendous stress on the healthcare system in the United States, whether Iron Horse decides to make his own sensible individual choices or not. These people cost him, and every taxpayer money.

I wonder why many conservatives seem to have this fallacy of a view that every family lives on a large parcel of land with a home they earned through the American dream and the personal freedom and space to not ever affect any other individual in society negatively.

It's the "plantation", 19th century view of society and in this day and age it's ludicrous.

No, what is ludicrous and scary is that a society will allow a goverment to control and restrict their freedom in food choices.

Old 09-03-2011, 08:17 PM   #572
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse View Post
No, what is ludicrous and scary is that a society will allow a goverment to control and restrict their freedom in food choices.
But if large corporations do it, that's fine and dandy, right?

Old 09-03-2011, 08:31 PM   #573
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
But if large corporations do it, that's fine and dandy, right?

I was talking Big Brother.

How are large corporations retricting or banning choices in food?
Old 09-03-2011, 09:11 PM   #574
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
I was talking Big Brother.

Christ, you're naive.

I'll try and break it down. There are a finite number of choices in food, right?
Old 09-03-2011, 09:32 PM   #575
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Christ, you're naive.

I'll try and break it down. There are a finite number of choices in food, right?

Naive?

You did not answer this question:

Old 09-03-2011, 09:49 PM   #576
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Naive?

You did not answer this question:

The answer is difficult to explain in simple terms and necessarily understandable by those of significantly below average intelligence, or a stubborn mulish resistance to recognise that the way the world works is how it is, not how one would wish.

Your record on here is of preaching in soundbites, not engaging, and failing to address points put to you, so I'm not that bothered tbh.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:56 PM   #577
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
The answer is difficult to explain in simple terms and necessarily understandable by those of significantly below average intelligence, or a stubborn mulish resistance to recognise that the way the world works is how it is, not how one would wish.

Your record on here is of preaching in soundbites, not engaging, and failing to address points put to you, so I'm not that bothered tbh.

Thank you so much for answering a simple question.

Take care
Old 09-03-2011, 10:04 PM   #578
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

Take care
It isn't a simple question, and the answers are certainly not, is my point.

Do you have a guided systematic approach to filter out personal prejudice from your analysis of economic and social problems?
Old 09-03-2011, 10:10 PM   #579
ONE
love, blood, life

But, to take one example, the McDonald's organisation abuses its corporate power and reduces realistic choice by selling bad food to people who don't have the education and/or resources to know that what they are eating is bad for them. It has a proven record and demonstrable record of questionable ethics at the highest level of its organisation, including aggressive marketing of bad food to children.

There are not infinite choices in food consumption, particularly for the working and middle classes. Our choices are finite and limited, and furthermore adversely affected to the detriment of our health when large corporations enjoy largely unfettered market power, as is currently the case.

Denial of these simple precepts also encompasses the point of view that advertising is pointless and does not work.

But, if it doesn't work, why do they spend so much on it?
Old 09-04-2011, 12:28 AM   #580
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse

What choices have GOVERNMENT removed from your options?

And I want you to actually answer the question, don't give me another bs link.
Old 09-04-2011, 03:45 AM   #581
Blue Crack Addict

The problem is that some school district somewhere decided it wanted to do right by its people and offer them healthy food, and that is the worst thing in the world to Iron Horse, so you'll never get a legitimate response.
Old 09-04-2011, 03:59 AM   #582
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 02:10 PM
because the only place to get a burger and fries is a school lunch. that's why you can't find anyone at a mcdonald's from 2-4 pm, aka after school.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:56 PM   #583
Blue Crack Addict

Unless and until every food desert is eliminated no one should ever go hungry. In food deserts healthy foods aren't readily available at all.

Should the Government Pay for Us to Eat Fast Food? | The Stir

"We've all heard the alarming reports about food stamp use: It's currently at an all-time high and more than 45 MILLION Americans -- that's about 15 percent of the population, folks -- are relying on food stamps. But here's a detail you may find even more shocking about the government assistance program: Fast food chains owned by the YUM! brand are trying to get in on the action and get approved to accept food stamps. In other words, the government will be paying for low-income, hungry people to eat at Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, KFC, and Long John Silver's.

Is it just me or does this sound like an incredibly horrific idea?

Typically, exchanging food stamps for prepared foods is not allowed; however, there is a loophole that permits states to allow restaurants to serve disabled, elderly, and homeless people (who don't have the ability or resources to prepare their own foods). And, that's where the YUM! restaurant brand sees its opening to participate. According to a spokesperson for the company, it makes perfect sense to expand the food stamp program and "enabl[e] the homeless, elderly, and disabled to purchase prepared meals with ... benefits in a restaurant environment." In a nutshell, they're arguing that it's better to eat Taco Bell than go hungry.

But here's why it's a horrible idea: As anyone who eats out a lot will tell you, prepared restaurant food costs a lot more money (and food stamps) than purchasing whole foods like beans, fruits, vegetables, and rice. Fast food isn't just expensive, it doesn't provide any nutritional value or even fill people up for that matter. Making it even easier for people -- namely, low-income people who don't typically have access to healthy foods -- to get access to fast food doesn't make financial sense. Not to mention the fact, it would be a public health disaster.

Of course, we can't dictate what people eat: Those who qualify for public assistance are no different than people who don't in that they should be allowed to make personal choices for themselves without judgement -- and that absolutely includes what they eat. We can't stop these chains from advertising their unhealthy food to low-income people; but perhaps we could focus instead on efforts that educate people about how to make the best choices when it comes to nutrition."
Old 09-15-2011, 08:28 PM   #584
Rock n' Roll Doggie

French fries now under adult supervision.

I agree that parents should be in charge of what their children are
allowed to eat.

I'm just not confinced tactics like this do much of anything to really solve
the problem of obesity:
Michelle Obama to join Olive Garden announcement - BostonHerald.com
Old 09-15-2011, 11:48 PM   #585
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintagePunk View Post
I love PB&J too. That's my lunch more often than not (on whole grain toast), and I'm a grown-ass adult.

Iron Horse, your attitudes toward food and physical activity seem very sensible. If only everyone could think that way. But they don't, obviously. So what would your attitude/solution toward those who don't be? Leave them on their own and let them wallow in their own poor-nutrition worlds and suffer the inherent diseases? Should the government attempt to inform about poor choices? Should they regulate? Where is your personal line?
Quote:

Take care
Are you the pot or the kettle? And I even asked my question nicely.