The F$$d P$lice are C$ming - Page 33 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-16-2011, 08:48 PM   #481
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
the iron horse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: in a glass of CheerWine
Posts: 3,251
Local Time: 03:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
If your motto is moderation in all things, how could you possibly applaud the story about the Heart Attack Grill? Giving already obese customers a free burger that clocks in at 8,000 calories is the antithesis of moderation.


You should check the definition of "moderation" brother.

I'm not eating at the Heart Attack Grill daily.


My lunch today was a bowl of lentil soup.
__________________

__________________
the iron horse is offline  
Old 03-16-2011, 08:50 PM   #482
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator
 
Diemen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Somewhere in middle America
Posts: 13,238
Local Time: 02:36 PM
You should check your own posts, brother.

In reply to the article about the Heart Attack Grill, you said, and I quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse View Post
I hope it remains open.

It might become franchise
Seems a bit supportive to me.
__________________

__________________
Diemen is offline  
Old 03-16-2011, 09:09 PM   #483
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
the iron horse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: in a glass of CheerWine
Posts: 3,251
Local Time: 03:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
You should check your own posts, brother.

In reply to the article about the Heart Attack Grill, you said, and I quote:



Seems a bit supportive to me.

I do support it.

I hope they spring up all over.


You are ignoring commenting on moderation.
__________________
the iron horse is offline  
Old 03-16-2011, 09:27 PM   #484
Jesus Online
 
Angela Harlem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: a glass castle
Posts: 30,163
Local Time: 07:36 AM
Is it truly moderation you believe, or that the view one of the books you linked to is the truth? One indicated that what we think we know about diet and health is a misconception. You say moderation. What is your definition of moderation anyway? The medically accepted daily totals for all fats, carbs, sodium and protein are quite clear. Are you aware of the content of the foods you eat, such as your pork rind? The breakdown of fats in your buttermilk? How much sodium do you think you might have per day? It's undeniable truth that we need a little bit of lots of things and that includes sugars and salt and protein etc. For you to be genuine in taking the moderation apoproach, you need to know what you are really taking in each day and then you can gage moderation. Moderation, also, doesn't involve disregarding medical science's advances in understanding obesity or unhealthy living and their consequences on the body. Anecdotes do nothing to support or dismantle an argument either.
__________________
<a href=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/angelaharlem/thPaul_Roos28.jpg target=_blank>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...aul_Roos28.jpg</a>
Angela Harlem is offline  
Old 03-16-2011, 09:35 PM   #485
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
the iron horse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: in a glass of CheerWine
Posts: 3,251
Local Time: 03:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela Harlem View Post
Is it truly moderation you believe, or that the view one of the books you linked to is the truth? One indicated that what we think we know about diet and health is a misconception. You say moderation. What is your definition of moderation anyway? The medically accepted daily totals for all fats, carbs, sodium and protein are quite clear. Are you aware of the content of the foods you eat, such as your pork rind? The breakdown of fats in your buttermilk? How much sodium do you think you might have per day? It's undeniable truth that we need a little bit of lots of things and that includes sugars and salt and protein etc. For you to be genuine in taking the moderation apoproach, you need to know what you are really taking in each day and then you can gage moderation. Moderation, also, doesn't involve disregarding medical science's advances in understanding obesity or unhealthy living and their consequences on the body. Anecdotes do nothing to support or dismantle an argument either.


The breakdown of fats in my buttermilk?

Are you that afraid of food?
__________________
the iron horse is offline  
Old 03-16-2011, 09:55 PM   #486
Forum Moderator
 
yolland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,471
Local Time: 09:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse View Post
My reply is moderation in all things.
Yes, that's a sound philosophy, though I don't think it's as widely followed as it used to be.

Do you find that your students are more likely to be overweight or obese than your own peers were at that age? I definitely notice this at my kids' school.
__________________
yolland [at] interference.com


μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline  
Old 03-16-2011, 09:56 PM   #487
Jesus Online
 
Angela Harlem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: a glass castle
Posts: 30,163
Local Time: 07:36 AM
See, this is precisely where moderation is going to fail you if you do not understand what you eat. I assume you eat different things each day, like most people. So some days you might have your buttermilk (for example) but perhaps then not again for 2 weeks. Same with lots of foods. Can you add up, roughly, and without making yourself a slave to it, the amounts you are to eat in moderation?

Am I afraid of food? Quite the contrary, horseguy. I've been counting my food for about 26 years now and do it without a second thought, as easy as breathing now. Diabetes and coeliac disease make you very aware of what you eat, but there is only so much quinoa and brown rice a person can eat! So I eat junk too. I have my share of sugar, fat and engine clogging crap. But I monitor it. I'm not enslaved. It might appear that way to you, but I learned when I was 8 that I will one day face blindness, heart diease, diabetic kidney disease, amputation from circulation problems, obesity, liver disease as well as an already increased chance of other auto-immune problems if I don't use moderation. I fear being blind, losing my feet/legs, having a heart attack, dying. I don't fear food. I'm not playing chicken with oncoming trains, is all.
__________________
<a href=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/angelaharlem/thPaul_Roos28.jpg target=_blank>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...aul_Roos28.jpg</a>
Angela Harlem is offline  
Old 03-16-2011, 11:33 PM   #488
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,687
Local Time: 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse View Post
I do support it.

I hope they spring up all over.

Why?

Why would you support something that rewards gluttony?

This isn't about moderation...

Reading is fun, try a dictionary.
__________________
BVS is offline  
Old 03-16-2011, 11:53 PM   #489
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,035
Local Time: 07:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse View Post
The breakdown of fats in my buttermilk?

Are you that afraid of food?
Pretty hard to have moderation in all things when you don't know what you're moderating.
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline  
Old 03-17-2011, 12:52 AM   #490
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator
 
KhanadaRhodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: a vampire in the limousine
Posts: 60,609
Local Time: 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse View Post
I do support it.

I hope they spring up all over.


You are ignoring commenting on moderation.
how can an 8000 calorie burger be considered moderation at all? even if it's something you have just once in your life, that's a LOT of calories. it's how much i should eat in four days. the only way such a burger could be eaten in moderation is if 8-10 people split one, and i highly doubt that's what the average person who orders it does, and you certainly didn't suggest this in your posts.
__________________
KhanadaRhodes is offline  
Old 03-17-2011, 06:38 PM   #491
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
the iron horse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: in a glass of CheerWine
Posts: 3,251
Local Time: 03:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanadaRhodes View Post
how can an 8000 calorie burger be considered moderation at all? even if it's something you have just once in your life, that's a LOT of calories. it's how much i should eat in four days. the only way such a burger could be eaten in moderation is if 8-10 people split one, and i highly doubt that's what the average person who orders it does, and you certainly didn't suggest this in your posts.

Did I say a 8000 calorie burger should be considered moderation?

Please go back and read what I have said.


Thank you
__________________
the iron horse is offline  
Old 03-17-2011, 07:48 PM   #492
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,035
Local Time: 07:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela Harlem View Post
Is it truly moderation you believe, or that the view one of the books you linked to is the truth? One indicated that what we think we know about diet and health is a misconception. You say moderation. What is your definition of moderation anyway? The medically accepted daily totals for all fats, carbs, sodium and protein are quite clear. Are you aware of the content of the foods you eat, such as your pork rind? The breakdown of fats in your buttermilk? How much sodium do you think you might have per day? It's undeniable truth that we need a little bit of lots of things and that includes sugars and salt and protein etc. For you to be genuine in taking the moderation apoproach, you need to know what you are really taking in each day and then you can gage moderation. Moderation, also, doesn't involve disregarding medical science's advances in understanding obesity or unhealthy living and their consequences on the body. Anecdotes do nothing to support or dismantle an argument either.
Funny how the iron horse didn't reply to you again, Anna.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse View Post
Did I say a 8000 calorie burger should be considered moderation?

Please go back and read what I have said.


Thank you
You stated that you support the Heart Attack Grill and hope they "spring up all over". Now you're saying that one of their most notable menu items is not moderation. What ARE you trying to say here? And please, try to reply in something more than just a soundbite.
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline  
Old 03-17-2011, 08:10 PM   #493
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
the iron horse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: in a glass of CheerWine
Posts: 3,251
Local Time: 03:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Funny how the iron horse didn't reply to you again, Anna.



You stated that you support the Heart Attack Grill and hope they "spring up all over". Now you're saying that one of their most notable menu items is not moderation. What ARE you trying to say here? And please, try to reply in something more than just a soundbite.

OK, I will try to keep this simpler than a soundbite.

My advice, and I'm not an expert here, is that we should eat a wide variety of foods and we should do so in moderation.

That means, for example, not eating fried bacon three times a day for weeks.

Did you miss my lentil soup lunch?

Many did


My point here is that we should not be afraid of food or gullible to the next (so called) news about what food will kill us.

Do you remember the great "egg scare" years ago?


That is what I am saying here on this thread. It is why I started this thread.



Eat your bacon and drink your whole milk.

In moderation of course
__________________
the iron horse is offline  
Old 03-17-2011, 09:36 PM   #494
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,687
Local Time: 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse View Post
OK, I will try to keep this simpler than a soundbite.

My advice, and I'm not an expert here, is that we should eat a wide variety of foods and we should do so in moderation.

That means, for example, not eating fried bacon three times a day for weeks.

Did you miss my lentil soup lunch?

Many did


My point here is that we should not be afraid of food or gullible to the next (so called) news about what food will kill us.

Do you remember the great "egg scare" years ago?


That is what I am saying here on this thread. It is why I started this thread.



Eat your bacon and drink your whole milk.

In moderation of course
So you admit supporting that restaurant was your ignorance? That restaurant supports anything but moderation.

You will make better strides in being understood if you didn't blindly support such things.
__________________
BVS is offline  
Old 03-18-2011, 01:12 AM   #495
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator
 
KhanadaRhodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: a vampire in the limousine
Posts: 60,609
Local Time: 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse View Post
Did I say a 8000 calorie burger should be considered moderation?

Please go back and read what I have said.

Thank you
i've read it plenty. pretty much, this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
So you admit supporting that restaurant was your ignorance? That restaurant supports anything but moderation.

You will make better strides in being understood if you didn't blindly support such things.
you make one post that says you think this place should be franchised, then you say in another post (in the same thread, no less) that you believe in moderation. if you can't see how those are conflicting posts, i don't know what else i can say. unless you only supported the restaurant in the first place to piss everyone off...
__________________

__________________
KhanadaRhodes is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com