The F$$d P$lice are C$ming

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of them could lose a few too, so eating less would be a good start. :wink:

Ha! So true.

I mean I find it strange that iron horse as a teacher would be championing totally spoiled brats who REFUSE to eat anything other than fries and ding dongs. And then we argue it's fascism to deny them their wishes. Way to raise an entitled generation.

I find it curious how people can complain about somehow oppressing children of their "god given rights" to consume terrible processed food is wrong but yet they give the "in my day" speech about how children were better off. Were children really allowed to eat nothing but saturated fat, cheap meat and sugar back in the day? I highly doubt it.

Yes, but if I can oppose anything and everything the Obamas ever do or say or think -- including encouraging children to eat healthy good -- then it's all worth it because Obama.

Sent from

Just look at the "article" iron posted on July 3rd. Have you seen that picture? That black woman is angry and she's trying to tell my children they can't eat Chic Fil A? Chic Fil A is wholesome conservative food. This is why I'm outraged. No one elected her and here she is ruling like a queen.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Just look at the "article" iron posted on July 3rd. Have you seen that picture? That black woman is angry and she's trying to tell my children they can't eat Chic Fil A? Chic Fil A is wholesome conservative food. This is why I'm outraged. No one elected her and here she is ruling like a queen.

Which article? The one where the district was saving money by opting out of the federal program?

Ha! So true.

I mean I find it strange that iron horse as a teacher would be championing totally spoiled brats who REFUSE to eat anything other than fries and ding dongs. And then we argue it's fascism to deny them their wishes. Way to raise an entitled generation.

I find it curious how people can complain about somehow oppressing children of their "god given rights" to consume terrible processed food is wrong but yet they give the "in my day" speech about how children were better off. Were children really allowed to eat nothing but saturated fat, cheap meat and sugar back in the day? I highly doubt it.

Exactly, it's kinda weird how people are letting their children control their actions and future, while they are just kids and need their parents to take care of them and shape them into responsible adults. Soo by letting them do whatever they want and giving them unhealthy shit to eat, we create responsible adult? Or whiny entitled spoiled fat brats?

Ha! So true.

It appears some here are missing the points of my issue with school lunch programs.

I never to serve them only hamburgers and fries.

My point is that with theses new regulations to foods are terrible.

Examples:

1. Our school still serves hamburgers/hotdogs but now they are made with
a "meat" patty heavily laced with chicken and soy...no seasoning or salt.

2. The whole grain buns tastes like cardboard. I have observed many students
removing the buns and eating only the patty. They agree with me. The buns are crap.

3. Fat free, salt free chicken soup. I've actually had students ask me for salt to help the flavor.

4. Fries are gone with the fryer so now they serve baked potato wedges...again no seasoning or salt.

5. Years ago they use to bake their own pizzas. It was a simple pan based pizza with ground beef and cheese. It tasted great. Today, its a frozen cheese pizza...peperoni flavored only...topped with fat free cheese.

I agree that excessive salt or fat is not healthy but this is taking it way to far.
The body, especially young growing bodies, need salt and fat. We all do. I have a theory that the reason restaurants started serving these bacon covered
dishes and bacon laced hamburgers is so many people have been "fat" deprived. Just a theory :)

Decades ago we did not have this "obesity" epidemic. Kids had long free recesses where they could actually run and chase each other. Kids played outside more.
Our school stopped students from playing basketball during lunch several years ago. Also, if they go outside to eat lunch. They must remain seated at the tables. Teachers on duty keep a sharp eye on any student to starts walking or around or, God forbid, actually start running.

Gym classes use to based more on physical training (getting into shape) instead of learning to play a game and get along with each other. Dodge ball has been dropped from approved games.

Another factor, I think, is the increasing use of high fructose beginning in the early 1980s in sodas and hundreds of food items.

Okay that sounds a bit like overdoing it yes, to completely ban fat and salt from their diets is too much. sounds like it needs a better balance.

This has gotten me curious, if the meals are so regulated, what do they do about the drinks?

That's if you believe that people are being served chicken stock and soup and potatoes with ZERO salt.

Much more likely it's "reduced sodium" as ZERO salt is nearly inedible. iron horse isn't known for accuracy in reporting.

The children can still eat salt and drink lard as much as they want to at home.
So I don't think the school meals will mean they'll be deprived of all these goodies.

I eat very little salt, so it's very obvious to me how much salt there really is in ready made food items. So yeah, could be that it's reduced. People easily can tell since salt strengthens the flavours. But it is easy to get used to, just takes time. The other way around is funny too, since I've always had a low blood pressure, I should be eating more salt. But it took me a while to get used to! :lol:

I also like bland food, I always thought it was strange until a medical researcher told me that typically people who like bland food have way more taste buds on their tongues so they just feel like everything is already flavoured.

You can also season your food healthily with fresh herbs, etc for flavour. The spoiled kids complaining want the sort of seasoning that has salt, MSG, etc.

Decades ago we did not have this "obesity" epidemic. Kids had long free recesses where they could actually run and chase each other. Kids played outside more.
Our school stopped students from playing basketball during lunch several years ago. Also, if they go outside to eat lunch. They must remain seated at the tables. Teachers on duty keep a sharp eye on any student to starts walking or around or, God forbid, actually start running.

Gym classes use to based more on physical training (getting into shape) instead of learning to play a game and get along with each other. Dodge ball has been dropped from approved games.

Another factor, I think, is the increasing use of high fructose beginning in the early 1980s in sodas and hundreds of food items.

i agree with you on all of this.

but i don't think healthier school lunches is a bad thing. it's a good thing. it's also a necessary thing given everything you listed above. if you aren't burning calories, you need to eat less of them.

and i'm sure the kids are getting plenty of sugar and fat from the take out their parents buy for them because they're too busy working long hours to make ends meet and have little time to prepare meals.

I also like bland food, I always thought it was strange until a medical researcher told me that typically people who like bland food have way more taste buds on their tongues so they just feel like everything is already flavoured.

You can also season your food healthily with fresh herbs, etc for flavour. The spoiled kids complaining want the sort of seasoning that has salt, MSG, etc.

Exactly, we eat almost only home made meals here, with own seasoning that doesn't contain salt. Just herbs and spices. There's always salt and pepper grinders on the table if you require some, but it's not shoved down your throat.

That's if you believe that people are being served chicken stock and soup and potatoes with ZERO salt.

Much more likely it's "reduced sodium" as ZERO salt is nearly inedible. iron horse isn't known for accuracy in reporting.

this. If everything you eat is loaded with salt it will take a while to readjust to less salt. Plus if these kids are going home and eating an "average North American diet" then all their other meals probably contain way too much salt anyway.

Is it the salt or the high fructose corn syrup aka "corn sugar"? My vote is both.

The real issue is the right's disinterest in funding public education. To mass produce food that is both healthy and tastes good in a public school would cost a significant amount of money, an amount of money almost no public school district in the country has. And food is far from the only financial issue these districts are facing. So, the districts need more funding. But they're not going to get it, because half of our government is solely focused on saving rich people money.

So a district wants to decide for themselves the source of their school food, and manages to save money doing so, and that's a disregard for public education? Why does money allotted for educational programs even have to be tied into a lunch program?

So a district wants to decide for themselves the source of their school food, and manages to save money doing so, and that's a disregard for public education? Why does money allotted for educational programs even have to be tied into a lunch program?

You're not understanding what I am saying. I am saying that almost every district, as a whole, doesn't have enough money.

You could also feed them cardboard and paper mâché and save money. You're missing the point left and right.

I don't think I was. I was referring In specific to the article referring to the "ripping" of the federal program. The district was streamlining their own cafeteria program and ended up saving money. I didn't see anywhere that this specific district planned on serving non healthy food.

As an aside I agree with the creation of competitively priced healthy food and that part of our focus should be on a healthy diet as well as appropriate amounts of exercise. As data has supported it's role in the primary prevention of disease.

If I came off as political I apologize, not the place for that kind of talk for me.

I don't think I was. I was referring In specific to the article referring to the "ripping" of the federal program. The district was streamlining their own cafeteria program and ended up saving money. I didn't see anywhere that they planned on serving non healthy food. That is all.

Well you are, because you keep referencing it in the wrong context; first to a joke then to another point entirely.

Read the "article" again, it oozes with bullshit.

It claims the school will net more, not save. It's speculation. And they are probably right, you can profit more on junk food right now.

But none of this is the point.

If the FDA didn't exist do you believe corporations would monitor themselves in order to reach a minimum standard?

Reagan had the physical fitness initiative, it cost schools(and students), do you think iron horse was against that? Of course not, he was Reagan. Were you?

I don't think I was. I was referring In specific to the article referring to the "ripping" of the federal program. The district was streamlining their own cafeteria program and ended up saving money. I didn't see anywhere that this specific district planned on serving non healthy food.

As an aside I agree with the creation of competitively priced healthy food and that part of our focus should be on a healthy diet as well as appropriate amounts of exercise. As data has supported it's role in the primary prevention of disease.

If I came off as political I apologize, not the place for that kind of talk for me.

Now with your new edit, I apologize.

I agree with what you are saying, but that is not what these articles are about. Iron is posting highly biased commentaries with a lot of bullshit and lies.

I'd stay away from trying to defend them and read about all sides.

Agreed. It would be nice to debate and discuss. But moreso from the perspective of someone who has his or her own beliefs, and can share the information that led him or her to that conclusion, and for those involved in the discussion to read and consider it. Dare to dream :)

If the FDA didn't exist do you believe corporations would monitor themselves in order to reach a minimum standard?

I think people are jumping in on Iron Horse in a way that doesn't sit well, but I'm inclined to agree that there's a certain inconsistency as regards the libertarian critique of government power - whereby the trust liberatarians don't put in government (for good reasons, often) is inversely related to a kind of, frankly, rather touching, trust and confidence in large scale corporations to do 'the right thing'.

In my lifetime, from the Austrian wine scandal of the 1980s through to the BSE scandal in the 1990s, through to, more recently, the horsemeat scandal in Europe, it's often privateer corporations and insufficient enforcement of such laws that do exist, that are often to blame, IMO.

I think people are jumping in on Iron Horse in a way that doesn't sit well, but I'm inclined to agree that there's a certain inconsistency as regards the libertarian critique of government power - whereby the trust liberatarians don't put in government (for good reasons, often) is inversely related to a kind of, frankly, rather touching, trust and confidence in large scale corporations to do 'the right thing'.

In my lifetime, from the Austrian wine scandal of the 1980s through to the BSE scandal in the 1990s, through to, more recently, the horsemeat scandal in Europe, it's often privateer corporations and insufficient enforcement of such laws that do exist, that are often to blame, IMO.

No one is "jumping". This poster has a loooooong history of posting links that are filled with lies, saying he'll come back and respond when he doesn't, and being condescending.

We've given this poster years of patience.

if someone can even point me to some chicken broth more than 33% reduced sodium, i'd appreciate it. just because their chicken soup doesn't have the week's worth of sodium content like the top ramen they're used to eating, doesn't mean it has no salt at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom