The F$$d P$lice are C$ming

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But did you put the hot dog IN the Kraft dinner? That's what we do here (with Ketchup).

OMG I have a good friend who still does that! :lol: I went to her house once when we were in law school and she made this concoction and no word of a lie, I actually felt my stomach rise when I saw it.

But I don't eat either of those foods on their own so combining them isn't exactly going to be a huge selling point.

No, we were KD purists, I guess. ;)

If I want mac & cheese now, I make it from scratch.

LOL. Ironically, "real" mac n cheese makes me sick (I mean, I do enjoy eating it, but it makes me sick...).

These kids I nannied for one summer, the only stuff they ever had in the house were donut holes and grilled cheese sandwich supplies (bread, kraft cheese slices). First time in my life I ever got sick of eating grilled cheese! By the time my shift was done I just wanted an apple and I hate apples.

Danish hot dogs! :drool:

Not exactly the kind of food I would make for small children. I think you should be tall enough for that. ;)
Don't see any problem in warning about the dangers and call for preparing such food in a safer way, but for some people any kind of change seems to be worse than a child dying because it's not old or tall enough for the food it's being fed.

I never gave my son hot dogs to eat. When, he was a toddler. I was afraid he would choke. To this day. He still doesn't eat them.

Choking on food is a very real danger-I had a situation this winter when I was by myself and had my airway completely blocked by a Hershey Bliss candy. It just went down like there was a vacuum there, that can happen. I was able to fix it by quickly drinking hot water to get it to melt, but it was a very scary situation. I swore off of them but then of course I ate the ones I had left by cutting them into small pieces.

So I see nothing wrong with this

yeah, i think it's just a matter of young children need to obviously be supervised when they eat. also, it's important to teach your children the importance of thoroughly chewing food before swallowing. though it sucks that they're then taught a whole different way to eat when they go to school, where they're expected to gulp everything down in a few minutes. before they're old enough to eat unsupervised though, everything should be cut up into tiny pieces. i don't see what's so difficult. :shrug:

i'm certainly not saying the parents of any child who had a child who choked to death didn't do any of this though. sometimes it happens. i choked on a hard candy when i was a kid. luckily i was able to manage to spit it out myself, but it just shows things happen. if i'd been forbidden to ever eat one again because i nearly choked once would be a bit of an overreaction.

I think it's something parents should be cautious about, but nor freak over. Do not ban hot dogs. Parents, get some sense and make sure you don't hand your toddler any kind of food and let them wander off. I've babysat very young children and giv en them cut up hot dogs. I didn't allow them out of muy sight, just in case they decided to try hopping about while eating - always a Very Bad Idea(tm). Kids - with or without teeth -- can generally eat hot dogs, I think.

But banning them outright? You cannot be serious. Calm the hell down.:lol:

Honestly I'm not sure this is an issue of supervision. Toddlers can and do choke on food whether you are sitting there with them or not. If you cut the dog wrong, it's a choking risk.

Yes, it is a choking risk. Which is why I recommend not letting the child go off somewhere where you can't attempt to get it out of their throat if they choke on it.You have to be careful, not crazy.

Heh. I'd never give a child under,say, six, anything pointy. But then, I remember being given pointy objects at about four or five and using them, under adult supervision. Oddly, I never injured myself with them, either.

But did you put the hot dog IN the Kraft dinner? That's what we do here (with Ketchup).

See now that's just crazy talk. Ketchup should only be used on potatoes, preferably french fries or hash browns. Otherwise it's nasty.

I hate apples.

Now you're talking sense. :wink:

I hate apples also, if they are raw. Once they're cooked into pie or apple sauce or whatever, I love them.

I never gave my son hot dogs to eat. When, he was a toddler. I was afraid he would choke. To this day. He still doesn't eat them.

My son is 18 months and he loves hot dogs. I don't know if it's his favorite food but he sure does love the word "hot dog." Of course, he only eats vegetarian i.e. "fake meat" hot dogs so maybe they are less of choking hazard? :shrug:

I saw how hotdogs are made on the How It's Made show. I wish I didn't, to be honest. I previously couldn't resist a cocktail frank. Alas, they oughtta be banned because they're truly horrendous. I don't think many of us are truly aware of just how awful they are. We suspect, sure, but you gotta see them made to truly know.

I never had a problem seeing how sausages are being made, or knowing what's in them.

High Fructose Corn Syrup

Before some here declare me a hypocrite,
The Food Police have given their blessings on
the use of HFCS in sodas and other food products.

In the late 1970s, when the price of cane sugar spiked, soda
companies started using HFCS as a cheap alternative.

When the price of cane sugar dropped, the companies continued
using HFCS.

Why? Because it's dirt cheap.

You can, I think, track the rise of obesity in the United States with the introduction of HFCS.

Do some searching and you will find out why some think it is not a very good thing.

It's not only in sodas, but many food products.

I might be wrong, but I think it is banned in Europe.

Anyway....

Any comments welcomed :)

.... comments on what, exactly? Are you expecting anyone to disagree with this information? It's fairly common knowledge.

You didn't present this information in a way that leads to comments, is all. :shrug:

And you didn't mention anything about sending emails of protest, so again, you were just presenting information that's fairly well-known in the US. At least to anyone reading this on this site. That additional information would have been helpful in the original post if you wanted to start a discussion.

You can, I think, track the rise of obesity in the United States with the introduction of HFCS.

This is a very simple approach to these changes. If the sweetener was the only thing to change over the years, you would have a point, but it's not.

Where is the science that does a side by side comparison of the two sweeteners? That's what you need to be posting.

Any comments welcomed :)

Not disagreeing with the premise but you can also track the rise of obesity to the introduction of home computers, cable TV, the use of ADHD drugs in children, the elimination of dodgeball on school playgrounds, the Space Shuttle program, the designated hitter in baseball or an Irish band called U2.

Cause and correlation not being the same thing of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom