The F$$d P$lice are C$ming - Page 20 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2010, 10:02 PM   #286
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
The truth is that most of the people on this earth cannot properly digest milk. Lactose tolerance is a trait which belongs almost exclusively to Europeans and even then, northern Europeans. So it does not surprise me that you saw those adverts as a child. The idea that we now put 5 servings of milk products as mandatory in the food guide when most of humanity cannot actually tolerate it is a reflection of the power of the dairy lobby.
Well, I didn't know that. That's quite interesting.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:04 PM   #287
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
I don't know why you guys find Iron Horse's threads so offensive. Take a few chill pills or something, seriously.

Also, Iron Horse, whatever else may be said about his threads and points of view, has a point about the low fat milk thing he keeps on about. Semi-skimmed milk is fucking horrible, frankly. It tastes like water with chemicals injected in it and goes off a in few days. It even goes off before the use by date. Proper milk on the other hand is both delicious and nutritious and keeps for a good ten days or so. Full fat milk is still available in Ireland, fortunately.

When I was young there were adverts with the slogan "Healthy kids drink litres, not pints of milk" whereas now milk is apparently a very very bad thing indeed and leads to all kinds of terrible diseases so there's a bit of inconsistency in the building about the health freakery brigade, me thinks.

Next year, another health scare. Maybe the fruit and veg will be found to be bad for us after all. Given the amount of chemicals that are pumped into them these days, I wouldn't be remotely surprised.
I find no offense to his threads, but to how he presents his threads; it's a constant manipulation of the truth, and sometimes flat out lies.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:06 PM   #288
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
Take a few chill pills or something, seriously.
That's not a bad idea, BVS. If it keeps going nowhere (and no, that doesn't make it trolling), why bother.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 11-03-2010, 10:29 PM   #289
New Yorker

Local Time: 06:39 AM
don't the toys contain lead anyway?

stay clear from McD's
Old 11-03-2010, 10:31 PM   #290
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Oh, don't get him started about lead...
Old 11-03-2010, 10:51 PM   #291
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1131 View Post
Sushi Marché sounds a bit sketch from the name alone :lol
The chef there was trained by this guy, so I can assure you it's not sketch

Masaharu Morimoto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's the best place in Toronto
Old 11-04-2010, 12:41 AM   #292
has a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
The chef there was trained by this guy, so I can assure you it's not sketch

Masaharu Morimoto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's the best place in Toronto
Nice.

One thing I saw Morimoto do on Iron Chef that I like to copy is Roasted Pepper Nigiri. You roast red peppers (green is fun and bizarre, too), marinate them (soy sauce, seasoned rice vinegar, etc.), cut them to sushi size and then shape them into nice pieces of nigiri with the sushi rice--wasabi underneath optional.

They make great appetizers, especially for people who don't think they like sushi. The color of the marinated roasted pepper looks like beautiful red tuna meat.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:57 AM   #293
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
That is very interesting information regarding lactose tolerance, anitram, I didn't know that, either. I've never had a problem digesting milk or any other dairy products (I HATE the fat-free stuff, it tastes blech), but then again, I'm of complete European descent, so that would probably explain why. What exactly is the reason why one group can digest milk properly but others can't?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Is it too much to ask for to put something of nutritional value in a child's meal?
I've always thought it was rather strange that we are relying on a fast-food restaurant to lead kids to healthy eating. When exactly has McDonald's ever advertised itself as a healthy choice for people? Their food is greasy, that alone should be a tip-off. If you don't want your kids to eat McDonald's food, just don't go there . Go buy healthy food wherever you're able to and then make it at home and serve it to your kids. Put it in their lunches they take to school. Whatever.

I can understand the attention paid to what food is being served to kids at school. You have to go to school. You don't have to go to McDonald's.

Angela
Old 11-04-2010, 08:08 AM   #294
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
I've always thought it was rather strange that we are relying on a fast-food restaurant to lead kids to healthy eating. When exactly has McDonald's ever advertised itself as a healthy choice for people? Their food is greasy, that alone should be a tip-off. If you don't want your kids to eat McDonald's food, just don't go there . Go buy healthy food wherever you're able to and then make it at home and serve it to your kids. Put it in their lunches they take to school. Whatever.
I agree, and no one said that we're "relying" on fast food to do this, but let's face it too many kids are relying on happy meals. There's a few reasons for this, different paced lifestyle, parents not being educated enough to know what they are feeding their kids, etc...

Should we allow cigarettes being marketed to kids? So why are we allowing this poison being marketed to kids as real food?
Old 11-04-2010, 08:49 AM   #295
45:33

Local Time: 10:39 PM
poison probably takes it a little far...
Old 11-04-2010, 09:04 AM   #296
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Did you see Supersize Me? Did it not poison him?
Old 11-04-2010, 09:06 AM   #297
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:39 AM
it's not just kids who need to know this shit. after high school and entering university, every single one of my friends (and myself) gained a disgusting amount of weight becausr of the sudden extra availability of that shit.

one way or another, we've got ourselves together....but if a pack of smart teens (we were, stfu) can't keep ourselves in control, how are the kids going to cope?
Old 11-04-2010, 09:13 AM   #298
45:33

Local Time: 10:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Did you see Supersize Me? Did it not poison him?
that was a fucking dumb movie. i didn't need to watch a 90 minute doco to know that you would become very ill if you ate nothing but maccas for breakfast, lunch and tea for a month. who eats it that often? i'd be willing to bet no one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolian2 View Post
it's not just kids who need to know this shit. after high school and entering university, every single one of my friends (and myself) gained a disgusting amount of weight becausr of the sudden extra availability of that shit.
not working for me!
Old 11-04-2010, 09:21 AM   #299
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
that was a fucking dumb movie. i didn't need to watch a 90 minute doco to know that you would become very ill if you ate nothing but maccas for breakfast, lunch and tea for a month. who eats it that often? i'd be willing to bet no one.
The human body can survive a lot of poisons in small doses, but it's still poison.

If you saw the movie, he didn't even make it a month before he had big health issues. I know plenty of people who almost eat it that often.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:24 AM   #300
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
not working for me!
meet up for lunch? lol