The F$$d P$lice are C$ming - Page 19 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2010, 08:17 PM   #271
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:26 PM
Your thread title is a lie, for starters.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:22 PM   #272
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
But I think you're being a sushi snob. Have you been to Sushi Marche? It's delicious.
I truly don't care for it. To be fair, I am fine with most vegetarian sushi in Toronto, but I don't like the seafood sushi because I can tell that the fish is not fresh. It's simply not comparable to anything on the Pacific coast. Actually some of the best sushi I had was in Hawaii.

You can call it snobbery, but I also spent more than a decade living abroad on the coast where we ate fresh fish 5-6 times a week, so it's really not that hard to tell.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:27 PM   #273
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:26 PM
the iron horse goes to the Fox News school of news editing.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:29 PM   #274
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:26 PM
Sushi Marché sounds a bit sketch from the name alone :lol
Old 11-03-2010, 08:41 PM   #275
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:26 PM
Do you not read your sources?

Do you not understand them?

Or are you just a liar?

Is this what it means to be a libertarian?
Old 11-03-2010, 08:42 PM   #276
has a

There are many aspects to sushi besides just the freshness of the fish. My favorite is Unagi which doesn't matter about freshness because it's cooked.
From what I understand almost all tuna used in sushi is frozen, too. The couple of chefs I've spoken to about this say that it is difficult to get fresh tuna because more often than not, it is frozen on the boat. Salmon is a different story, freshness is huge.
We have an awesome fish monger here in Minneapolis, so many of our sushi restaurants are rather good.

A lot of it comes down to the experience of the chef--their choice of the cuts and the tightness of their rolls. Generally, you get what you pay for with sushi. Mostly, just avoid sushi on Sunday nights because almost no one gets fresh fish on Sundays.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:44 PM   #277
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 02:26 PM
Seattle has good sushi.

I was surprised on a recent trip to Wisconsin to find a couple sushi places. I was a bit skeptical, but saw they mainly focused on all sorts of rolls rather than sashimi, which seemed wise.

It was pretty tasty, although whoever came up with the idea to have a roll that included both tuna and cheddar cheese just for the sake of having a "Wisconsin Roll" should be dragged out into the street and shot.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:49 PM   #278
has a

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
Seattle has good sushi.
Yes, you do, and Vancouver, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
I was surprised on a recent trip to Wisconsin to find a couple sushi places. I was a bit skeptical, but saw they mainly focused on all sorts of rolls rather than sashimi, which seemed wise.

It was pretty tasty, although whoever came up with the idea to have a roll that included both tuna and cheddar cheese just for the sake of having a "Wisconsin Roll" should be dragged out into the street and shot.
I have to say that an average local place has the Marilyn Mon-roll, a basic seaweed roll with chicken, asparagus and some sort of sauce inside. It's tasty. I have no idea why they decided on that name though.

You've got to love the local stuff though. I never thought I would see SPAM sushi until I went to Hawaii.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:15 PM   #279
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Your thread title is a lie, for starters.

That's a strong accusation.

Why would you call the thread title a lie?

A Happy Meal from McDonalds has always included a small toy.
The law in San Francisco bans that from a Happy Meal.

No toy? Not a true Happy Meal

City Hall Watch: Kids’ meal toys taken from tots | San Francisco Examiner
Old 11-03-2010, 09:21 PM   #280
45:33

Local Time: 09:26 AM
the toys have nearly always been shit anyway.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:22 PM   #281
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse View Post
Why would you call the thread title a lie?
Because it is...

Quote:

A Happy Meal from McDonalds has always included a small toy.
The law in San Francisco bans that from a Happy Meal.
Quote:
The law, like an ordinance passed earlier this year in nearby Santa Clara County, would require that restaurant kids' meals meet certain nutritional standards before they could be sold with toys.
Once again you're not understanding your own source. If it meets the nutritional standards then it's sold with a toy.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:29 PM   #282
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Because it is...

Once again you're not understanding your own source. If it meets the nutritional standards then it's sold with a toy.

And once again, you are not reading what the link is saying or what I am trying say. It's about a regulation. It's about taking away choice.

Do you really believe a city government should be allowed to dictate this type of control over a restaurant about something this trivial?

And by the way, have you tried getting whole milk with your Happy Meal lately?

Old 11-03-2010, 09:30 PM   #283
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:26 PM
I don't know why you guys find Iron Horse's threads so offensive. Take a few chill pills or something, seriously.

Also, Iron Horse, whatever else may be said about his threads and points of view, has a point about the low fat milk thing he keeps on about. Semi-skimmed milk is fucking horrible, frankly. It tastes like water with chemicals injected in it and goes off a in few days. It even goes off before the use by date. Proper milk on the other hand is both delicious and nutritious and keeps for a good ten days or so. Full fat milk is still available in Ireland, fortunately.

When I was young there were adverts with the slogan "Healthy kids drink litres, not pints of milk" whereas now milk is apparently a very very bad thing indeed and leads to all kinds of terrible diseases so there's a bit of inconsistency in the building about the health freakery brigade, me thinks.

Next year, another health scare. Maybe the fruit and veg will be found to be bad for us after all. Given the amount of chemicals that are pumped into them these days, I wouldn't be remotely surprised.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:39 PM   #284
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
And once again, you are not reading what the link is saying or what I am trying say. It's about a regulation. It's about taking away choice.
NO, you're not reading or understanding. THERE IS NO BAN. If you're going to continue to use the word "ban" then you must learn what it means.

Is it about taking away choice or asking for more choices? Is it too much to ask for to put something of nutritional value in a child's meal? Fruit, veggies, etc... They can still eat fries and a fake burger, they have that choice, they just don't reward it with a toy.

Do you understand now?

Quote:
Do you really believe a city government should be allowed to dictate this type of control over a restaurant over something this trivial?
I'm guessing you don't have kids, because I would never describe my child's nutrition as "trivial".

Quote:
And by the way, have you tried getting whole milk with your Happy Meal lately?
Old 11-03-2010, 09:51 PM   #285
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post

When I was young there were adverts with the slogan "Healthy kids drink litres, not pints of milk" whereas now milk is apparently a very very bad thing indeed and leads to all kinds of terrible diseases so there's a bit of inconsistency in the building about the health freakery brigade, me thinks.
The truth is that most of the people on this earth cannot properly digest milk. Lactose tolerance is a trait which belongs almost exclusively to Europeans and even then, northern Europeans. So it does not surprise me that you saw those adverts as a child. The idea that we now put 5 servings of milk products as mandatory in the food guide when most of humanity cannot actually tolerate it is a reflection of the power of the dairy lobby.

There have also been many studies that have taken a forensic look at food allergies and food intolerance and they consistently show that these arose at roughly the same time when humans started consuming cow's milk. There is very good science out there that can be used to support the notion that milk should not be pushed on the general populace the way that it is. But I am sure that you have never heard such things from iron horse whose main problem in life seems to be that schools don't necessarily think that it's always best for a nation of obese American children to be ingesting 3-4x more butterfat.

And I don't find this thread offensive; I find the title hopelessly misleading, which frankly is par for the course with iron horse.