The F$$d P$lice are C$ming - Page 18 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2010, 03:14 AM   #256
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 07:19 AM
Not a big red meat fan. I really only like poultry and seafood.

Old 11-02-2010, 04:14 AM   #257
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 09:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolian2 View Post
love meat.

Old 11-02-2010, 04:30 AM   #258
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
Not a big red meat fan. I really only like poultry and seafood.
Same here. And burgers. But I'm not anywhere near being a vegetarian, either.

Angela
Old 11-02-2010, 07:02 AM   #259
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:19 PM
Amazon.com: Eating Animals (9780316069885): Jonathan Safran Foer: Books: Reviews, Prices & more

I'm currently reading this book, given to me by a friend. It's a very interesting take on our consumption of meat and the treatment of animals in the process. 99% of all meat in the US comes from factory farming, and it doesn't look much different in most of industrialised countries.
I'm not going to go vegetarian, but for a while now I'm trying to cut down on my consumption of meat and fish. It's not that easy when you are pretty much used to having each dinner combined with some kind of meat. I'd go to the supermarket and think "Rice, vegetables and...", "Potatoes, vegetables and...". I can't eat pasta everyday. So I keep trying.

It's a very good read on the topic.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:33 AM   #260
has a

I allow myself one steak or burger per month, usually it's a steak because of a client dinner or something. That's all the red meat I eat, and often I don't even do that. It is amazing that the less meat you eat, the less good it tastes and smells over time. I still have powerful protein cravings from time to time, though, and beans just don't cut it sometimes. I'm buying packs of organic chicken breasts from Costco lately. $5.99 per pound is a damn good price for organic chicken.

I'm not terribly concerned about the animal-ethics regarding meat (although sexy PETA ads are always welcome). I am most concerned about the environmental consequences of eating meat, but that is a fair concern for farming in general.
There are too many of us in industrialized countries, and we eat and waste too much. Yes, there is the carbon aspect to all of this, but the water-use issue is probably a more pressing concern at this time.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:56 PM   #261
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

It was interesting to see how meaningless the term 'organic' is to the US standard. Yes, it is usually healthier as no pesticides, antibiotics etc. are used in the process, and it might be more ecological, but if you are someone who also cares about, and wants to pay premium for, the welfare of the animal, neither organic nor free-range or anything like that will guarantee that the conditions for the animal will have been what you imagine.
For example, one criterion for organic, as well as free-range, is "access to the outdoors". Excess to the outdoors, however, just means that in principle, or, theoratically, there must be a way outside for the animals. So if you have a huge barn with tens of thousands of chickens, and on one side there is a small gap outside, leaving access to a one square-foot pit, that is "access to the outdoors".
Similar with cage free. It just means the chickens are not in small boxes, but the conditions are virtually the same.
Source: Eating Animals, so shoot the author if it's not correct.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:08 PM   #262
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:19 AM
"Organic" seems to be mostly a buzzword in North America. An excuse for a grocery store to have a small section with faux wood flooring and green signage to push pricey versions of everyday products. Has to be backed up with stronger regulation.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:02 PM   #263
has a

I go organic mainly for the (supposed) lack of pesticides, hormones, drugs, etc.

Like I said, I am eating complex lifeform that was killed for me--animal rights are secondary for me.

I used to work with a guy who raised free-range Texas Longhorns. He kinda treated them like shit, but they were free to run away from him within his fenced property.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:21 PM   #264
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
Toronto has lots of good sushi places, so it suits me just fine
nom nom nom
Haha, are you serious? Have you had sushi elsewhere?
Old 11-03-2010, 01:01 AM   #265
ONE
love, blood, life

I am serious. and I have had sushi elsewhere, but if you mean Japan, then no. But I think you're being a sushi snob. Have you been to Sushi Marche? It's delicious. There are so many Sushi places that surely you could concede that there must be some good ones. All you have to do is look for them
Old 11-03-2010, 01:14 AM   #266
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1131 View Post
"Organic" seems to be mostly a buzzword in North America. An excuse for a grocery store to have a small section with faux wood flooring and green signage to push pricey versions of everyday products. Has to be backed up with stronger regulation.
exactly. there's so much wrong with the usda and how they regulate things like organic foods, free range, and hfcs. like you said, it's only a sticker they put on a head of lettuce. free range just means the chicken has access to the outdoors.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:32 AM   #267
Forum Moderator

Some CSA farmers raise and slaughter meat (poultry, beef etc.) for their shareholders. This is a new thing though, and I doubt it'll catch on as well as produce-only CSAs have, not least since so few people nowadays seem to know what to do with meat that isn't already dismembered, boned, skinned and whatnot.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 11-03-2010, 01:37 PM   #268
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
I am serious. and I have had sushi elsewhere, but if you mean Japan, then no. But I think you're being a sushi snob. Have you been to Sushi Marche? It's delicious. There are so many Sushi places that surely you could concede that there must be some good ones. All you have to do is look for them
I haven't been further west than Toronto, but you talk with someone even as (relatively) close as Vancouver and they seem depressed and saddened by the quality of seafood in Ontario and Quebec.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:49 PM   #269
Blue Crack Distributor

randy moss doesn't like your meat.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:15 PM   #270
Rock n' Roll Doggie

San Francisco Bans Happy Meal Toys

So, this is how the old hippies and flower power folks fight childhood
obesity.

Law curbs McDonald's Happy Meal toys - Yahoo! News